Wedding Woes

whacky Wednesday

I can’t find the post about the Georgia law recently passing but now Alabama has it.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabamas-abortion-ban-vote-how-senators-voted-on-failed-exception-for-rape-incest.html

If anyone needs me, I’m busy moving back to Canada. 

Re: whacky Wednesday

• Alabama's law is explicitly meant to go to SCOTUS, so they voted against the exemptions b/c they're attacking Roe v. Wade on the basis of personhood.  So, they can't have exemptions b/c then the "personhood" has conditions.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/05/14/alabamas-abortion-bill-is-not-about-alabama-its-about-tossing-roe-v-wade/?fbclid=IwAR3gBimof6Lopzq-BAciLlmo6tm3K62jd3_Jy5F31FcC_21QKKMV16ppCcE&noredirect=on&utm_term=.4d8d293f0b68

Also, fuck them all.  MO is gearing up to do the same thing today.  It is exhausting to be trying to live right now.  I'm in a helluva mood.  I should've expected it, Zelda's death has really hit me hard and I was already down.  Blah to it all.

Image result for fifth element gif chris tucker
  • I also like how there are no exceptions...not even included to be voted up/down...on medical reasons that make a pregnancy dangerous/life threatening for a woman.

Why, oh why, would a life form the size of a walnut or an orange have higher precedence over a living, breathing woman?  Who already has a fully formed heart and brain.  With a life.  With a consciousness.  With people who love her and will mourn her loss.

Oh!  Plus.  I know Republicans aren't big on science.  But when a "host" dies, the life form living off of them usually does also.  Sooooo, what EXACTLY have we accomplished here?  Killing off women who have high risk pregnancies for s**ts and giggles?  Or is this also a part of their health care program to keep costs down by "thinning the herd" of people with medical conditions by enacting laws that make them more likely to die.  Very Hitler-esque.  It's indeed impressive//s.

Don't get me wrong, it's a horrifying atrocity and an assault on all women.  But when the very people spouting "all life is precious" also say, "F**k you and die to women whose lives are in jeopardy with a pregnancy.  Or something terrible happens close to/while giving birth."...I really JUST.CAN'T!!!!  In their own heart of hearts, surely even they must see the devil when they look in the mirror.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IN just passed some shit recently as well.  They are coordinating the fuck out of passing these TRAP laws to clog shit up and hopefully get a ruling in their favor.  

I am so sorry about Zelda, V.  ((hugs))

Clearly me going away for a week flipped a switch in DH, in a good way.  He wasn't a shitty husband before or anything, but we had our stuff.  It's thrown me off-kilter, but I'll take it.  I keep teasing him that I've found the secret...apparently I need to leave more often.  ;) 

Just got back from therapy and am stuffed from McAlister's for lunch.  I could go for a nap now.  I cannot wait to be outside after work. 
  • Why, oh why, would a life form the size of a walnut or an orange have higher precedence over a living, breathing woman?  Who already has a fully formed heart and brain.  With a life.  With a consciousness.  With people who love her and will mourn her loss.
    I totally support people who are willing to move forward on a high risk pregnancy.  But it's their choice, which is the whole damn point.  And how many times do we have to prove that high income people will still be able to get abortions and abortions will still happen, they'll just be dangerous?  I'm so tired of arguing with people that they don't have a right to infringe their views on my life.  I don't know about anyone else, but I feel under assault in every aspect of my life, every day, from the hell that the Republican Party has become.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2019
    VarunaTT said:
    Why, oh why, would a life form the size of a walnut or an orange have higher precedence over a living, breathing woman?  Who already has a fully formed heart and brain.  With a life.  With a consciousness.  With people who love her and will mourn her loss.
    I totally support people who are willing to move forward on a high risk pregnancy.  But it's their choice, which is the whole damn point.  And how many times do we have to prove that high income people will still be able to get abortions and abortions will still happen, they'll just be dangerous?  I'm so tired of arguing with people that they don't have a right to infringe their views on my life.  I don't know about anyone else, but I feel under assault in every aspect of my life, every day, from the hell that the Republican Party has become.
    I only feel a small percentage of it, being a straight, white, cis woman who has an IUD and am in negotiations with my H about a vasectomy.  I cannot imagine how much more fearful I'd be if I were a marginalized identity/race/orientation/etc. 

The friend I traveled with last week had an ectopic pregnancy a few years ago and of course these laws don't address that.  One fuckhead said something about 'moving' the embryo via surgery.  There's no saving an ectopic pregnancy.  Ectopic pregnancy can KILL you if nothing is done about it and your tube bursts.  My friend only has one Fallopian tube now because they could not save it. 

Also, I saw a post that someone asked one the lawmakers about IVF embryos and he straight said they're not in a woman so they don't count.  He also said something about how he doesn't know how it all works and that someone who knows more will figure it out.  I thought I couldn't be floored any longer (especially after Trumpsterfire's comments at the rally about how women and doctors murder perfectly healthy babies), but here I am speechless once again. 

It's so fucking exhausting to continuously hear (white, straight, legislating) men talk out their ass about women and get every fucking thing wrong.  Pregnancy and child birth is a super triggering subject for many women (or hell, couples) for a frillion reasons and I cannot imagine how the head-exploding comments make the most vulnerable people feel. 
  • We already mentioned in the other thread that women in prison/jail will need to be immediately released if they're pregnant or become pregnant.  Because it's the very core of our basic laws that a "person" can't be imprisoned for someone else's crime.

And, while we're at it, any pregnant women in those states once these laws go into effect, should absolutely go get a 9-month jump-start on expanding or applying for their government bennies (if they're eligible).  More SNAP money (food) because now there is another "person" in the house.  Bump up that Section 8 voucher to add another bedroom and more money.  I assume there is also a bump up in what S8 will give for utilities.

I'm sure this will compliment the Republican plan.  Because we know how much they like to fund our country's social programs.  They just love all these babies once they're actually born and want to make sure they and their parents have housing security, plenty of food, and low-cost healthcare to keep everyone well.  Don't they now//s ?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 I felt like I was losing my  mind when the comment about the ectopic pregnancies came across.  Republicans can't science when it comes to climate change, but suddenly they're all real damn familiar with the medicine behind pregnancies.

Related image
  • I like how organs from a corpse have more autonomy than a woman. You can’t force someone to give their organs even once they are gone, even to save someone else’s life, but you can force a woman to carry a pregnancy. You can’t be forced to donate blood to save someone in a life threatening emergency if you don’t want to give it, but a woman can be forced to endanger her life. Republicans have absolutely zero understanding of science. I am so filled with rage. 

• VarunaTT said:
    Oh, for sure!  I hope my post didn't come across that women who are in a high risk pregnancy shouldn't try, if that is their wish.

Just that no one should be forced to risk their life for a fetus.  Or not be able to find a doctor who will give them a medically necessary abortion, because that doctor could face jail time.

I had a friend (born with major heart problems) who had to abort a baby she wanted so much.  Her doctor told her in no uncertain terms that her heart was no longer strong enough for a pregnancy...she already had two children and had been warned each time she was risking her life...and this time death wasn't a risk.  It was an almost certainty.

For my own self, when I was first diagnosed with Type I Diabetes my endo asked if I was pregnant, in the same session I found out my diagnosis.  I told him I wasn't.  He asked if I was sexually active.  I told him I was.  He strongly encouraged me to get a pregnancy test because, if I was pregnant, it was imperative I get an abortion asap.  He quickly added that, as long as I stayed healthy and my blood sugars in good control, that I could get pregnant and have children later on.  I'm sure he didn't want to freak out a young 20-year-old woman any more then he already had, lol.  But that, right now, my blood sugar levels and body chemistry were extremely out-of-whack and it would take time to normalize.  So, if I was pregnant (I wasn't), it was very dangerous for me to stay pregnant.  And the fetus would be unlikely to survive anyway.  

And those are just two stories from my own personal life, where an abortion was/"would have been" medically necessary.  So I know it can't be that uncommon for women to face these kinds of issues every day.

I just can't help but think of the "what ifs".  That was a devastating time for me that involved sudden, major life changes.  And if I'd happened to have been pregnant.  Told the best course of action was an abortion but, darn, even medically necessary ones aren't legal.  So now I'm praying the fetus dies before I do, so it can be legally removed and stop endangering my life.  Nobody should have to go through a situation even resembling that.  It's cruel and inhumane.

It's also obviously cruel and inhumane to force a rape or incest victim to carry a child resulting from their assault.  But any sense of decency went out the window a long time ago for so many of these politicians.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not sure how much I'll be on .... buttttt

tom hanks hello GIF

Little baby almost a year!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxYLcLDFiBU/
    Heeeyyyyy!!!!!!  So good to see you again!  ((hugs))

I hope you can start dropping in at least once in awhile and that the first baby year has been going well for you and your H.  Such a precious time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good to "see" you @MissKittyDanger! Your little girl is adorable. Hope you enjoyed your first mother's day.
  • And what a happy almost 1 year old too! @MissKittyDanger.  So cute!  Are you back at work or going back?

• Good to see you @MissKittyDanger! Been thinking about you. Your DD is adorable!
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    *hugs* @missJeanLouise  Good luck @charlotte989875 !
    This Alabama debacle is a tragedy.  We're literally going backwards.

Okay not being able to post on my phone is getting old.  When I'm too busy at work to do so I don't really have time to fire up the computer til the kids are in bed.  But SSDD over here.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    hugs MJL and Redwood
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    hugs @missJeanLouise and @redwoodoriginal.

Stupid+mean+greedy = Republican
  • @missJeanLouise, that baby is adorable - those eyes! Hugs, @redwoodoriginal.
  • @redwoodorignal, thanks for sharing your story and I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  As a NICU RN, I can only imagine the real earful of truth you could give these politicians.

A friend of my parents was a doctor who'd had his residency back in the days when abortions were illegal.  He was a staunch Republican on most political matters.  But not abortions and was strongly pro-choice.  He said women coming into the ER, bleeding to death from a botched abortion, were a common occurrence.  They often had to be administered a powerful drug (forget the name) that slowed the bleeding, but a potential complication was it could slow the bleeding so much that extremities (hands/feet) might not get enough blood and need to be amputated.  He said it was horrifying to see otherwise healthy, young women in the prime of life, die in the hospital or leave missing a hand or foot.  And for nothing.  For no other reasons than political ones.  Because abortions performed by doctors in a medical setting are a very safe procedure the vast majority of the time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pat fucking Robertson said the Alabama law goes too far.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Pat fucking Robertson said the Alabama law goes too far.  
    ONE MORE TIME FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Pat fucking Robertson said the Alabama law goes too far.  
    ONE MORE TIME FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK
    SMH.  You know it's gone too far when...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker