Wedding Woes

Wednesday!!

Happy Wednesday all! Today my manager brought in bagels and donuts, we get early release because of the holiday, and I’m taking Friday off! 

H and I are heading to camp tomorrow morning with the dog. The extended family will join for a huge cookout Friday but at least we’ll have one day/night just us.

Whats everyones holiday plans?  

Re: Wednesday!!

• Today is my Friday b/c the office is closing for Friday too, yay!  I can use a 4 day weekend.

Other than that, I have no big plans.  We're doing a thing with K's family tomorrow and that's really it.  Oh, K has a show Saturday.
  • I took Friday off, so this is my last day this week.  No early out though.  Womp, womp. 

DH is working from home today, so I only had to get myself ready for the day and drive to work.  No getting DefConn up and moving and having to make extra stops.  Yesterday's traffic was particularly heinous due to a fatal accident on my way home, so we sat for a long time due to being rerouted. 

Not sure what we're doing tomorrow, but I plan on sleeping in because we're not doing a damn thing early.  ;)  We're planning to go to fireworks with SIL/BIL/nieces.  I think we may go to Toy Story 4 tomorrow or Friday night.  DH works Friday.  

Having no real plans for the weekend feels amazing.  We do have to do prep work for my mom's party, but we're actually in decent shape even after having 11 people in the house for 5 days last week and the fact that I've been in the office all week and almost useless around the house as far as doing anything 'extra'.  
  • Today is my Friday as well!

We got invited to a picnic tomorrow, but thunderstorms are predicted, so I hope it’s still on. Tonight I have to make a couple pies to take with us. 

Friday is going to be catching up on paperwork and stuff around the house. Saturday is my memoir writing group. Sunday is my niece’s birthday party. 
  • I'll upload a few photos at lunch, but we had a weekend away and it was nice.

We knew BabyKitten wouldn't sleep like normal, but it was kind of a shit show. She would barely sleep 7hr chunks {she sleeps all night at home fyi}, she popped a tooth thru and I think a molar is coming.
    She apparently now knows how to hold and eat/drink pouches - definitely new.
    Is not a fan of the lifejacket, but is fine in water. SFIL tried holding her with lifejacket but didn't like - minus lifejacket she was great. That's gonna take some work :\ I think swimming lessons plus exposure will help. Maybe a pool with a way to get her to walk in will help.

Oh. Yeh. She walks mostly now.

We came home Monday, she slept entire 1.5hr ride. Tuesday she slept until 9:30am. Then she took a 2hr nap around noon and went to bed at 730 lol
    She's at my inlaws today because daycare is closed, and was not a fan of waking up today lol I had M tell them that she probably will wanna take a nap around noon so ensure she has food/snack at least before then.

I know they wish it was cooler because there's a splashpad nearby - but I know they were taking her for a morning walk to beat some heat.
  • Yesterday I was in bed with a migraine all afternoon. Today is better. I'm having lunch with a friend. We get together every month or so to catch up with our lives. Her son is getting married later this month. DD and SIL are going (he's a good friend of DD's from HS and college). No plans for tomorrow but am going to a friend's lake house on Friday. Haven't been yet this summer so I'm looking forward to a day of wine and floating. Of course, I'm not sure the weather will cooperate!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Friday here too. We are closing at 2pm which I expected. I am swamped at work but the site I need to do it all today is down and has been for like 2 hours so at this point I guess today is a wash and hopefully i can bust ass Monday to do it done. 

Not sure what we're doing on the 4th, maybe a parade depending on naptime. Work is closed Friday so I'll send B to daycare so I can get stuff ready for our party Saturday and hopefully relax by the pool a bit. My H is always a grump right before stuff like that so I'd rather be out of the house while he's doing all of his prep stuff. 
  • Today is my Friday as well!  I'm hoping for an early release, but no announcements yet.  We don't always get out early when they give us 2 days for a holiday, BUT they have Mr. Softee coming today at 1 PM.  Usually he comes on a Friday at 3 PM, so that has a bunch of us talking that they will let us go at 3!  Fingers crossed!

Our dog adoption facilitator will be coming over tonight to finalize our adoption of Cassie!  She is a crazy dog, but that just means she fits in with us!

Potty training is becoming a success for us!  DD actually asked H to go this morning and then she went!  That seemed to be her last hurdle to pick up over the week.  We know she still won't be perfect, but if she can understand all the pieces to going on the toilet, we will be on our way to success!

Not sure what we are doing over the weekend.  We had planned to go out for Hs birthday on Saturday night, but he is going to try and say we need to be responsible with our money right now.  He wants to talk about our plans tonight.  We have a larger than usual credit card bill due to vacation to pay off at the end of the month, a mistake in our check ledger when I forgot to put in the car payment, Cassie's adoption fee, and our partial down payment for the siding.  But I am going to convince him to be a little reckless for once!  The bills will get paid, but his birthday is only once a year and we didn't go out to eat for Father's Day.  So I think he has earned it!

• I like the company I work for.  Overall, they care about their employees and do right by us.  However, they are downright miserly when it comes to "bonus" time off.  Leaving early today or any normal work day (including Christmas Eve)?  That's fine, but you need to use vacation hours.  Want to take Fri. off because the 4th falls on a Thurs.?  Also fine.  But you need to use vacation hours.

So I'm side-eying them a little harder today when I see so many of you are leaving early and getting Fri. off, without having to use PTO/vacation time, lol.

I actually am leaving an hour early today, though not because of the 4-day weekend.  My MINI was in the shop and is ready to be picked up.  But I need to leave early in order to get the car before they close.  Especially since they weren't sure if they were going to be open Friday.

Fridays are my half-days anyway (4 9's and 4 schedule) so I'm taking vacation time.  No way would I letting saving only 4 hours of vacation time ruin having a 4-day weekend, lol!

We're actually going to be spending a most of that long weekend doing rehab work at the new property.  Even this gal!  I actually rarely help with construction stuff because I'm the one busy working a f/t job all year to fund our real estate investing.  But we need all the help we can get for this one.

----------------------------------------

We do at least have one fun thing planned.  On Fri., we're going over to a friend's house for a BBQ and a game day/night.  They discovered a game called Cash Flow that was created by Robert Kiyosaki of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" book fame and we have all become addicted to it, lol.

Not only is it a really fun game (albeit long) of both chance and strategy, but it's also a really practical tool for teaching budgeting and some financial concepts.  But none of it is complicated or hard to understand, though it takes a little time/a few turns to get the hang of.  I would especially recommend it for people with older kids who have a good grasp of addition/subtraction.  Calculators are allowed, but they'd need to have an understanding of WHAT to add/subtract.

In a nutshell, the game starts with each player being randomly given their occupation card.  That card also includes the income/expenses, ie budget, the player is starting with.  And even this has some real life concepts.  For example, the lower paying occupation cards also have the lowest monthly expenses, which makes it easier for them to advance in the beginning of the game.  While higher paying occupation cards have higher expenses, including a higher monthly payment for their student loan debt.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the company I work for.  Overall, they care about their employees and do right by us.  However, they are downright miserly when it comes to "bonus" time off.  Leaving early today or any normal work day (including Christmas Eve)?  That's fine, but you need to use vacation hours.  Want to take Fri. off because the 4th falls on a Thurs.?  Also fine.  But you need to use vacation hours.

My company is the same.  I have to use PTO for Friday. The only thing they did in the recent past is start closing on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  It's been about 6-7 years.  But I work for a large company with posted hours, so we are only closed on the holidays (and Sundays) that we post.  But yeah, leaving early without scheduled time off (or coming in late) will result in losing your holiday pay. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2019
    @short+sassy, I know!  I’m so jealous of the PTO-less people!  I think I may stroll in late and leave early on Friday. 
    @OliveOilsMom you think like I do.  Have fun now - worry about payments later 😁

speaking of payments and stuff, a few days ago on the radio i hears that 69% of American’s have $1,000 or less in savings.  That was higher than I predicted but I can totally totally see how.  Im also not sure of accuracy or where they got the stats from.  

• mrsconn23 said:
    I like the company I work for.  Overall, they care about their employees and do right by us.  However, they are downright miserly when it comes to "bonus" time off.  Leaving early today or any normal work day (including Christmas Eve)?  That's fine, but you need to use vacation hours.  Want to take Fri. off because the 4th falls on a Thurs.?  Also fine.  But you need to use vacation hours.

My company is the same.  I have to use PTO for Friday. The only thing they did in the recent past is start closing on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  It's been about 6-7 years.  But I work for a large company with posted hours, so we are only closed on the holidays (and Sundays) that we post.  But yeah, leaving early without scheduled time off (or coming in late) will result in losing your holiday pay. 
    We’re similar; I’m using PTO Friday although today’s early release is enterprise wide so no one has to use it today. 
  • Today is NOT my Friday. 

We're having pizza and ice cream at work today. Then a BBQ on Friday. Hoping to leave early both days. 
  • @short+sassy, I know!  I’m so jealous of the PTO-less people!  I think I may stroll in late and leave early on Friday. 

speaking of payments and stuff, a few days ago on the radio i hears that 69% of American’s have $1,000 or less in savings.  That was higher than I predicted but I can totally totally see how.  Im also not sure of accuracy or where they got the stats from.  
    At my current job, my start date on my first year was in late Nov.  So I worked the FULL day on Christmas Eve, since I didn't have any vacation time.  By 2PM, I was literally the only person on my entire floor left.  I didn't have any work to do by then, so I consoled myself that at least it was one of the easiest workdays ever.  And I futzed around on the Internet, until the workday ended at 5PM.  Probably silly but, for my own moral code, leaving at 2PM and lying about it was wrong.  But staying at the office and not doing any work...because I didn't have any and wouldn't have any come in, since no one else was there...was fine.  Though the lack of productivity in both those scenarios was the same, lol.

There have been a lot of studies done on this topic over the years and, while the percentages will vary a bit, they are always in that ballpark.  It's very scary and very unfortunate.  Not just for the people who essentially live paycheck-to-paycheck, but for our society at large also.  On the consumer side, we are a "spender" nation.  Which works out well and accelerates growth during times of prosperity.  But it's just the opposite during times of recession and we saw just how fast and ugly that becomes with the 2008 housing/loan crisis.

On the surface, it looks like an individual family problem.  But when you see those kinds of stats for the nation, it's a Macro-Economics problem and the sheer complexity of it is staggering because there can be hundreds of factors involved that then, in turn, practically becomes a unique story for each individual/family.

It's also why I'm such a huge proponent of budgeting.  It's an essential life skill that many people don't have and/or don't do because we're really not exposed to it.  As one individual/family, we can't control things like the unemployment and prime interest rates.  We can't control the stagnation of wages, while medical and educational expenses rise at exponential rates.  But, at least to some extent, we can control our own income and expenses.  And the first step is just knowing what those are.  The real numbers, because underestimating expenses is easy to do and a common mistake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy, I know!  I’m so jealous of the PTO-less people!  I think I may stroll in late and leave early on Friday. 

At my current job, my start date on my first year was in late Nov.  So I worked the FULL day on Christmas Eve, since I didn't have any vacation time.  By 2PM, I was literally the only person on my entire floor left.  I didn't have any work to do by then, so I consoled myself that at least it was one of the easiest workdays ever.  And I futzed around on the Internet, until the workday ended at 5PM.  Probably silly but, for my own moral code, leaving at 2PM and lying about it was wrong.  But staying at the office and not doing any work...because I didn't have any and wouldn't have any come in, since no one else was there...was fine.  Though the lack of productivity in both those scenarios was the same, lol.

There have been a lot of studies done on this topic over the years and, while the percentages will vary a bit, they are always in that ballpark.  It's very scary and very unfortunate.  Not just for the people who essentially live paycheck-to-paycheck, but for our society at large also.  On the consumer side, we are a "spender" nation.  Which works out well and accelerates growth during times of prosperity.  But it's just the opposite during times of recession and we saw just how fast and ugly that becomes with the 2008 housing/loan crisis.

On the surface, it looks like an individual family problem.  But when you see those kinds of stats for the nation, it's a Macro-Economics problem and the sheer complexity of it is staggering because there can be hundreds of factors involved that then, in turn, practically becomes a unique story for each individual/family.

It's also why I'm such a huge proponent of budgeting.  It's an essential life skill that many people don't have and/or don't do because we're really not exposed to it.  As one individual/family, we can't control things like the unemployment and prime interest rates.  We can't control the stagnation of wages, while medical and educational expenses rise at exponential rates.  But, at least to some extent, we can control our own income and expenses.  And the first step is just knowing what those are.  The real numbers, because underestimating expenses is easy to do and a common mistake.
    I had just read this article last week so it’s interesting timing it got brought up here. 

So yes, 60ish % of the country doesn’t have it in savings but that doesnt actually mean they don’t have it in credit or access through other avenues. I know that’s not your point but I think it’s a good point about how we extrapolate from survey results to implications for the macroeconomy. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/01/14/its-simply-not-true-that-most-americans-dont-have-1000-in-emergency-savings/amp/ 
  • I had just read this article last week so it’s interesting timing it got brought up here. 

So yes, 60ish % of the country doesn’t have it in savings but that doesnt actually mean they don’t have it in credit or access through other avenues. I know that’s not your point but I think it’s a good point about how we extrapolate from survey results to implications for the macroeconomy. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/01/14/its-simply-not-true-that-most-americans-dont-have-1000-in-emergency-savings/a

SIB

yeah you make a very good point.

• I’m also using vacation time for Friday. We had half days on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve this past holiday season. I was able to take vacation both those days, though.

No early release today, but that’s never guaranteed for us before a holiday.

I’m intermittently checking tomorrow’s weather and checking street closures for the All-Star Game. It shouldn’t affect my commute too much, at least not to work. I do have a doctor’s appointment on game day. It’s not till 5:45, but I’m taking some comp time so I have plenty of time to get there.
  • ei34ei34 member
    Just getting in from a pool day with the kids.  Tomorrow our town has a little parade, and we're having a small-ish bbq by us.  I'm definitely grilling some pizzas.  

I had just read this article last week so it’s interesting timing it got brought up here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/01/14/its-simply-not-true-that-most-americans-dont-have-1000-in-emergency-savings/amp/ 
    Haha, sorry!  I know I went on a bit of a tangent about the macro-economy, which was really coming much more from the sheer bombardment of articles about income gaps, housing shortages, student loan and credit card debt, the list goes on and affordability topics in general.  And not as much from this one particular statistic.

But also, however one wants to slice it and I'm not necessarily blaming individuals, it is concerning the majority of Americans don't have $1,000 in liquid assets.  That's also how the slippery slope of credit card debt can sometimes start.  Most financial planners recommend people have 6 months of basic expenses saved, in case of a job loss.  Which I have to admit feels like enough to choke a horse, lol.  But that's the same advice I've read from multiple sources.

Plus, I'd strongly suspect that as we started looking at lower and lower income brackets, we'd also start seeing the % of people with access to any kind of credit ('ccs, loans from family, etc.) declining as well.

With all that said, we should always question statistics and look for the slants/flaws that are usually there!  One of my all-time favorite sayings is "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" -- Mark Twain 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    Migraines are awful and this weather....constant humidity/heat/storms do NOT help!
    We are hosting tomorrow and it sucks to try and plan an indoor AND outdoor plan.  I definitely OD'd on desserts, but it sounded good at the time.  Berry trifle, insane Chex/dried berries/sunflower seeds/M & M/ white chocolate drizzle mix, sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting, Rice Krispy Treats....hopefully they will all be eaten or taken home!  I am also making my "slush" which is a delicious but odd combination of teas, sugar water, frozen lemonade, and bourbon, which gets frozen.  You can drink it "straight" or scoop some in a cup and add a little 7-UP.  Definitely takes the heat away!
    Easy, odd and fun card game we play is Exploding Kittens.  It is a bit like Old Maid, but always fun.  Cash Flow sounds very interesting!

• MobKaz said:
    Migraines are awful and this weather....constant humidity/heat/storms do NOT help!
    We are hosting tomorrow and it sucks to try and plan an indoor AND outdoor plan.  I definitely OD'd on desserts, but it sounded good at the time.  Berry trifle, insane Chex/dried berries/sunflower seeds/M & M/ white chocolate drizzle mix, sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting, Rice Krispy Treats....hopefully they will all be eaten or taken home!  I am also making my "slush" which is a delicious but odd combination of teas, sugar water, frozen lemonade, and bourbon, which gets frozen.  You can drink it "straight" or scoop some in a cup and add a little 7-UP.  Definitely takes the heat away!
    Easy, odd and fun card game we play is Exploding Kittens.  It is a bit like Old Maid, but always fun.  Cash Flow sounds very interesting!

I hope your migraine gets better and I'll cross my fingers it will be a beautiful day for your party and you all can go with the outside plan.

Your slush sounds awesome!

I first saw Exploding Kittens on Amazon during one of those special Prime days when they have tons of discounted deals, but each one only lasts a few hours.  It was a featured deal on the main page and, with a name like that, I had to read the description, lol.  I was tempted, but didn't purchase.  Thanks for the review!  I may need to rethink that decision, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MobKaz, I feel you on the migraine. I still have the feeling of residual one from yesterday. A good friend of mine makes that slush! That can knock you flat without even realize you are drinking!

• MobKaz said:

You can always send some of those desserts to us.  ;)
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    @MobKaz, I feel you on the migraine. I still have the feeling of residual one from yesterday. A good friend of mine makes that slush! That can knock you flat without even realize you are drinking!

Actually, I was empathizing with your migraine.  I get them on occasion, but nothing I would consider "regular".  I have an "I forgot to eat because I was ironically in the kitchen all day" headache.  LOL  I spent most of the day tasting, but sadly, most was not very healthy.  I'm hoping to banish the headache with a good dose of protein.
    The slush is indeed a sneaker/creeper beverage.  I have yet to find someone that does not enjoy it immensely! I'm not really even a "drinker" and I must have one, too.
    Happy 4th! 
  • Thanks, MobKaz! Hope your party goes well. We have absolutely no plans - I'm ok with that considering the weather doesn't look promising. My friend who makes the slush is hosting an afternoon book club next week. She has a pool so likes to host in July so we can make an afternoon evening of it. She always makes the slush.
  • I want this slush.