Wedding Woes

WWTKD?

edited June 2019 in Wedding Woes
Okay, maybe not do, but think. 

I was given a promotion last week to take effect on July 1 and was asked not to say anything until this Thursday when it was going to be announced at a group meeting and to the division on Friday. 

I just got got an email from my group manager (my two-above) telling me that the announcement of the promotion would be “under embargo” until further notice. And that he hoped we could announce it in the near future. 

Is this weird? 

I, obviously, can’t ask anyone here. 

Re: WWTKD?

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    That is strange - I'd want to know that the promotion was still on even if the announcement was being halted. Does your actual manager not know about it? 

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2019

I was given a promotion last week to take effect on July 1 and was asked not to say anything until this Thursday when it was going to be announced at a group meeting and to the division on Friday. 

I just got got an email from my group manager (my two-above) telling me that the announcement of the promotion would be “under embargo” until further notice. And that he hoped we could announce it in the near future. 

Is this weird? 

Very. Are they saying that the promotion is on hold, or that you just can't tell anyone. Are they having financial issues? Why would they not want to tell anyone? And why can they not give you a timeline?

I would get confirmation in writing that your promotion is still taking effect on July 1, including your upgraded pay. 

Frankly, all sounds dodgier then petrol station sushi. 

ETA: Are you contract or at will? 
  • kvruns said:
    That is strange - I'd want to know that the promotion was still on even if the announcement was being halted. Does your actual manager not know about it? 

My manager is on the email too and he was the one who told me about the promotion last week. He’s been out on vacation since last week (he does come back tomorrow). 
  • I don't know your office but it's weird to me.

Can you ask in response, "As a result of this announcement could you please clarify if the start date of the promotion is also also effected?  Will the current process remain in effect on Monday the 1st or should I anticipate making adjustments to new duties at that time?" 

This honestly sounds shady. 
  • Okay, maybe not do, but think. 

Is this weird? 

Very. Are they saying that the promotion is on hold, or that you just can't tell anyone. Are they having financial issues? Why would they not want to tell anyone? And why can they not give you a timeline?

I would get confirmation in writing that your promotion is still taking effect on July 1, including your upgraded pay. 

Thank you for making me not feel like I was crazy here. 

They’re definitely not having financial issues (I work at a super-regional bank and our last earnings call was all above expectations). 

But I am concerned about why they don’t want to tell anyone. Off cycle promotions are not the norm here & when they told me they said only 4 people in the division were being promoted now (division is about 130). And I agree why no timeline? 

I followed up and asked if there was a change with the promotion. Even so the change has already been entered and approved in our HR system. 
  • banana468 said:
    I don't know your office but it's weird to me.

Can you ask in response, "As a result of this announcement could you please clarify if the start date of the promotion is also also effected?  Will the current process remain in effect on Monday the 1st or should I anticipate making adjustments to new duties at that time?" 

This honestly sounds shady. 
    I can definitely ask my manager this tomorrow; we have a really good rapport (we’ve actually known each other since grad school) and I feel like he’ll be transparent about it. The thing is my duties aren’t changing significantly but my title and pay are scheduled to change Monday. 

• Okay, maybe not do, but think. 

Is this weird? 

They’re definitely not having financial issues (I work at a super-regional bank and our last earnings call was all above expectations). 

But I am concerned about why they don’t want to tell anyone. Off cycle promotions are not the norm here & when they told me they said only 4 people in the division were being promoted now (division is about 130). And I agree why no timeline? 

I followed up and asked if there was a change with the promotion. Even so the change has already been entered and approved in our HR system. 
    Is your manager taking a longer vacation than planned?  Is someone else?  
  • edited June 2019
    banana468 said:

Is this weird? 

That is something I didn’t consider!

• banana468 said:

Is this weird? 

That is something I didn’t consider!

I think something is going on underfoot.  
  • You are right to think this is weird, because it is!  You are getting your raise and title change on July 1st, so until they start talking any of that back, I would probably just go with the flow.

When would the normal promotions occur?  Is it possible they may wait to announce it than?

• You are right to think this is weird, because it is!  You are getting your raise and title change on July 1st, so until they start talking any of that back, I would probably just go with the flow.

When would the normal promotions occur?  Is it possible they may wait to announce it than?

Promotions typically happen in late January, so this is an off-cycle promotion and our company (at least our division) rarely does them. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would wonder if there are perhaps some not so pleasant off cycle changes in the works, and the announcement of your promotion might be “alerting” to others.  I would make sure your raise and title change occur, and keep your head low.  
  • I completely agree with PPs advice above. Definitely talk to your manager, but I'm also wondering if your promotion (congrats by the way! That's awesome!!) means someone else is getting demoted or leaving/getting fired from the company...
  • Any updates?

• Like everyone said, talk to your manager but it's not impossible they're trying to keep it under wraps until certain things are done {like @sparklepants41 said - firing/demoting someone}

Also it's off cycle, so that might be why.
  • Any updates?
    Nothing yet. My manager is back today so I’m sure I’ll touch base with him soon. It’s stressing me out for sure. 
  • ...and my manager has no idea what’s going on either. 

He said all he heard was that email and as far as he knows nothing changed. 

Weird.