Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Riu Palace bavaro Punta Cana

We are getting Married Next May at the Riu Palace Bavaro Punta Cana! I'm having trouble finding info about options/decor/reception/vendors 
Is anyone here a bride of this resort who can offer some advice and tips? Can you please tell me if you loved your wedding and what you would have done differently, or let me know what we should include? Thank you in advance! 

Re: Riu Palace bavaro Punta Cana

• Options
    We are getting Married Next May at the Riu Palace Bavaro Punta Cana! I'm having trouble finding info about options/decor/reception/vendors 
    Is anyone here a bride of this resort who can offer some advice and tips? Can you please tell me if you loved your wedding and what you would have done differently, or let me know what we should include? Thank you in advance! 
    Honestly, before you continue to move forward I'd keep a keen eye on what is being done in the Dominican Republic given the illnesses and deaths reported by tourists.

A lot may happen in a year, but I would be very leery about attending anything in Punta Cana without major updates from the government. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Honestly, before you continue to move forward I'd keep a keen eye on what is being done in the Dominican Republic given the illnesses and deaths reported by tourists.

A lot may happen in a year, but I would be very leery about attending anything in Punta Cana without major updates from the government. 
    I have to ditto this. I think Rui had guests that fell ill, at possibly other locations. I truly wouldn't want to risk it. 
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    banana468 said:

I have to ditto this. I think Rui had guests that fell ill, at possibly other locations. I truly wouldn't want to risk it. 
    I will add this as well, since it is more often than not the case......Are you being legally wed on this day?  If this event is ceremonial in nature, that would add more insult to potential injury.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I just read this......it is unfortunate that the couple, as well as some of their guests, may lose money, but I cannot fathom being able to enjoy myself.....OP, you might want to seriously consider travel insurance options as you move forward......
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/06/21/couple-cancels-wedding-in-dominican-republic-after-9-americans-die/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-headlines

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    I just read this......it is unfortunate that the couple, as well as some of their guests, may lose money, but I cannot fathom being able to enjoy myself.....OP, you might want to seriously consider travel insurance options as you move forward......
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/06/21/couple-cancels-wedding-in-dominican-republic-after-9-americans-die/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-headlines

Yup.  I'd never book a trip without insurance but I also would tell any couple who invited me to their wedding in the Dominican Republic that at this point there's no wat Id attend.