Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

NWR: Funeral Food...

I have a funeral to attend (my MOH's Mom) - instead of going to the funeral I volunteered to be at the house getting all of the food ready for the meal after the graveside service (one of those "this detail is being delegated for you! One less thing to think/stress about this week" type things).  

SO - what are your "grab and snack" go-to treats (think the small little grab a bite without taking a plate type thing) that if you're at an event such as an after funeral reception (at a family house with close family - hence relaxed group to not take the extra plate to make someone have to wash it but not messy food nor gross to grab using the proper utensils snack) you'd be bummed if that food wasn't there?  

Re: NWR: Funeral Food...

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That’s really almost impossible to do, in my opinion.  Even some of the “grab and go” items could benefit from a plate.  If not, guests will tend to either not eat much (and you have lots of leftovers), or guests remain by the buffet set up.  I would get “good” paper goods such as Chinet plates, which will lessen clean up.

Sandwich spirals would work well.  Any type of kabob/food on a stick would work as well. Small appetizers on cocktail bread would be easy, as would your basic cheese/crackers/grapes platter.  Scoopable chips such as Tostito scoops or some other hearty cracker/chip would lend itself to dips such as hummus.  Well cut pizza squares would work, too.  There are lots of ready made mini quiche, hot dog wraps/pigs in a blanket type appetizers that would lend itself to a casual style buffet.  

• For our getting-ready snacks, we had mini quiches, pigs in a blanket, and little spanakopita-type things. @MobKaz has some other great suggestions, and I agree with her that you should have plates.
  • I am assuming you didn't mean you literally wouldn't have plates. Get small paper plates, plastic cups (Chinet and Solo can be recycled, as can those clear plastic cups you use at gallery openings).

Go to Costco, Walmart, Target, Trader Joe's, wherever, and scout out the frozen appetizer section.

Buy some sliced ham and get some mini rolls. Set out mustard, pickles, etc. for people to put together a quick sandwich.

Lots of cocktail napkins. And if people drink, serve wine and beer. But definitely have soda and seltzer.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2019
    Main courses obviously are plated and a full meal is being served... This is the hang around time and mingle afterwords (and hoping for ideas that don't involve keeping food at temperature!)...  Also, NO alcohol is being served!  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Main courses obviously are plated and a full meal is being served... This is the hang around time and mingle afterwords (and hoping for ideas that don't involve keeping food at temperature!)...  Also, NO alcohol is being served!  
    I still think you’re going to want small plates. I get what you’re going for but unless it’s just a few people people are going to want plates to take and move away from the food. 

One of my go-to snacks is a small toast (thinly sliced baguette) with pesto and a thin slice of Parmesan cheese, toasted under the broiler. Easy to make and a good grab and go. 
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    One of my favorite grab and go things are skewers with cheese tortellini, cherry tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    MesmrEwe said:
    Got it.  Small quiches could sit out, as could a cheese/cracker/fruit platter.  With a full meal being planned, I would keep this part light.  A good ol' vegetable platter, a few non-refrigerated dips such as hummus, and simple spiral sandwiches would be plenty.  Easy desserts/sweets would be cookies, brownie bites or other one bite treats ala Costco.