Wedding Woes
Options

It's Monday

How was the weekend?

I'm feeling awake and refreshed and ready to face the next few weeks! Friday I had happy hour poolside with the kids. Saturday was yardwork and a tball game. Then we spent the night having pizza, smores, and a fire on the patio.  Sunday was church and yardwork and futsal practice.  Holy cow it was long and the parents are insufferable.  Thankfully I had a work presentation to watch so I spent an hour of (of the 2.5 hrs!) with headphones on.

It's supposed to be rainy and chilly this week so today is laundry then I'm pulling some Christmas cookies out of the freezer to decorate.  Friday is supposed to be sunny but a high of 71 so we're going to hit the woods and do some hiking.  Saturday we are going to see the Men's National team play and the summer hits bananas mode with camps.

Re: It's Monday

• Options
    @6fsn All your sports things make me tired lmao what's 'futsal' ?

@Jstump2 Whoo!! Baby's first swim :) I feel you on the lack of motivation. My boss is away for a bit and it's so hard to keep motivated ...

Friday was legit just groceries and M doing the yard. Our neighbour is selling her house {we're sad, we like them} and they had an open house on Sunday - so we figured we should get our yard done. It really needed it anyways lmfao

Saturday was photoshoot. Toddlers getting their photo taken does not go well. Kudos to those who have baby models lmao
    We got some good shots at least :) I'll post some here later. Next year will be better though, with her more walking.
    {note; yes she kinda walks - but more short distances. I think we're at like 6 consecutive steps?}

Sunday we planned on doing some fun things but it was like hot at like 10am - plus she got up at 430 and didn't go back down until 630 .... at least she took a fairly long nap so I was able to go back to sleep for awhile.

Does anyone watch E3? M watched Microsoft and Bethesda - he was already excited for CyberPunk 2077 and now he's just gone off the deep end on joy. I kept giggling, because one part he was just so in awe and shocked at what they showed, he just had no idea what to do with his hands/face

I was laughing because even though this is a meme intending sarcasm, this was legit what he kept doing :')
    I swear, he is the fucking cutest sometimes

Image result for sarcastic shatner meme
  • Options
    @mrsconn23 drunk people at weddings are always iffy, glad it was taken well :) I've never considered cleaning the coils .... not that we need it. Ours is 2.5yrs old, but still.

@charlotte989875 lol watching kids do the most random things is amusing. Mine has started picking dandelions and since this is the first year she really gets grass, she swishes her feet in it lmao
  • Options
    It's Monday!

The weekend was good.   DH completed a pistol permit course so while he has no plans to purchase he now has taken the needed class in our state to be able to have a CCW permit.   That took him all day on Saturday and I was with the kids.   I SCRUBBED our shower and bleached the grout and the thing looks so much better.   The kids and I did a BJ's run and then I cleaned more while Chiquito trashed his room in the name of naptime.   He's nearly 5 and some days are iffy but I still require the door closed and the blackout shades down for at least an hour.    

We have ants.   DH thinks he heard them in the ceiling.   I have been mopping and vacuuming and they're gross.   

Saturday night we had dinner at the marina with the ILs and their friends.   It was very nice although MIL was speaking her version of parseltongue and I know she's stressed out.    These next few weeks are going to be hard.

Yesterday we got to talk to BIL and SIL.   They are in about as good spirits as you can be and we said happy birthday to our nephew who opened his gifts in front of us as we chatted.   He LOVED them.   We said goodbye to them and to our niece knowing that it was probably the last time she'd hear our voices and then we went off to the marina to take the kids on a boat ride.   If there's anything we are getting out of this year it's to put our family first. 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2019
    You guys had some fun weekends! 
    @6fsn - your Friday night just described the ONLY thing I like about Summer.  When the sun goes down and it’s fire time!
    @charlotte989875 - yikes!  Glad you’re ok.  Sorry about the car!
    @mrsconn23, sounds like a good wedding.  Going all the way till 4! Always a good sign.  At the risk of sounding stupid. What fridge coils?  Where are they?  Lol
    @misskittydanger, glad you got some good ones out of the day.  Cant wait to see!

I am a bad meetup host. We were going to go to a supposed haunted forest preserve yesterday.  I saw rain at 4 so in the morning asked if we should bump it up to 3. 9 people were enrolled but 4 dropped out.  At 2:45 I checked the messages but since rain was off the board at 4, told them I’d still be there at 3:45.  Drove to the place where my gps took me but everyone was on the other side of the forest preserve that I had no idea where. I Walked around.  Took some pictures. It started to rain so I left after 25 minutes.  Checked the messages when I got home and apparently they all drove to my side to meet up with me.  Oops!

Edit: thanks for asking about fustal, MKD, no idea either! 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2019
    banana468 said:
    It's Monday!

The weekend was good.   DH completed a pistol permit course so while he has no plans to purchase he now has taken the needed class in our state to be able to have a CCW permit.   That took him all day on Saturday and I was with the kids.   I SCRUBBED our shower and bleached the grout and the thing looks so much better.   The kids and I did a BJ's run and then I cleaned more while Chiquito trashed his room in the name of naptime.   He's nearly 5 and some days are iffy but I still require the door closed and the blackout shades down for at least an hour.    

We have ants.   DH thinks he heard them in the ceiling.   I have been mopping and vacuuming and they're gross.   

Saturday night we had dinner at the marina with the ILs and their friends.   It was very nice although MIL was speaking her version of parseltongue and I know she's stressed out.    These next few weeks are going to be hard.

Yesterday we got to talk to BIL and SIL.   They are in about as good spirits as you can be and we said happy birthday to our nephew who opened his gifts in front of us as we chatted.   He LOVED them.   We said goodbye to them and to our niece knowing that it was probably the last time she'd hear our voices and then we went off to the marina to take the kids on a boat ride.   If there's anything we are getting out of this year it's to put our family first. 
    So do we.  You TOTALLY reminded me about the ant traps I was supposed to buy yesterday.  Thank goodness its a 1 day delivery on prime!

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So glad you’re OK, @charlotte989875! At my old apartment in the suburbs, I had a couple close calls with deer. It’s scary when they run out in the road.

DW got through surgery without a hitch. I haven’t been able to see her yet, but the doctor said everything went smoothly.

Weekend went pretty well, except that yesterday I failed the hemoglobin test again and couldn’t donate platelets. I’ve been taking iron supplements for about two months, so I don’t know what else to do. The phlebotomist at the Red Cross told me that molasses is high in iron, so I might just have to take a spoonful of that every day. She also recommended increasing my vitamin C intake. I haven’t been great about eating fresh fruit and vegetables, so I’ll have to step that up as well.

Edited to add: Cleveland Clinic has horrible coffee in the family lounge. I think we’ll make a Starbucks run on the way home.
  • Options
    Weekend was good. Friday afternoon we looked at some houses. Saturday I ordered some drawer pulls to picked up at Lowes. They were ready Sunday morning, so we picked them up on the way home from church. Saturday night we went to dinner with some of H's former colleagues. It was Indian food, a blended whiskey or wine tasting. It ended up the guys all did the whiskey and the gals did the wine. It was lots of fun. Yesterday H switched out the drawer pulls and we went to three open houses. We definitely eliminated two of the houses (we eliminated 3 on Friday). Today we are going to go see three more houses. I also made calls to have our house appraised and the roof inspected. We still aren't positive we are going to move, but at least we are seeing what is out there and doing needed stuff at our house! 
  • Options
    I had a horrible Fri.  I was at work 3 hours past when I was supposed to leave, though about one hour of that was personal time, getting yet more paperwork done for my upcoming closing.  Including, I found out from the title company that, because my loan includes rehab funds, they have to send a surveyor out within 48 hours before closing to verify no construction has started yet.  All units.  Need to be seen.  At the same time/within 48 hours.  Or closing has to be put off and the surveyor process completely STARTS.OVER.AGAIN.

The same duplexes that the seller doesn't have the keys and access has been a nightmare.  OMG, I flipped TF out.  Not really at her and I wasn't mad or screaming or anything.  I was just really upset because, from the current access track record, this seems like an almost impossible task.  I relayed this to the title person and told all the stories, ie 3/3 times we needed access and batted zero on all of them to see all the units on the same day.

However, she...unlike myself or my agent...can speak directly to the seller. The seller and his son are both on the titles, so she has actually already been speaking to the son because he didn't even know he was on the title and there is some paperwork he needs to sign for the sale.  Apparently the dad is elderly and in poor health.  I pleaded with her to please pass along to the son how critical it is that they, FFS already, hire a locksmith and get extra keys for these units.  She said she would, including explaining they would be responsible for some substantial additional fees if closing has to be rescheduled due to lack of access.  I'm hoping now that the son is involved, he'll finally take the bull by the horns and help his dad...and all of us...out in finally being able to close on these properties.  We'll see (sigh).

We're trying to close on the 12th, which is two days from now.  The last thing I need to do is pay for and get insurance in place (I already have the company lined up).  Except it's about $100/week, while it's a "builder's risk" policy.  I don't want to be the one to delay closing by a day or two because I don't have the insurance in place.  But I also don't want to pull the trigger too soon, when it still feels like closing is a moving target (more sigh).

Sorry, that was a way longer story than I meant it to be, lol.

That was the bad of the weekend.  Now for the good.  On Sat. afternoon, we caught up with a good friend we hadn't seen in awhile.  That night, we went for a BBQ and game night with a new friend couple.  It was so much fun!  They're great people and we had the best time.  Saturday was a whole lot more socializing than we normally do and we really need to add more of that into our lives, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So glad you’re OK, @charlotte989875! At my old apartment in the suburbs, I had a couple close calls with deer. It’s scary when they run out in the road.

DW got through surgery without a hitch. I haven’t been able to see her yet, but the doctor said everything went smoothly.

Weekend went pretty well, except that yesterday I failed the hemoglobin test again and couldn’t donate platelets. I’ve been taking iron supplements for about two months, so I don’t know what else to do. The phlebotomist at the Red Cross told me that molasses is high in iron, so I might just have to take a spoonful of that every day. She also recommended increasing my vitamin C intake. I haven’t been great about eating fresh fruit and vegetables, so I’ll have to step that up as well.

Edited to add: Cleveland Clinic has horrible coffee in the family lounge. I think we’ll make a Starbucks run on the way home.
    I've never donated platelets, but I have donated blood many times. I've had the phlebotomists tell me that caffeine will temporarily lower iron levels.  As such, I try not to drink coffee on days when I'm donating blood.  But sometimes I forget and you can count on it like clockwork...no coffee=iron levels good and I can donate, coffee=iron levels too low and I can't.

In fact, it just happened a couple weeks ago.  I remembered 3/4ths through one cup of coffee and stopped drinking it.  My iron was one point too low to donate.  Doh!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @banana468 I should not be laughing at your referring to your MIL speaking in parseltongue .... but here we are :P 

@CharmedPam I'm gonna try to log into TK from my phone and post :) they're super cute

Also those who have ants - my boss recently had them and apparently using flea stuff works a lot better than ant traps
  • Options
    Oh!  My other sorta good thing that happened over the weekend.  I told you all on Friday that my couch was delivered damaged and my H refused the delivery.  I called Amazon on Sat. to find out what happens now.

The bummer is, because they use a freight company for delivery, they can't expedite the delivery for a replacement.  But, they gave me a $100 promotional credit for my inconvenience.  In addition, the couch has gone down $56 in price since I originally bought it and I was also given back the price difference.  So at least I'm $156 ahead now.

Except the couch isn't being re-delivered until next week Tues.  That was the soonest I could choose.  Oh well!  I'm just praying it arrives fine this time and we can have a couch again, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I’m glad you’re okay! @charlotte989875

Taking iron with vitamin C or orange juice will help with iron absorption @OurWildKingdom. Taking it with milk or calcium will decrease absorption. But if you try for a month or two and your iron levels still aren’t where they should be make an appointment with your PCP to explore other causes of anemia. 

I’m glad your couch situation is working out! @short+sassy bummer about the duplexes. Why can’t people just get their acts together?

This weekend was long. Friday night we went out with FI’s coworkers and they are nuts. But we did discover new places downtown which was cool. Saturday we woke up deceased and I had to rally to go pick up a friend who was visiting for the night. Yesterday it was 102 and it’s supposed to be over 100 the next two days. I’m not remotely ready. Today I’m recovering and figuring out what I want my schedule to look like. 

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2019
    I did a whole bunch of nothing this weekend.  Friday night, K went to work and I went to bed.  Saturday, K went to a roller derby game out of town and I finished a whole bunch of TV series that I had 1-2 episodes left on and went to bed at like...9?  I did the same thing on Sunday until K got home, then they slept for a bit, and went to work.  I basically cooked one meal and lived off that all weekend.  I needed to be lazy and recharge a bit.  Oh, I watched Skyscraper and giggled through most of it.  It was so silly and just fun.

ETA:  K just reminded me, we went to dinner with a friend who is getting ready to move out of town and then we went to bed.  They didn't have to work on Friday, which is unusual.

I'm so exciting in my old age.  :smiley:
  • Options
    @short+sassy  It always fascinates me when people can order furniture online. I'm very tactile and like to feel things before purchasing lmao
  • Options
    So I knew a few of you are real estate mavens, anyone want to weigh in on this? My dad is looking to sell his house next year, and it needs a new roof. I think he should just accept that the roof will impact the sale price and move on, he thinks he should get it replaced, which I don’t favor because I know he will find the whole process of getting that done extremely stressful, and there’s at least a 50% chance a builder will buy the home and knock it down and not care. It’s a sellers market and it will go for around a million dollars. Opinions?
  • Options
    @short+sassy  It always fascinates me when people can order furniture online. I'm very tactile and like to feel things before purchasing lmao
    I largely agree with you.  But we were pretty specific about what we wanted, went to so many local furniture stores, and couldn't find it.

Come to think of it, I did buy a mattress from Amazon also.  Better quality mattresses were a bargain compared to brick and mortar stores.  And most of them had 1,000s of reviews to help guide our decision.

I've also bought used cars on Ebay...twice ;).  Though I picked them up in person and had the option to rescind the deal if I wanted to.  I kept them both.

I bought my current MINI Cooper used online/over phone from a dealership on the east coast side of central FL.  Though it wasn't through Ebay. I used some car finding website to find MINIs for me and then contacted the dealership from that point. I debated about picking it up but, OMG FL is like the biggest state ever.  Okay, it's not, lol.  But it was going to be about a 12-hour drive, one-way.  So I bought the car, sight unseen (albeit over 30 pics), and had it shipped to me.

Oh!  THAT was funny!  I had the trucker guy call me the day before to schedule where we would meet for him to deliver the car to me.  Our conversation:

Me:  "I assumed you'd be delivering it to my house.  Can you just do that?"  

Him:  "Uhhh...it's on a car carrier the length of a semi-truck.  Would that fit on your street?  Usually I meet people in a large parking lot, where there is plenty of room to maneuver."

Me:  "Ah, yes (lmao).  I see your point!  I really hadn't thought about that it would be on a car carrier."

We met in Costco's parking lot, lol.  Love that car!  Just like I thought it would be and I had no regrets.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    Dh dh has a phone interview!!!

@STARMOON44- I’m our neighborhood  I’d say do the roof. A lot of buyers are here 3-7 years and don’t want fixer uppers. The next neighborhood over would be leave if because people stay longer. Plus, If he's anything like my dad, he’d want a professional opinion 
    Yeah I’d agree with this; we bought our house knowing it needed a roof immediately, but it was a complete sellers market, we plan to stay for a while, and we were already planning a ton of other updates. 

Couldn't hurt to meet with a REA and see what they recommend for his area. On the one hand a complete move-in ready is a big selling point, on the other a new roof at that price point isn’t a huge deal. He should be prepared for them to come in a little under, given the roof, but again depending on the market maybe not. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:

@STARMOON44- I’m our neighborhood  I’d say do the roof. A lot of buyers are here 3-7 years and don’t want fixer uppers. The next neighborhood over would be leave if because people stay longer. Plus, If he's anything like my dad, he’d want a professional opinion 
    Yeah I’d agree with this; we bought our house knowing it needed a roof immediately, but it was a complete sellers market, we plan to stay for a while, and we were already planning a ton of other updates. 

Couldn't hurt to meet with a REA and see what they recommend for his area. On the one hand a complete move-in ready is a big selling point, on the other a new roof at that price point isn’t a huge deal. He should be prepared for them to come in a little under, given the roof, but again depending on the market maybe not. 
    The agents are all “yes do everything! Do the roof! Paint every wall! Rip up all the carpets upstairs! Redo the half bath!” but they aren’t the ones who are going to have to live in a construction site or hold his hand through all of this. I wish any one would just say “look, here’s what I would list at at today, here’s what I would list it at with all of this done, up to you which way you want to go.”
  • Options
    So I knew a few of you are real estate mavens, anyone want to weigh in on this? My dad is looking to sell his house next year, and it needs a new roof. I think he should just accept that the roof will impact the sale price and move on, he thinks he should get it replaced, which I don’t favor because I know he will find the whole process of getting that done extremely stressful, and there’s at least a 50% chance a builder will buy the home and knock it down and not care. It’s a sellers market and it will go for around a million dollars. Opinions?
    I would normally recommend replacing the roof first, because it's a major expense that would either turn homebuyers off or they'd have to come out of pocket later to replace and perhaps would have trouble affording that.  Though, for a $1M home, that's probably less likely to be an issue!

But the more I read your post, I changed my mind.  Considering it's a sellers market where it sounds like many buyers are buying for location, not necessarily the properties themselves, replacing the roof is probably money and hassle that doesn't need to be spent.

With all that said, the best person to answer that question is your dad's real estate agent.

FWIW, I think roof replacement is one of the less stressful major improvements to make to a home.  It's getting quotes and choosing a roofing company.  They plan the job over some sunny days.  And it's start to finish and done in usually 1-3 days, depending on the size of the roof.

The main stressful part to me is the high price tag, lol. But it is also daunting to feel like your property is "exposed", even when it is for a brief period of time.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@mrsconn23, sounds like a good wedding.  Going all the way till 4! Always a good sign.  At the risk of sounding stupid. What fridge coils?  Where are they?  Lol

LOL.  DH and FIL took the front vent off the fridge and then there was a back panel that was cardboard-ish and had a soft filter thing.  They basically blew and vacuumed out all that (it was caked in lint/dust/nastiness) and vacuumed the filter.  Our fridge is at least 15, maybe over 20 years old.  It's basic freezer on top and fridge on the bottom.   

Have I told anyone lately how over the moon I am about an updated, sparkling new fridge that will be easier to use?  Because I am.  Less than 24 hours.  ;) 
  • Options
    6fsn said:

The agents are all “yes do everything! Do the roof! Paint every wall! Rip up all the carpets upstairs! Redo the half bath!” but they aren’t the ones who are going to have to live in a construction site or hold his hand through all of this. I wish any one would just say “look, here’s what I would list at at today, here’s what I would list it at with all of this done, up to you which way you want to go.”
    That is literally how I would ask it.  ((Side-eye)) the REAs you all have spoken to aren't being more forthcoming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I largely agree with you.  But we were pretty specific about what we wanted, went to so many local furniture stores, and couldn't find it.

Come to think of it, I did buy a mattress from Amazon also.  Better quality mattresses were a bargain compared to brick and mortar stores.  And most of them had 1,000s of reviews to help guide our decision.

I've also bought used cars on Ebay...twice ;).  Though I picked them up in person and had the option to rescind the deal if I wanted to.  I kept them both.

I bought my current MINI Cooper used online/over phone from a dealership on the east coast side of central FL.  Though it wasn't through Ebay. I used some car finding website to find MINIs for me and then contacted the dealership from that point. I debated about picking it up but, OMG FL is like the biggest state ever.  Okay, it's not, lol.  But it was going to be about a 12-hour drive, one-way.  So I bought the car, sight unseen (albeit over 30 pics), and had it shipped to me.

Oh!  THAT was funny!  I had the trucker guy call me the day before to schedule where we would meet for him to deliver the car to me.  Our conversation:

Me:  "I assumed you'd be delivering it to my house.  Can you just do that?"  

Him:  "Uhhh...it's on a car carrier the length of a semi-truck.  Would that fit on your street?  Usually I meet people in a large parking lot, where there is plenty of room to maneuver."

Me:  "Ah, yes (lmao).  I see your point!  I really hadn't thought about that it would be on a car carrier."

We met in Costco's parking lot, lol.  Love that car!  Just like I thought it would be and I had no regrets.  
    I have the worst time trying to pick things. We have been at our house for 2.5 yrs and I JUST found a lamp for our dining room. I was being specific though .... that to be able to hook into ceiling and plug into wall. Our ceiling has a cap to install a light fixture but it's really off so would look/feel stupid.

Online furniture is not a thing for me lol I did end up ordering the lamp on Amazon though {price was a big factor too}