Wedding Woes
Options

Classic Prudie

*I think I remember this one, but it's worth reposting since it's so damn absurd.*

My sister got married recently. Some weeks before the big day, she pulled me aside and asked me to dye my bright blue and purple hair a more innocuous color so that I wouldn’t stand out too much. She wouldn’t listen to reason as to how I love my hair, nor as to how the process of bringing it to a more natural color would be difficult, expensive, and damaging. At the suggestion of a friend, I invested in an excellent honey-brown human hair wig, similar to my actual hair texture and length. Her big day went off without a hitch, and she never even seemed to notice my “innocuous” hair. At the end of the reception, after nearly everyone had left and my family and I were helping tidy up, I removed the wig.

My sister freaked out. She’s still angry, and she says that I violated her trust and that for the rest of her life when she looks at her wedding pictures of the family together or of me in the background, she’ll know that there’s blue-and-purple hair under there, and it will infuriate her. I don’t see any problem with what I did. I didn’t want to change my hair color for ONE day in her life, and I even invested in a hairpiece specifically meant to give her peace of mind. I hadn’t considered telling her about the wig beforehand, simply because she was busy and, as long as I showed up with “normal” hair, it should have been fine. How am I in the wrong here? Did I owe it to my sister to actually color my hair for her wedding? I wasn’t even a bridesmaid.

Re: Classic Prudie

• Options
    This sister went so far above and beyond. 
  • Options
    I want to have words.  But I have no words. 

• Options
    I totally remember this one. 
  • Options
    Totally remember it.  Anyone so obsessed with a look is never going to value people.
  • Options
    I don't remember this ...

Those wigs ain't cheap. Bride-sister does not realize the effort LW did. Colouring over most colours isn't always easy, so LW did what was safest option.
  • Options
    I started laughing again, like I did the first time.
  • Options
    I think I vaguely remember the letter.  I can't even comprehend how anyone could be upset about that.  The LW went so above and beyond the call of what her sister wanted!  Even though the sister's request was outrageous to begin with.  I think the LW's response should be blunt like, "You're being ridiculous over nothing.  Be all the angry you want away from me and, when you calm TF down, call me."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    People suck.  What a bitch.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I remember this one too.  YIKES (again)
  • Options
    If I found out my sister had to buy a wig to appease me on my wedding day, I would be ashamed of myself.  I don't care what her hair looks like, she should feel like she can be herself on any day around me.

• Options
    I remember this one! On our wedding day, I had Manic Panic Infra Red in my hair, and DW had blue streaks in hers. We’re still just as married. LW’s sister is being a total bitch.