Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

MOB Dress: Not Meshing with Wedding Colors...?

Hello! I am looking for some advice on different colors that could work with our color scheme. My fiance and I chose a color scheme centered around a Mulberry/wine color - it's close to a burgundy color, but has more of a purple base than red base (photo shows the color scheme). We're getting married at a barn, so while we want some natural elegance, we're not going extremely fancy. We have selected the bridesmaids dresses - Bill Levkoff dresses in wine, with the girls wearing different necklines to show their different personalities (example photo also attached). 

With this color scheme, we're thinking the MOB and fiance's mother should wear something lighter, like a champagne color or even mauve. However, the MOB and my fiance's mother want to wear darker colors like navy blue or jade green. We're worried this will clash with the color scheme, but are struggling to find darker colors that will work with this, since everything else is a darker color (they want to wear a different color in order to "stand out" from the bridesmaids, while also not "looking like a wedding guest", by having a color that will match). Any suggestions? Please help!

Re: MOB Dress: Not Meshing with Wedding Colors...?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Our colors were shades of blue, with some burgundy and deep purple accents. My mother wore lavender, and my MIL wore white and navy. 

Tell your mom and FMIL to pick something they feel beautiful in.

Edited to add: Navy blue goes with everything, and jade green would look elegant with the burgundy. If you look at a color wheel, you’ll see that red and green are complementary colors and depending on the tint or shade you choose, they can look nice together.
  • Options
    MOB gets to choose her dress based on what she feels like a million bucks wearing, it doesn't have to coordinate with your wedding colors at all.  As for MOH, stop overthinking this, let her choose her neckline along with the other BM keeping her and their budgets that they've hopefully told you already before you chose a BM dress to ensure it is at or under after the cost of alterations is added.  
  • Options
    Let the moms wear whatever they like. It's not necessary for them to coordinate with the wedding party. 
  • Options
    I echo PPs. Let them wear what they want to wear. Navy is a neutral and will look just fine with the burgundy. A jade green will look fine too - look at mother nature and see how different shades of green look great with any color!
  • Options
    PPs are right. You should let them wear what they want.

And while this is irrelevant to whether anyone should dictate their attire, I think your concern about these colors clashing is misplaced. I wore a similar colored shirt to your bridesmaid's dresses and a navy and white skirt to church this morning.  And at my family's most recent family photo session, everyone was sort of coordinating in green shades similar to what comes up from googling "Jade green" and mulberry/burgundy shades. A few people wore dark-colored jeans, so navy was represented as well. The photos looked great. I don't think any darker or more jewel tones will clash.

• Options
    PPs have said it well, but I also want to add that many people's skin loses pigmentation with age and women of a certain age really want colors that flatter! If the mothers like darker colors, let them wear them. I have never looked good in champagne, even when I was younger, and would have been bummed to have to wear it.