Wedding Woes

Happy, happy day!

The sun is shining, the windows are open, the weather is beauteous. 

AND MY NEW FRIDGE IS HERE!  WAHOO!!

Image result for happy dance gif

That's all I've got for today so far.  ;)  How's your Tuesday going?

Re: Happy, happy day!

• @mrsconn23, yay new fridge!

It's a lovely day down here also.  Sun shining, but with a cool breeze blowing so it isn't quite stupidly hot yet, lol.

Not much new for me.  Still overwhelmed at work and at life, lol.  Though work is getting a tiny bit better.

So I will tell a funny Izzy (dog) and Nip (cat) story. I was sitting on my recliner and Nip was a few feet away.  Izzy got between us, facing me...looking for pets and loves as usual.  She started to slowly wag her tail, smacking Nip directly in the face.  With each smack, Nip would make one annoyed meow.  But it wasn't that loud or angry.  As I started to pet Izzy, her tail started wagging faster.  Nip sped up her meows with it, but it was still just one meow per smack, lol.  After about 7-8 smacks, Nip finally backed up a few feet to get out of tail range.

Izzy was completely oblivious the whole time that she was annoying her cat sister, lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 whooo!!!

I just got back from allergist and guess who's allergic to red meat with a potential intolerance to pork .... like .... I have an epi pen for the red meat one.

:| wtf?
    I'm not huge on steak, so it doesn't really bother me but the dr suggested avoiding across the board for it. So now I'm googling vitamins and nutrients.

Anyone familiar with alternatives?

Otherwise not much.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Yay fridge!!

I've never heard of a meat allergy @misskittydanger.  I just saw stuff on the hamburger substitutes saying they were tasty.  In general I would just eat chicken, fish, black beans, etc.

The sun is shining here, but its too cold for the pool.  We're going to a park this afternoon then popping popcorn and watching the women's national team play at 3.

Soccer season doesn't start until August and there is already drama.

• Because there are tons of vegetarian/vegan options you will either need to increase chicken and fish for protein or you can look to nuts and beans as great sources for proteins.   
  • @MissKittyDanger I really like Morningstar Farms brand products.  I've had a few friends, both vegan/vegetarians and omnivores, who've had the Impossible Burger and across the board, they've all really liked it.

So, for some reason Mon/Tues nights are when I'm like, I'm restless and I want to see my crew, so I go out.  Usually, I'm a 2 drink and home before 10, responsible person.  For some reason last night, K also wanted to go and K wanted to party it up.  Which is fine, they almost never party anymore (and there was karaoke), so I stuck with my 2 drinks and Diet Coke for the rest of the evening, but we were there way longer than I would've liked to be.  And then, of course, K wanted Taco Bell.  Thank goodness all of this is close to our apartment.  I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.  Also, K this morning was feeling pretty rough and asked me why I was so damn chipper.  I had to giggle (they don't work again until Thursday night, so they're basically on their weekend).

Work is work.  My co-worker/work BFF is gone until next Wednesday, so I'm being super productive and it's getting on my nerves.  :smiley:  Also, in my sleepy self this morning, I accidentally left on my comfortable flip flops that I use as house shoes.  Flip flops are against the dress code, so OF COURSE, I've needed to walk all over the damn office this morning.  Grrr.  Hopefully no one notices, or if they do, think, "Something is wrong with Varuna, she never does that," and doesn't say anything.
  • MrsConn - Enjoy the new fridge!  We are just over a year in and I still love my new one!  Especially since we got the ice machine hooked up!

Last night was good.  Picked up DD and went home, fed her and she played pretty quietly.  H came home from karate and sat with her.  After 15 mins, she asked H to put her to bed.  We tell her to give hugs/kisses and grab the toys she sleeps with.  She does all this without complaint.  When H starts to take her upstairs, its then she realizes its bedtime and starts crying!  Oh kid!  But the last few nights ::knock on wood:: she has gone down quietly and stopped the screaming in our face nonsense!  We then just relaxed and caught up on some shows.

Our firm is picking a new electronic database after narrowing down the options to 2.  They put me on the small committee that will help pick the winner.  So in a little bit, I will start the two trials.  But most importantly, they are feeding me lunch!  LOL!  There are a few partners, so I'm hoping they bring out the good stuff!

• @6fsn yeh I'm gonna do a food diary on pork products, but red meat I'm out. I have an epi pen because despite the current reaction - it could change to unable to breathe. If pork seems to be an issue, we may look into the "beyond meat" brand

@VarunaTT Haven't heard of that, but I'll look to see if we have it in Canada :)
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2019

MrsConn - Enjoy the new fridge!  We are just over a year in and I still love my new one!  Especially since we got the ice machine hooked up!

That's our next project.  We're on well water and we have housing for an RO system in our crawlspace (directly under the sink), we need to replace the whole system/filters/spout/etc and then we can hook up the ice maker/water.  Next, I want a new dishwasher to match the fridge.  After that, we'll do kitchen upgrades and then get a new stove/microwave combo. 
  • I read this as happy hump day and I was thinking.. no it’s not!  Is it?  iS iT?
    but I’m going blind soooooo

i never heard of a meat allergy like that either, @misskittydanger. I wouldn’t miss steak myself but I like a GOOD burger from time to time.  Impossible burgers (if you have ‘em) are pretty good!

i’m going to make something simple for dinner and convince my H to go for a walk before our scheduled movie... today’s a good day for that

• @CharmedPam It's not vastly common but apparently can happen usually attached to other allergies. Tbh I really hope I can still eat pork. I'm not a fan of beans lmao
  • edited June 2019
    @MissKittyDanger, Quorn is a really good chicken substitute, and Boca and Morningstar Farms both make great veggie burgers, veggie dogs, and veggie breakfast meats. Even DW likes their sausage and bacon, and she’s very much a meat and potatoes girl.

@short+sassy, that is too cute!

DW is awake and feeling a little sore but otherwise in good spirits. I need to do laundry and some other assorted things around the house, but for right now, I’m just chilling with some coffee.
  • @6fsn yeh I'm gonna do a food diary on pork products, but red meat I'm out. I have an epi pen because despite the current reaction - it could change to unable to breathe. If pork seems to be an issue, we may look into the "beyond meat" brand

@VarunaTT Haven't heard of that, but I'll look to see if we have it in Canada :)
    Also, is it anything meaty at all?  Because in those situations you should also be extremely vigilant at restaurants and looking at things like your sauces.   

Example: One of my favorite recipes for tomato sauce calls for beef stock.  

And then verify if it's any kind of meat protein because that will mean that you need to check certain cheeses (wasn't it @LondonLisa) who informed us that parmesan used veal rennet?  And Jello, gelatin and marshmallows will have some form of beef marrow in them.  

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2019
    What great canine nurses you have @OurWildKingdom!  How many days did you take off to help?  

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @OurWildKingdom. Glad she’s doing well. Looks like she had some great nurses
  • What great canine nurses you have @OurWildKingdom!  How many days did you take off to help?  
    I took three days because I want to make sure I have plenty of time to take off when she has her facial feminization surgery. She’ll have friends staying with her when I’m at work the rest of the week.
  • What great canine nurses you have @OurWildKingdom!  How many days did you take off to help?  
    I took three days because I want to make sure I have plenty of time to take off when she has her facial feminization surgery. She’ll have friends staying with her when I’m at work the rest of the week.
    Love that you can take time off but also that you both have a great community to help out too! All the good healing vibes to your DW. 
  • Work has been, interesting. A coworker left two weeks ago and I took over one of his models; well our auditor had questions that went from “hey this data looks a little weird” to a full blown fire drill where we (read: I) have to redo the entire model. And it has to been done by the end of the week. Fun. 

But the weather is beautiful and our daily lunch time concerts started up again!
  • @short+sassy  lmao Izzy!!

@OurWildKingdom M is very "meat and potatoes" type also and tried "Beyond Meat" recently and was pleasantly surprised by it
  • We got back from vacation last weekend and yesterday and today have felt impossibly slow.  Especially because it's SO beautiful outside finally!  I do get to leave a bit early today for our company golf league, so i'm looking forward to that!  Otherwise, this week is all work catch-up and laundry :)
  • @MissKittyDanger, I'll cross my fingers on the pork for you.  Because a life without bacon would be a tough one!

@OurWildKingdom, healing vibes for your DW!  Her nurses look devoted, lol.

@charlotte989875, Sorry to hear about the unexpected extra work.  Good luck with it.

Ugh, something is wrong with me today.  I have this weird dry cough and my throat is irritated.  It sounds like I'm trying to cough up a hairball.  But, other than that, I feel fine.  I took some allergy pills, though I generally don't suffer from allergies.  I'm not sure if it's that or if I'm getting sick.  The inside of my throat also feels swollen, which makes it more work to breathe, and probably why I'm starting to feel extra tired.  A whole lot of "meh"!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef in dishes. I think it has a much more beef like texture than ground chicken. Good luck! I can't imagine all the trouble a person has to go through to determine exactly what food allergies are present. DD has a good friend who has celiac and apparently it isn't unheard of to have other food allergies combined with that. For a while she was allergic to chicken! I think that is over now that they have the celiac under control.
  • @ILoveBeachMusic I've been tested for celiac, and don't have it. But tbh it makes me wonder about a lot of my stomach problems I've had in the past - if it's linked.
    I've heard of ground turkey being similar, but never tried it. Hmmm
  • @ILoveBeachMusic I've been tested for celiac, and don't have it. But tbh it makes me wonder about a lot of my stomach problems I've had in the past - if it's linked.
    My H doesn't like ground turkey, but I used to use it all the time because it's lower in calories and fat that ground beef.

It is a similar taste and texture, though you can tell the difference.  And it's not even a bad difference, it just has a bit of a different taste.  You can use it exactly the same way you use ground beef.  Though it can be a little drier.

Give it a try!  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Since you're so used to the taste of ground beef, ease yourself into it.  I'd recommend first trying it as the meat in a marinara meat sauce with spaghetti.  Or any other dish that has a sauce to add other flavors, instead of just the turkey meat flavor.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to your stomach problems.  Hopefully the silver lining will be those issues won't return.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My H doesn't like ground turkey, but I used to use it all the time because it's lower in calories and fat that ground beef.

DH used to be the same about ground turkey, but we've switched over to it exclusively because both DH and BIL have cholesterol issues and their mom died at 58 due to a suspected heart attack (there's also a possibility it was a blood clot).  I do find I have to use a heavier hand with seasoning ground turkey so that it doesn't taste bland.  We can only use one kind of taco seasoning for the most part because most others don't have enough flavor (it's Spice Islands which I can get in bulk at Costco...we eat a lot of tacos in this house ;) ).  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic I've been tested for celiac, and don't have it. But tbh it makes me wonder about a lot of my stomach problems I've had in the past - if it's linked.

DH used to be the same about ground turkey, but we've switched over to it exclusively because both DH and BIL have cholesterol issues and their mom died at 58 due to a suspected heart attack (there's also a possibility it was a blood clot).  I do find I have to use a heavier hand with seasoning ground turkey so that it doesn't taste bland.  We can only use one kind of taco seasoning for the most part because most others don't have enough flavor (it's Spice Islands which I can get in bulk at Costco...we eat a lot of tacos in this house ;) ).  
    We’ve pretty much switched to venison or moose  instead of ground beef and I find the same thing with seasoning. I also do more marinating with venison than beef and while I can still the tell the difference I’ve gotten a lot better at hiding it in seasoning. 

It is a similar taste and texture, though you can tell the difference.  And it's not even a bad difference, it just has a bit of a different taste.  You can use it exactly the same way you use ground beef.  Though it can be a little drier.

Give it a try!  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Since you're so used to the taste of ground beef, ease yourself into it.  I'd recommend first trying it as the meat in a marinara meat sauce with spaghetti.  Or any other dish that has a sauce to add other flavors, instead of just the turkey meat flavor.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to your stomach problems.  Hopefully the silver lining will be those issues won't return.
    I'm gonna suggest it to M :) He knows I've been looking up food alternatives today.

Tbh end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised either. It's a weird allergy most people don't think of - even the allergist said so.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic I've been tested for celiac, and don't have it. But tbh it makes me wonder about a lot of my stomach problems I've had in the past - if it's linked.

Legit the 2nd thing I heard today that was at Costco. Do I need to renew?!?  We have to watch sodium levels here too and so far only saw Mrs Dash taco seasoning.... would love to try something new!

• mrsconn23 said:

Back before my H was around, ie my single days.  I would mix about 50% very lean ground beef with 50% turkey, plus some basic seasonings to make hamburger patties.  It was great!  To me, the ground beef flavor took over and I didn't taste the turkey at all.

I LOVE taco seasoning!  I use it as a go-to spice for all kinds of things.  Not just Mexican food.  Sometimes I even throw it in tuna salad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One thing with ground turkey is that there are two kinds.   The turkey breast is very lean which is healthy but also lacks flavor.   There's also an 85% lean turkey which has darker meat.

I think America's Test kitchen has worked on some recipes for ground turkey knowing that in some recipes it's not a simple 1:1 substitution for beef.   

DH is on week 3 of a low FODMAP diet.   He hasn't had any grains, beer, wine or any high FODMAP foods including garlic or onions since Memorial Day.   We are hopeful that this works for him.