Wedding Woes

Friday

Hope you all have a great weekend planned.

I have my second catering mystery shop to do today.  It's the second half of the one I did last week.  So another weekend with yummy food in the fridge, lol.  I also need to go to the bank and it's coincidentally very handy that there is a branch across the street from my shop.

Then the REAL PITA errand.  We really, really need to get a washing machine for our next door tenant.  We went last Friday to my favorite used appliance store and they had nothing.  Not "oh, nothing we wanted".  They literally did not have any washing machines for sale, smh.  I tasked my H with calling them to see if they have some for sale and finding us other used appliance stores to check out.  I've done this in the past and there aren't a lot out there.  The ones that do exist are in the suburbs that are on OPPOSITE sides of the city.  So I am really hoping we don't have to go all over creation to find something.  We also need to make a Sam's club trip.  At least there is one in each suburb I'm referring to, so that can be bundled in one trip, either way we go, lol.

The rest of the weekend should be another calm and relaxing one.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friday

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2019
    We're headed out of town for a super awesome exciting booking.  K is booked into a drag king show that has one of the biggest professional drag kings in the nation performing, so it's a helluva opportunity to just expand their horizon.  Just overnight, then back home.  Nothing much else planned.

I am beyond irritated at work right now.  I've had just a bad run of clients who are just jerks lately.  I'm not in any trouble b/c these client have also been jerks to my attorneys, so everyone knows it's not me.  But I've had probably at least a complaint a month about "I don't want anything to do with that paralegal again," and I'm fed up with it.

This is long:  One of them has accused me of not doing my job 4 times now.  I finally sighed into the phone this last time and he told me I was being unprofessional.  I responded that I was entirely professional, however I was experiencing some frustration after being accused 4 times of not doing my job and having to not only defend myself, but proven him wrong each time.  Then he said that he called our office 3 times and left messages and I didn't return the call.  I informed him there was no record of his phone call.  The conversation ended with me forcing him into looking at his smartphone to tell me the exact time and dates he said he called.  Why?  We record all of our calls, you creep.  My manager ran his phone number for that entire date and even listened to incoming calls for the hour of the times he said he called.  Guess what didn't happen?  His damn phone calls.  I very professionally and gleefully called him back and informed him that we had no record of his calls and the entire process.  He still is doubling down on the fact that he called.

Another one was miffed because, even though my attorney told her, and I told her in a follow up call, and I told her again less than 30 days ago, that her money would take 45-60 days, she doesn't have it yet.  She said I hadn't called her with an update.  "Yes, as I have stated to you multiple times, I will call you every 30 days or when I have new news.  It has not been 30 days, and as I explained to you in the last phone call, the [paperwork] takes 30 days to complete, so there is no new news and it hasn't been 30 days."  I "rubbed her the wrong way" and she never wants to work with me again.  Too bad, so sad.

I had another client's husband...who realistically I shouldn't even talk to, but I was being polite, yell at me on the phone when their money "took too long" (still within their 45-60 day period) and then proceeded to mansplain to me how the release and law should work and that he wasn't surprised I didn't know that, but the attorney should know that.  I busted out laughing before I realized it was going to happen.  I simmered down and apologized, "I'm sorry, however that's simply not how releases and the law works."

There are a handful of others.  Even my attorney was like, Why do you have so many horrible clients?  There's almost always 1-2, but I honestly have like 8 or 9 right now that test my patience, horribly.
  • Good luck with the washer hunt, @short+sassy.  So you have a sears outlet? I dont know if it’s used - or just slightly damaged items but the prices here are good!
    @VarunaTT.  Ugh!  Hopefully work can just roll off your back and you can go and have a great weekend and not think about all these jerky people!

weekend should be good.  I have a paranormal meet sat afternoon that H was supposed to go to since he had the day off - oh, but what did they do? change his schedule and pull his day off.  He’s got tonight off for dinner/movie but it all changes at midnight.  
    I HATE HIS JOB!!! 

• Only two more days until vacationnnnn. I am all packed and I’m bringing a ridiculous amount of stuff but I can’t seem to help myself. Today my mom is coming over so I can go over the house care with her. I’m taking her out to lunch and then I have to finish cleaning the house. I feel bad for her though. It’s terrible timing. Someone is accusing her of taking their dog (dog was found wandering the streets, dirty, neglected and abused, no owners ever came forward at the pound or on any of the social media sites). It’s been over a year and now someone is saying it’s their dog. The dog definitely was abused and part of a backyard puppy mill operation (documented in the vet’s notes), but I’m not sure legally what could happen. And my mom is worried someone is going to come to the house and just take her. She has spent thousands of dollars on this dog and it’s family now. I feel so bad for my poor mom. I would be panicking if someone came and said one of my kitties was theirs. 

• @VarunaTT, Yeesh!  I am so sorry to hear about what is going on with your job.  That's so infuriating and frustrating.  But at least the attorneys know what's going on and that it isn't your fault.  At least your weekend sounds especially awesome!  Enjoy it and forget all them.

@levioosa, I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your mom's dog.  I can only imagine how stressful and upsetting that is.  I'm assuming the dog didn't have a chip or the vet would have found it.  I'd think the law would definitely be on her side, considering the amount of time that has gone by and I'm not sure what kind of "proof" they would have, if they didn't get the dog chipped.  But still, it's high stakes.  If she doesn't already, she should make sure the dog is never alone outside (like in her yard).  Because I wouldn't put stealing her dog past the kind of lowlifes who run a disreputable puppy mill and abuse the animals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tonight, Costco/Trader Joe's run.  Working on finishing up boy scout stuff. 

Tomorrow, not sure in the morning.  Tomorrow afternoon we're going to the end of year boy scout cookout and ceremony.  DefConn has to do a skit.  DefConn's going to level up or whatever.  ;)  

Sunday, DH and DefConn have suite tickets for Indy 500 qualifying.  I'm going to drop them off and then they'll uber home.  I may meet up with a friend.  If not, I'll probably binge on Netflix.  Still trying to make it through Dead To Me.  DH and I are watching it together, but he may get left behind.  :) 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    @CharmedPam that stinks about his schedule. What kind of work does he do that his schedule is so unpredictable?
  • I’m adopting a cat and he arrives this weekend and I’m just beyond excited!
    Yay! Post pics when you can!
  • I just had the most stressful experience. I ran out to my car to put something in the trunk and this kid cries out for help from down the street. I turn around and he is sobbing. “I can’t find my mom, her car isn’t here. She’s gone. I can’t find her.” The kid lives a few doors down, and I see his one year old brother on the porch. I don’t want to go in the house because safety reasons and I ask the kid (~6 y/o) if he has a number or if she told him where she was going. Nope, she’s just gone. I sit with them for a few minutes, call into the house, then go get my phone from my house and make the decision to call the police. And then right as I’m calling them the mom comes out of the house. She’s been in the bathroom the whole time, which apparently the kid knew, and now I feel like shit. 

• levioosa said:
    I just had the most stressful experience. I ran out to my car to put something in the trunk and this kid cries out for help from down the street. I turn around and he is sobbing. “I can’t find my mom, her car isn’t here. She’s gone. I can’t find her.” The kid lives a few doors down, and I see his one year old brother on the porch. I don’t want to go in the house because safety reasons and I ask the kid (~6 y/o) if he has a number or if she told him where she was going. Nope, she’s just gone. I sit with them for a few minutes, call into the house, then go get my phone from my house and make the decision to call the police. And then right as I’m calling them the mom comes out of the house. She’s been in the bathroom the whole time, which apparently the kid knew, and now I feel like shit. 
    OMG, don't feel bad.  The kid was distraught and you didn't know.  I hope that kid has learned a lesson about being unnecessarily dramatic.  I would be so pissed and embarrassed if it were my kid, but I'd be happy there was someone like you around to protect them if there really was an issue/emergency. 

Ugh.  I feel bad for everyone involved.  
  • levioosa said:
    I just had the most stressful experience. I ran out to my car to put something in the trunk and this kid cries out for help from down the street. I turn around and he is sobbing. “I can’t find my mom, her car isn’t here. She’s gone. I can’t find her.” The kid lives a few doors down, and I see his one year old brother on the porch. I don’t want to go in the house because safety reasons and I ask the kid (~6 y/o) if he has a number or if she told him where she was going. Nope, she’s just gone. I sit with them for a few minutes, call into the house, then go get my phone from my house and make the decision to call the police. And then right as I’m calling them the mom comes out of the house. She’s been in the bathroom the whole time, which apparently the kid knew, and now I feel like shit. 
    Don't be embarrassed. Leaving a 6 year old outside while you're in the bathroom is not a great idea, but leaving a 1 year old outside under the supervision of said 6 year old is neglect. You did the right thing, she should be embarrassed at the very least!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That had to be scary @levioosa. No way should YOU be embarrassed. You did everything right looking out for those kids. I’d be happy to know someone cared enough about my kids to keep them safe!

At our old house we found a toddler wandering the streets really early one morning. He was crying and only wearing underwear. We called the sheriff. Before they could even get there a neighbor came running down the street. We found out they were foster parents and this was a new placement that had snuck out. It’s so scary!
  • Thanks everyone. I just felt so bad. The mom said the freaking kid even knew she was in the bathroom because he came to see her to complain about the WiFi going out. Poor thing probably just wanted 20 minutes of peace and next thing she knows her kid has hopped the baby gate and the neighbor is calling the cops. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    That is scary Levioosa! Just glad it wasn't bad.

last week I went to the bathroom and my 2 y/o kept trying to follow and eventually he left and I went. Come out of the bathroom 2 min later and can't find him. My H was in the living room and had no idea where he was (??). Start freaking out bc I'd left the door to the open garage open since we planned to go outside to play. Run out screaming for him, can't find him. Back in the house calling again all of a sudden he walks out sans diaper with his pants around his ankles - he had tried to go potty since I was too and my H never noticed he went in there and he couldn't hear me calling. Scared the heck outta me
  • That’s scary, @kvruns. It reminds me of a time my brother wandered off when we were little. Mom thought dad was watching him, dad thought mom was watching him, next thing we know he was two streets away hiding in a bush and crying (he was two). The kicker was our neighbor saw him wandering down the street alone, she knew us well, and she told my mom that, “I just got home from work and I needed to change out of my nylons. I figured someone was with him.” Really? You thought a two year old in a diaper and no shirt or pants four doors down from their home was okay? That’s all I could think about when I saw the kid. 

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You did the right thing @levioosa!  Ugh that;s so frustrating @VarunaTT and @CharmedPam.  Hope the race is going well @charlotte989875, enjoy the catering @short+sassy and the new kitten @STARMOON44
    It's been busy over here.  My daughters and I have a bridal shower tomorrow, should be a great food spread and I've been good all week so I'm definitely ready to enjoy.  Errand-light weekend so hopefully just mass and relaxing on Sunday.
  • You definitely did the right thing, @levioosa