Wedding Woes

Today's 'classic' Prudie: Whoa AF

Q. Secret Vasectomy Was Cause of Our Infertility: For the past two years my husband Harry and I have struggled with infertility. As a teen I dealt with an STD that could have affected my ability to have children. For that reason, and because Harry said his sperm count was fine, I have always blamed myself for our inability to conceive. We’ve kept our struggle with infertility very quiet. Thankfully, our families have never pressed us about when we’re going to have kids. Last week I broke down to my wonderful mother-in-law about how difficult this experience has been. She frowned at me then said, “Harry reversed his vasectomy, then?” I was shocked, because Harry never mentioned having a vasectomy to me, but apparently he had one as a young man. When I spoke to Harry he admitted that he hasn’t reversed the vasectomy and that he wasn’t sure he wanted kids. He thought if we tried for long enough and never conceived I’d eventually give up trying. He’s apologetic, because he never realized how much I blamed myself for our infertility. He has offered to have his vasectomy reversed or to adopt a child to make his lie up to me. My best friend thinks Harry’s a sociopath, though, and that I should divorce him for being incredibly cruel. I’m in shock, devastated, have no idea what to do.

Re: Today's 'classic' Prudie: Whoa AF

• LW - you were lied to!  It’s ok to feel what you’re feeling. That should have came out when both of you were “struggling” with the infertility going on in your lives. And I’m also sure kids were brought up before marriage, right?

• I'm calling MUD because this is a topic that was in a novel I read a few months ago but won't name for fear of spoiler alerts.

If you're struggling from infertility most doctors run tests  AND test the dude first because well - that's easy.   So I'm just not buying that this is the truth.

IF this is the truth then she needs a divorce AND to start being a little less trusting.    
  • banana468 said:
    I'm calling MUD because this is a topic that was in a novel I read a few months ago but won't name for fear of spoiler alerts.

If you're struggling from infertility most doctors run tests  AND test the dude first because well - that's easy.   So I'm just not buying that this is the truth.

IF this is the truth then she needs a divorce AND to start being a little less trusting.    
    He could have cancelled and lied about results
  • Your friend is right; Harry intentionally lied (and continued to lie) and hoped you’d get over something while all along seeing what it was doing emotionally and physically to you. Someone who cares about you doesn’t do that. Get out now. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    With @banana468 on not fully believing that LW's obstetrician never ordered official testing after 6/12 mos (depending on her age) to look further into the infertility.  If it's true, though, F you Harry.  That's some lie.  Love that the MIL was the one who outed him.
  • eileenrob said:
    With @banana468 on not fully believing that LW's obstetrician never ordered official testing after 6/12 mos (depending on her age) to look further into the infertility.  If it's true, though, F you Harry.  That's some lie.  Love that the MIL was the one who outed him.
    And their families never pressed them?  I don't know - maybe she is one of the people blessed to have family members who would mind their own business but adding this all up I just find that this is either a very large ball of spun yarn OR the LW is an easy sell. 

• banana468 said:
    eileenrob said:
    And their families never pressed them?  I don't know - maybe she is one of the people blessed to have family members who would mind their own business but adding this all up I just find that this is either a very large ball of spun yarn OR the LW is an easy sell. 

Thankfully H and I have a family that has never, ever once asked us about kids, including his extended family. We're coming up on 5 years of marriage and in our early 30s - we've actually expected people to be asking but everyone has respected that it's none of their business. Which makes me incredibly happy because we're now dealing with infertility and I don't want to have to be reminded of it.
    Related: I came across this article today.  First of all, good for them for being so hilarious about it all.   

Secondly, this is the partner that I hope DefConn will have one day. He's a car NUT (we own HUNDREDS of hot wheels/toy cars and we can't go to a store without him looking at cars, and of course begging for a new one).  I cannot tell you how many pics of exotic cars I took in CA that I showed to him and he rattled off their model and engine. 

I also hope I don't pressure my kids for grandkids.  

https://jalopnik.com/couple-takes-baby-pictures-with-supercharger-after-mom-1834952478

I sent it to DH and we both had a chuckle about it.  
  • banana468 said:
    eileenrob said:

Thankfully H and I have a family that has never, ever once asked us about kids, including his extended family. We're coming up on 5 years of marriage and in our early 30s - we've actually expected people to be asking but everyone has respected that it's none of their business. Which makes me incredibly happy because we're now dealing with infertility and I don't want to have to be reminded of it.
    DD and SIL knew they would have infertility issues before they were married. I knew about it because DD told me. So I was in the loop at the get go.

I have never and would never ask DS1 and DIL if they are going to have kids. Plenty of people have asked ME if they are going to do so. I just shrug and say I don't know. I know how difficult it was for DD and SIL being asked so I wouldn't do that to someone.
  • @mrsconn23 DH read that article to me last night and thought it was hysterical.   He is a car nut.   Every year he's at the NYC auto show, we have an S2000 and he shops for fun.     Small world!

@ILoveBeachMusic that people have asked you is sort of my point.   I agree it's such a bad idea to ask and most of my peers get that.   Unfortunately I find that many Baby Boomers seem to have been installed with their filter switch in off-mode so they ask those questions more.   But hey - if more couples didn't have the same experience my peers and I did I'll call it refreshing!
  • People also tend to assume that fertility issues can't happen after having a kid.
    My parents had issues. They wanted another, and even though the dr advised not to get pregnant again - they also said they wouldn't stop my mum. However they believed that my dad got a mild infection, and became sterile. They opted not to check, as they kinda just shrugged it off. Adoption wasn't an idea for sheer income {early 90s sucked :( }

So there is just moi
  • I do note that the letter writer never said they had been to doctors or had infertility treatments so it could be true. And if it is then I could never get over it.
  • I do note that the letter writer never said they had been to doctors or had infertility treatments so it could be true. And if it is then I could never get over it.
    Right.  But she should have seen her GP at some point and or gyn . And failure to mention this at some point is suspect.  

They wouldn't have needed treatments.  I saw a RE for an analysis of my PCOS and never had any infertility treatments.  But 2 years go by and she doesn't mention this to a doc ever?  If this is true then LW needs to learn to dig deeper.
  • banana468 said:
    @mrsconn23 DH read that article to me last night and thought it was hysterical.   He is a car nut.   Every year he's at the NYC auto show, we have an S2000 and he shops for fun.     Small world!

@ILoveBeachMusic that people have asked you is sort of my point.   I agree it's such a bad idea to ask and most of my peers get that.   Unfortunately I find that many Baby Boomers seem to have been installed with their filter switch in off-mode so they ask those questions more.   But hey - if more couples didn't have the same experience my peers and I did I'll call it refreshing!
    Actually it isn't just your peers. People have been asking couples this for eons. I think as infertility has become more widely acknowledged and treated, the social norm has changed - please don't ask the couple. Since I have been married, there are many more treatments and known reasons for infertility where as in the past people just didn't know why they couldn't have children or had no treatment options. Now I think people are becoming more sensitive to the issue - including us baby boomers.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Assuming this is real, get out of there, LW. Your husband lied to you big-time.
  • I can totally see how this could; she knew she had an STI in the past that is known to cause infertility, he could have told her he went to an appointment & got the results (I definitely don’t go with H to all his appointments or any really unless he needed me to).

I could see how she would put this all on herself. There is so much stigma around STIs and infertility maybe she just assumed it was her fault and never brought it up because she was ashamed/hurt/embarrassed. I know she shouldn’t feel that way, but it’s not totally impossible either. 
  • I can totally see how this could; she knew she had an STI in the past that is known to cause infertility, he could have told her he went to an appointment & got the results (I definitely don’t go with H to all his appointments or any really unless he needed me to).

I could see how she would put this all on herself. There is so much stigma around STIs and infertility maybe she just assumed it was her fault and never brought it up because she was ashamed/hurt/embarrassed. I know she shouldn’t feel that way, but it’s not totally impossible either. 

OK - that's certainly possible.   But in general these are the flags:
    -HER DOCTOR would order the seminalysis.   She wouldn't go with him.   He would go, make his deposit and then that would be analyzed in a lab.  The results would go to HER doc.   So  if her H refused to share this with her doctor then that's a big red flag.   If he is giving her this line then she's not asking enough questions.

-If she's blaming the STI on what happened years ago why on earth isn't she bringing up her own health over time to her doctor?  

I know this sounds like victim blaming but it's either a sign that her story is Swiss cheese OR she needs to ask way more questions or she's going to break up with this H and fall into the cycle of being too trusting of the next guy.

plus typically women think it's their fault when something goes wrong - especially reproductively 

plus typically women think it's their fault when something goes wrong - especially reproductively 
    Do they? 
  • debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    If I had not lived through something similar I would have thought this was mud. During my first marriage I traveled for business a lot. My ex-husband had a vasectomy during one of my trips but never told me. This was 25 years ago so doctors automatically  thought it was my fault when I did not get pregnant. I felt a lot of pain and guilt. His family all knew. 

One Thanksgiving his aunt was giving me grief about not getting pregnant and my MIL let it slip that he had a vasectomy. This was just the tip of the iceberg. Hence ex-husband.
  • banana468 said:
    I can totally see how this could; she knew she had an STI in the past that is known to cause infertility, he could have told her he went to an appointment & got the results (I definitely don’t go with H to all his appointments or any really unless he needed me to).

-HER DOCTOR would order the seminalysis.   She wouldn't go with him.   He would go, make his deposit and then that would be analyzed in a lab.  The results would go to HER doc.   So  if her H refused to share this with her doctor then that's a big red flag.   If he is giving her this line then she's not asking enough questions.

-If she's blaming the STI on what happened years ago why on earth isn't she bringing up her own health over time to her doctor?  

I know this sounds like victim blaming but it's either a sign that her story is Swiss cheese OR she needs to ask way more questions or she's going to break up with this H and fall into the cycle of being too trusting of the next guy.
    If she’s not seeing a fertility doc, if she’s just seeing her OB/Gyn would this be the process? And wouldn’t he have to sign a waiver to have the results sent to her doc? If he lied about a vasectomy I imagine he’d refuse to sign a waiver (if he actually had a test done which I’m assuming he didn’t). Also if she hadn’t experienced this before, or didn’t know anyone who went through a fertility testing process she wouldn’t know what is supposed to have in terms of process. I would have no idea. 
  • banana468 said:
    I can totally see how this could; she knew she had an STI in the past that is known to cause infertility, he could have told her he went to an appointment & got the results (I definitely don’t go with H to all his appointments or any really unless he needed me to).

Do they? 
    In my experience, yes.
    Not that they should. But often when there's reproductive issues/situation, the women I know take it personally :( 
  • banana468 said:

I feel like it's a lot of missed information. Maybe she's just upset and not going through the whole story since it's to Prudie ...

But you're right, it's easy to poke holes into the story :\