Getting in Shape

I can't lose weight!!!! (long/help/vent)

1235»

Re: I can't lose weight!!!! (long/help/vent)

• Hey girls! I'm a nutrition major and as I was perusing your posts, I think I have a couple helpful hints.

First of all, don't tell yourself you can't have the chocolate and ice cream. I'm a big proponent of portion size! Try eating your meals on a small luncheon plate instead of a dinner plate (you'll be surprised that you're still full!). Then, when it comes time to satisfy your sweet tooth, take one scoop of ice cream or one small piece of chocolate.

Also, try filling up on fruits and veggies. Try to hit 6 total servings for the day...they're full of phytochemicals that will keep all parts of you working and beautiful! Plus, they can be pretty filling so you won't be hungry for junk.

Some things that I've found people also don't know are little things you may not have thought of...switching from 2% to skim milk in your morning latte saves you about 30 calories for a large drink, and forgoing the whipped cream can save up to 100 calories! Try also asking for salad dressings on the side when dining out and dipping your veggies...most people use half as much.

The last trick I use is a bit of a splurge at first...buy yourself a really nice reusable water bottle (like the Swiss brand) and then fill it up throughout your day instead of drinking pop or sweetened teas. I find that it's more fun to drink water that way, and I feel guilty for not using it!

Lastly, I definitely recommend switching up your work out. Your bodies and metabolism can get complacent and used to the exercise. Check out kickboxing, pilates, zumba...or even some of those at-home Dance DVDs. You'll find the time goes by quick, as well, when your brain is consumed with a foreign work-out!

Hope this helps! Happy wedding planning :)
  • You can lose weight!!! I promise. I thought the same way after being overwight since my late teens. I have found an amazing new system that was so easy to stick to, because I felt like I really was doing something great for my body. Give it a try it will work for you www.weightloss.isagenix.com.
  • You can do it!!! I just keep tons of veggies around and I just think everytime I want a snack if I'm truly hungry veggies will be enough and I don't need stuff that is bad for me!Laughing  I just use my photo of my dress as motivation to stay on track! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you heard of Jilian Michaels??  She is the woman who does that Biggest Loser Show.  I have never seen the show but her book has changed the way I think about food.  I have the same self control issues and my metabolism seemed to be at a stand still.  I haven't even finished the book and I already feel like I am losing.  You should pick up a copy.    MASTER YOUR METABOLISM by Jillian Michaels.   Good Luck to you. 

PS...  You will be the only one people are looking at and you will be beautiful no matter what.  Enjoy your day.
  • Everyone has really good advice about switching up workout routines, eating better, etc. One thing that my MOH and I do to hold ourselves accountable for what we eat is text each other (usually in the afternoon or evening) and tell each other what we have eaten so far that day.
    At first it seems weird, but it is REALLY helpful if you have a friend that you can do that with. That way, when you want to have a muffin or candies or something at work, your first reaction will be to think "Uh-oh, do I really want to tell so-and-so about this?" You can even start by telling her every single time you eat something, then when you get more into the habit of eating better, just text later that day and summarize. We even sometimes send each other pics of our super healthy lunches because we are so proud of ourselves =)
    Also, if you have an iphone I use a free app called "Lose It". (Or if you don't have an iphone I'm sure there is somewhere online where you can do this). You put in your current weight, your target weight, and how many pounds you want to lose each week. Then it tells you how many calories you should have each day to attain that goal. You log all of your food and exercise, and it is nice because then in the afternoon you can see how many calories you have left to eat for the day, and you can decide if you want a lot of snacks and a small dinner, or vice versa. Good Luck!
  • Stop thinking about food and exercise, when that is all you are concentrating on you will pulled to eat more.  So just stop obessing on your weight. 

Every time you go to put food in your mouth, ask yourself  "Am I hungry"  You'll be surprised how many times a day we eat because of some other reason than hunger.  Then only eat if you are truly hungry.  It takes some practice to figure out if you are hungry, or bored/stressed, bu you can do it.  Good luck
    Good luck

• I agree with everything all the girls on here are saying, but one thing I would personally suggest is going to a U Weight Loss Clinic if you have any in your area!!! My wedding is next June and i started at U Weight Loss a month ago and I have already lost 15 pounds!!! I feel great, am looking great and my fiancee has loved how much my mood has improved!! :D:D seriously its amazing!!
    Thats just my little input of advice :).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards