Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Re: NWR - Horrible retro recipes

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Not gonna lie.......cream cheese frosted loaves were the staple at many a wedding and baby shower back in the day!  I worked at a bakery throughout high school, and slicing the family style loaf horizontally was an expected request most weekends.
  • Hellman's and Best Foods mayo...STAY.IN.YOUR.LANE! lol.

You too, Jello and all your aspic/gelatin friends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKaz said:
    Not gonna lie.......cream cheese frosted loaves were the staple at many a wedding and baby shower back in the day!  I worked at a bakery throughout high school, and slicing the family style loaf horizontally was an expected request most weekends.
    I've never heard of a ham loaf frosted with cream cheese - a cake (like lemon or carrot cake) style loaf with cream cheese frosting yes!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    MobKaz said:
    I've never heard of a ham loaf frosted with cream cheese - a cake (like lemon or carrot cake) style loaf with cream cheese frosting yes!
    Party sandwich loaf.  Tea sandwich loaf.  We would make several....egg salad, tuna salad, ham salad.  I still have the red and white Betty Crocker cookbook in which it is featured :-D

• My H is about 10 years older than me.  He's in his mid-50s.  I made green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and found the original Betty Croker recipe...one of their chefs created it in the '50s...on a recipes website.

I noticed one of the ingredients was soy sauce and found that really surprising.  I'd never heard of that being an ingredient and most of the reviews said to just leave it out.  That it didn't really improve the taste and usually couldn't taste it anyway.

I mentioned this to my H and he said something like, "Oh, dude! You don't understand.  Soy sauce was VERY exotic when I was growing up and you didn't usually see it.  They would have added that ingredient to be with it"  Then he made a joke...maybe it wasn't a joke, lol...that your mom was very hip and edgy if she brought something with soy sauce in it to the church potluck.

I'll also give the caveat that he grew up in a farming town with less than 10,000 people when he was growing up.  They didn't get their first McDonalds until around the mid-70s.

-------------------

Since we were speaking of McDonald's of long ago.  I said I remembered being really excited when they first came out with chicken nuggets because, as a kid, I didn't like hamburgers.  I was a very fussy child and didn't like that they felt "messy", lol.  

He told me I was mistaken and McDonald's always had chicken nuggets.  Oh, hell no!  I DISTINCTLY remember when it was added to the menu and my excitement about it.  We made a nickel bet (our usual) and Googled it.  He was going down.  I may have the years slightly off, but I think they came to select markets in 1981 and nationwide in '82 or '83.  Definitely in a timeframe where I would have, not only been born, but old enough to remember it also.  Hmphh!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2019
    My H is about 10 years older than me.  He's in his mid-50s.  I made green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and found the original Betty Croker recipe...one of their chefs created it in the '50s...on a recipes website.

I noticed one of the ingredients was soy sauce and found that really surprising.  I'd never heard of that being an ingredient and most of the reviews said to just leave it out.  That it didn't really improve the taste and usually couldn't taste it anyway.

I mentioned this to my H and he said something like, "Oh, dude! You don't understand.  Soy sauce was VERY exotic when I was growing up and you didn't usually see it.  They would have added that ingredient to be with it"  Then he made a joke...maybe it wasn't a joke, lol...that your mom was very hip and edgy if she brought something with soy sauce in it to the church potluck.

I'll also give the caveat that he grew up in a farming town with less than 10,000 people when he was growing up.  They didn't get their first McDonalds until around the mid-70s.

-------------------

Since we were speaking of McDonald's of long ago.  I said I remembered being really excited when they first came out with chicken nuggets because, as a kid, I didn't like hamburgers.  I was a very fussy child and didn't like that they felt "messy", lol.  

He told me I was mistaken and McDonald's always had chicken nuggets.  Oh, hell no!  I DISTINCTLY remember when it was added to the menu and my excitement about it.  We made a nickel bet (our usual) and Googled it.  He was going down.  I may have the years slightly off, but I think they came to select markets in 1981 and nationwide in '82 or '83.  Definitely in a timeframe where I would have, not only been born, but old enough to remember it also.  Hmphh!  
    You and I are about the same age, and I remember McNuggets coming out sometime between 1982 and 1984. Somewhere around 5-ish, I developed some texture issues which made me go from loving hamburgers to hating them, so I was very happy to see McNuggets.

Nuggets are the only way DW will eat chicken, and that’s once in a blue moon. She said she ate too much chicken growing up.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    My McDonald's was THE McDonald's in Des Plaines, IL.  There were NO nuggets.  Two burgers, 3 flavors of milk shakes, fries, soda, and an orange drink that I recall was amazing.  Menu items were 10 cents and yet we shared orders of fries LOL
  • MobKaz said:
    My McDonald's was THE McDonald's in Des Plaines, IL.  There were NO nuggets.  Two burgers, 3 flavors of milk shakes, fries, soda, and an orange drink that I recall was amazing.  Menu items were 10 cents and yet we shared orders of fries LOL
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I've heard in Colonel Sanders hometown they still have the original restaurant and are still serving KFC goodness.  It's a nicer, sit-down restaurant as opposed to a fast food place.  They also have entrees, other than chicken.  But still in that down home cooking, comfort food type of category.

It's on my bucket list!  No pun intended, lmao.  It really is.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I've heard in Colonel Sanders hometown they still have the original restaurant and are still serving KFC goodness.  It's a nicer, sit-down restaurant as opposed to a fast food place.  They also have entrees, other than chicken.  But still in that down home cooking, comfort food type of category.

I have never had KFC. To steal your pun, it's on my bucket list as well :)
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I love you, but you need help :|
  • Are these recipes American? Because I have personally never heard of any of them and I know some old recipes in my family ....
  • Are these recipes American? Because I have personally never heard of any of them and I know some old recipes in my family ....
    I think so.
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I remember you live somewhere in the Boston area.  I was so horrified and saddened to hear this, that I literally just went and looked up where KFC's are in MA, lol.  Interesting.  It doesn't look like there are any in Boston proper, but there are a handful in the state and some of those are in Boston suburbs.

KFC is one of my all-time favorite foods!  Whatever their 11 secret herbs and spices are, are magic in my book.  But, I also grew up eating it.  There are people out there who think it is "meh" or don't like it.  So I can't promise you'll like it.  But it's definitely worth a try!  

The Original Recipe is a soft crisp.  They also have an Extra Crunchy option (something like that), but I would swear it tastes different and isn't nearly as flavorful.  I also really like their mashed potatoes and gravy, but don't think any of their other sides are anything special.

If only it were even remotely healthy, I would eat it way more often than I do, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I loved KFC as a child/young adult. Now it is too greasy for me (I'm the same with fried shrimp- would eat it non stop as a child but now too greasy).

• MobKazMobKaz member
    edited July 2019
    I realize this post has run its course.  However, I have been a purging fool this summer.  I am going through old recipe books from my work days in the early 80’s.  This recipe was in a book made by families and faculty, so only their “very best” and “favorite” recipes were submitted.

ETA:  Let me know if anyone is interested in the mouth watering and ever popular tuna mold made with cream of mushroom soup LOL

Mother of Mary.....is it even possible to use Velveeta and fudge in the same sentence?

• edited July 2019
    Not even in my perimenopausal fever dreams could I come up with those, @MobKaz! I don’t know whether to laugh or vomit.
  • @MobKaz the names alone put me off lol
  • Should be noted that in my family there is a chocolate mayo cake.
    It is an old recipe my granny knows by heart but it is actually really delish.
    You can't taste the mayo and it just makes the cake super moist {sorry} and good.
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I remember you live somewhere in the Boston area.  I was so horrified and saddened to hear this, that I literally just went and looked up where KFC's are in MA, lol.  Interesting.  It doesn't look like there are any in Boston proper, but there are a handful in the state and some of those are in Boston suburbs.

KFC is one of my all-time favorite foods!  Whatever their 11 secret herbs and spices are, are magic in my book.  But, I also grew up eating it.  There are people out there who think it is "meh" or don't like it.  So I can't promise you'll like it.  But it's definitely worth a try!  

The Original Recipe is a soft crisp.  They also have an Extra Crunchy option (something like that), but I would swear it tastes different and isn't nearly as flavorful.  I also really like their mashed potatoes and gravy, but don't think any of their other sides are anything special.

If only it were even remotely healthy, I would eat it way more often than I do, lol.
    I live in the Boston area, but grew up in CT. My parents were hippies in college up until I was born and we never really did fast food growing up. I've also never had Taco Bell, Sonic, or Wendy's. Wendy's solely because the shape of their burger freaks me out LOL.

That being said, a shake from Sonic is on my list. If I can find a Sonic and a KFC in close proximity to each other near where I live I can cross both places off my super weird bucket list in one meal LOL
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

That's Corbin, Kentucky. A bunch of my family worked for KFC corporate when I was a kid. Word was that Colonel Sanders was terribly racist and quite abusive to the employees. I still love the biscuits, but I don't think I could stomach going to the original location knowing that. 
  • MobKaz said:
    Whoa!  Very cool!

I live in the Boston area, but grew up in CT. My parents were hippies in college up until I was born and we never really did fast food growing up. I've also never had Taco Bell, Sonic, or Wendy's. Wendy's solely because the shape of their burger freaks me out LOL.

That being said, a shake from Sonic is on my list. If I can find a Sonic and a KFC in close proximity to each other near where I live I can cross both places off my super weird bucket list in one meal LOL
    Come to Cleveland, we have both, albeit not super close to each other. We also have a Taco Bell next to our closest Sonic. (You can’t spit without hitting a Taco Bell around here.)

My first job (besides babysitting and tutoring) was at Wendy’s. It’s part of the reason I’m a vegetarian now. You can even get sick of bacon if you have to cook massive quantities of it every day.