Wedding Woes
Options

He's 18. You say nothing and don't visit his feed again.

Dear Prudence,

I am a 38-year-old single gay man. I often watch guys masturbate on a popular cam site. I don’t perform on camera myself, but I like interacting with the guys who do, and I have a number of favorites. A few months ago, I found the stream of an 18-year-old guy whose routine I liked a lot. “Cam” quickly became one of my favorites, and I always tipped generously whenever I saw his show. He didn’t show his face, but his bio mentioned that he’s a high school senior who lives in the same metropolitan area as me and likes daddies. (He doesn’t know where I live.) I never suggested meeting up because the fantasy is enough for me.

This is where it gets weird. Cam’s voice sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place it. He talked about wanting to show his face on camera, and one night he did. I was shocked when I realized he was the son of my co-workers. I’ve known him since he was about 14 via various “family night” activities sponsored by my employer. Cam has always been out and proud, and now that he’s of legal age, he’s clearly decided he wants to be very out. He’s an adult, at least according to the law, and has every right to do what he wants on camera to anyone who wants to watch. However, I worry that Cam could be setting himself up for trouble down the road, as I know that people record webcammers and post the videos all over the internet. I’m also fairly sure that Cam’s parents don’t know what he’s doing late at night in his bedroom. What’s more, he uses his real name on his stream, so it would be easy to track him down. Should I tell Cam’s mom and dad? Should I somehow tell Cam that I know who he is and that he should be more careful online? I want to make it clear that I’m not looking for permission to ask him out, have sex with him, be his sugar daddy, etc. I have not watched Cam’s stream since the night he went fully exposed. I probably won’t watch his show again, as it squicked me out a little watching a young man I know putting it all out there. What would you do?

—Webcam Recognition

Re: He's 18. You say nothing and don't visit his feed again.

• Options
    agree with title, leave as is
  • Options
    Definitely DO NOT TELL HIS PARENTS! 
    and leave him alone. (Though I might, if it was an option, send him an anonymous message warning him of internet safety about using his real name)
  • Options
    Leave it alone. 
  • Options
    Interesting that he didn’t care about the implications for Cam before he shows his but now is all sorts of concerned. 

But yeah Cam is an adult and can choose to do what he wants how he wants. If he’s 18 he’s grown up with the internet and knows the risks. 
  • Options
    Agreed with all of you, but also...How in the world does he think he can have this conversation and not come off as creepy and judgmental at the same time?  You're not his 'daddy' and you tried to make it clear in your letter you don't want to be (even though I think you're lying and upset you got turned on when you didn't realize who this kid was and now feel ashamed/squicky...and that's on you because come on...it's the internet and life comes at you fast).  

Furthermore, HOW could it not become a fucking HR issue since this is a co-worker's kid?!  I mean, if he talks to the kid and the kid doesn't say anything to his parents, it's possible.  However, he doesn't know this kid and he may be opening a Pandora's box by even trying to approach this kid. 

How does he know this kid's parents don't know?  My 18 year old does shit that I don't agree with, but he's 18 so there's little I can do about it except tell him to not do it in my house, if applicable.  

Borrowing trouble seems like a bad bet here.   
  • Options
    Walk away dude .... just walk away.
  • Options
    No good comes of opening your mouth.   None.  
  • Options
    Wait, Cam is familiar enough that LW recognized his voice, but not familiar enough that he didn't recognize Cam by his real name? That doesn't add up.

Either way, LW is a creeper and needs to quit. Do not out Cam's activities. 
  • Options
    I hope this guy takes Prudie's advice and keeps his mouth shut. Also, is it creepy that a 38-yo finds an 18 yo attractive (or did so before he found out who the kid was)? I mean, there is adult and then there is adult.
  • Options
    maine7mob said:
    I hope this guy takes Prudie's advice and keeps his mouth shut. Also, is it creepy that a 38-yo finds an 18 yo attractive (or did so before he found out who the kid was)? I mean, there is adult and then there is adult.
    Right? Cam is young enough to be LW’s kid. 
  • Options
    Wait, Cam is familiar enough that LW recognized his voice, but not familiar enough that he didn't recognize Cam by his real name? That doesn't add up.

I wasn't sure about that either.  Maybe it wasn't Cam's full real name, ie didn't include the last name.  But Cam includes a lot of details...the LW already knew they lived in the same area...and uses his first name.  Or has a last name that is different than the coworker's.

I would sure hope that someone warns this young man not to use his full real name, if that is what he is doing.  And not after an "oh, wait, I know him".  Just like we do here on TK when a user seems to have their last name or their FI's last name as their username.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Fake name. Alias. Common name. Didn't think of associating names.
  • Options
    I know 18 is “legal” but there is something inherently creepy about waiting for that “magic number.” Eighteen is still a child. They are the least adulty adults. When you’re forty and trying to defend yourself with the excuse of “well he’s still in high school, but he’s 18!” There is something off. 

• Options

Fake name. Alias. Common name. Didn't think of associating names.
    LW says Cam uses his real name, age and location.  This just reads to me too much that LW sought Cam out more than he just randomly stumbled upon him and was shocked to see his face.