Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I cannot get enough of coverage of the USWNT. I want their sweatpants. I want to party with them. I want to date Megan Rapinoe. I’m not even a sports person and I’m contemplating skipping work for the parade

Re: Tuesday

• I cannot get enough of coverage of the USWNT. I want their sweatpants. I want to party with them. I want to date Megan Rapinoe. I’m not even a sports person and I’m contemplating skipping work for the parade
    I think Sue Bird may have something to say about that! 
  • I cannot get enough of coverage of the USWNT. I want their sweatpants. I want to party with them. I want to date Megan Rapinoe. I’m not even a sports person and I’m contemplating skipping work for the parade
    Quite actually looking up the sweatpants and trying to justify spending $100 on pants to lounge in. 
  • banana468 said:
    I cannot get enough of coverage of the USWNT. I want their sweatpants. I want to party with them. I want to date Megan Rapinoe. I’m not even a sports person and I’m contemplating skipping work for the parade
    I pose zero competition to her, the worlds best girlfriend. That article she wrote about the president hating her girlfriend? Swoon. 
  • banana468 said:
    I pose zero competition to her, the worlds best girlfriend. That article she wrote about the president hating her girlfriend? Swoon. 
    You could straight up feel the love coming through that article!! 
  • I adore that team so much.  They are so awesome and special.  GO TO THE PARADE!  And report back!  kthanxbai  ;) 

Still in the office.  Had a moment when I looked my car clock and realized I'd still be asleep if I was home.  Over. It. 

Working on party prep for my mom's party.  I'm ready for it to be over because my extended family can be such a PITA.  And also, the office is really getting in the way of my giving a fuck around the house.  I cannot wait to see my grandpa though.  I haven't seen him since my grandma passed away last fall. 

Anyway, it's also Tuesday and Tuesdays suck.  :) 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
     Over the women’s national team how he love them so I love that they have gotten M2 into soccer again. I love that they are unapologetic and their joy and their success. I hate that they are paid so much less than the men. And I hate that they play on turf.

Yesterday was a shit show. Thought I was taking the van in for a three hour appointment. They ended up having to keep the van overnight so I still have a rental. Now they are bugging me to go pick up my car and bring back the rental. Not gonna happen on their timeline.

This morning I woke up to Max telling me I had a tell me that looks like though. I went downstairs to work out that tell me that looks like though and found the cats had halfway killed a mouse.

After cleaning up the mouse, Doing my work out, working, taking the kids to camp, making four rounds of pizza dough, two loaves of bread, baked oatmeal, Lara bars, couple dozen muffins, I just sat down.

Now it dawns on me that we are going away this weekend and next week is a mess as well. 6let has a goalie camp from 9 to 4 every day an hour away. I swear I’m gonna start the scene logistics coordinator on my resume.

Oh and I am anxiously stuck in my inbox for word on 6lets try out. Even though we shouldn’t hear anything until Sunday.
  • DD had accidents at school all day long.  But as soon as we got home, she went!  And then went and went again!  So she didn't want to go at school, for whatever reason.  So we told her that if she wants to go to the Phillies game on Friday, she has to start using the potty at school.  So far today, no accidents!  Not sure if that is the best parenting decision, but so far so good!

My friend was able to get Hamilton tickets for us!  We will be going to one of the October shows in Philly.  She even got us row A in the mezzanine!  Boom!  She did good!

Um bribery/threats is the only way sometimes and you gotta use what works.  ;) 

AND SCORE on the Hamilton tix.  How exciting.  
  • Ugh, so we're kinda back to the drawing board on getting quotes for HVAC and roofing work.  My H is calling to set up more appointments today.

For HVAC, of the three companies who came to the house to bid, only one actually submitted a quote.  Despite our repeated "reminders" to the other two that we're still waiting on their quotes.  The one we got is one of the "big names" in town with lots of advertising, so we suspected they'd be on the high end.  They were.  Insanely high.  $11K for a 3-ton unit and ductwork.  It should really be more in the $8K-$9K range for all of that.

We also contacted three companies for roof/soffit/gutter quotes.  Two of them submitted quotes, the third one did not.  Neither one were complete quotes for everything we requested and one of those seemed unreasonably high, even for what they did quote.  The other company submitted a second quote.  Still missing either the soffit or gutters or both (forget which).  So we're waiting for that third correction, smh.

I half-joked to my H that, if he were a younger man, I swear he should go to trade school and get his certification for HVAC replace/repair.  We'd make a killing with our own company...simply by showing up for quote appointments and then submitting accurate quotes promptly.  It's sad that's half the battle, but it is.  And it's the same story everywhere, for every trade (eye roll).

Just the HVAC and roof work comprises over half the rehab amount that's rolled into the loan.  I have to spend money first, have the work done, and then make a draw request for what's been completed.  We'll have all the interior work done for the vacant unit by about the end of this month.  As such, I really want the roof work done and at least the HVAC for that unit done by then, so my first draw request includes some of those big ticket items.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Soccer had always bored me but my 5-yr-old took to it this past spring...she was the only girl on her team and once she got the hang of it she was absolutely taking names, jumping in on every play.  Last game of the season she scored five goals.  So it felt really great that she was able to watch women on tv, killing it.  I loved watching the Mets play but always wished there was televised women's softball (my sport) as a kid.  I'm adoring all of the USWNT coverage too!

@OliveOilsMom my son went through a phase where he would only use the potty at home...if he was at my mother or sister's house, or when he started preschool in Sept (he was potty trained last summer), he had accidents.  To the point where the school didn't believe me that he was potty-trained, which was a requirement :# it only last a couple of weeks but it was a tricky time.  Your DD will get there...the bribe sounds perfect.  Actually good for her reasoning and cause-and-effect skills!  ;)

Today's my mom's actual 60th bday.  Yay.  Still pissed at my brother/all that went down but trying to shake it off, it's not like me to hold a grudge.  One of our guys won the homerun derby last night, so our team has one bright spot this abysmal season.  New kitchen table arrived this morning, I adore it.  SSDD otherwise.

• My day started off great. I was asked if I was pregnant due to my “low hanging belly.” I’m still shocked someone would even ask it that way. I’ve finally been feeling good about the progress I’ve made and then some asshole has to say that. And I was even thinking this morning I need some smaller scrubs because these are getting too big. And while I do have a pooch, it’s not like it was hanging out below my scrubs or anything. So kind of a shitty start. I’m already over the day. I’m ready for San Diego this weekend. 

I’m also crushing on Megan Rapinoe/USWNT. 

@short+sassy how annoying. We need to have our foundation redone and we’ve had the same problem with getting quotes. It should not be that difficult to give us a bid. We’re literally trying to give you money. I hope they respond to you soon. 

• ei34ei34 member
    Ugh people suck @levioosa ...crazyyy inappropriate of that person!
  • Levioosa - Don't let the asshat get to you.  Just focus on the progress you have made.

S+S - We finally signed our contract for the siding, but we had 6 people out for a quote and only 3 quotes submitted.  That doesn't include the companies my husband called and never called us back!  And one of our 3 was exactly like the company you described: they advertise everywhere and have a high mark-up!  They were actually double the cost of the other two quotes we received, didn't include all of the work we wanted either because the guy who came to our house, didn't quote patio door installations!  But it helped put our other quotes into perspective!
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited July 2019
    Who does that @levioosa?  Like, who?!? Uggggh.  Ignore.
    @short+sassy, yeah remodeling/repairs are mucho bucks.  It’s a good industry to be in.  Never to late!
    @oliveoilsmom - those ate great seats and I love love love Hamilton.  Went twice!
    @mrsconn23, so glad I’m not the only one who sleeps wfh!  I mean, what else should you do?

i feel so stupid.  I set my iced coffee on a pink post it note and it seeped through and dyed my desk!! I tried an all purpose cleaner and nada.  Help?!? Anyone else done this stupid move before....On work property? What did you use to get it off?  I’m sure this is beyond our cleaning crew’s duties. 

Edit words

• @OliveOilsMom, yep!  I remember the frustration you all had with your siding on that.  I'm also not counting the companies we called who didn't call us back to set up an appointment, lol.

@CharmedPam, do you all have sponges with the green, scrubby stuff on one side?  Maybe something a bit harsher than a paper towel or normal sponge can scrub it off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're in the same boat S&S! I've called a couple of companies to get trim repair, roofing and painting done. Yesterday one finally came out to get a the info. Said they couldn't go up on the roof alone so will be back in the next day or two. Well they didn't come out today and we haven't heard back from anyone else! So frustrating!

@OliveOilsMom, I say what ever works (within reason of course)! A friend was having trouble with her three year old girl twin potty training. The little boy had potty trained months before. I told her it was a classic power struggle (the child knew what she was suppose to do), and that she needed to tell her she couldn't do something. Sooo, mom told her that she could't go to gymnastics because you had to go potty in the potty. Low and behold the child is potty trained! 

@levioosa how awful. I recently asked my doctor if there was a baby due soon. I was very hesitant about asking but it really was quite obvious (I see this doctor every month or so). She laughed and told me she thought she had told me! I expressed how hesitant I was at asking but she was like "no big deal, I hope if I'm this big I better be pregnant"!

H got the child gates installed today (twins will be here for a week starting on Friday). I worked out, did some ironing, did a small job at the theater and now am ready to take a nap. I was out later than usual last night with some friends from church and overslept this morning.  I hate starting the day like that. 
  • edited July 2019
    @CharmedPam, try a Magic Eraser. They seriously clean anything. Good luck!

@levioosa, that sucks! I would be pissed too.

I’m over today as well, and I’m not looking forward to traffic going home. I work a little east of downtown and will be going west. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the All-Star game is here, but it’s really going to throw a monkey wrench into my commute.

Edited to add: Commute was only a little slower than usual. Probably because I was closer to the football stadium than the baseball field.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @charmedpam try a magic eraser, I swear they work on everything
  • @CharmedPam - I would try alcohol (wipes, Purell), magic eraser, any household cleaner/wipe with bleach or a paste of water and baking soda.

• I've never before been particularly into soccer, but that may be changing, thanks to the USWNT. Congratulations to the team, and may they receive equal pay for their hard work.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    MNNEBride said:
    @CharmedPam - I would try alcohol (wipes, Purell), magic eraser, any household cleaner/wipe with bleach or a paste of water and baking soda.

It is frightening, but baby wipes get out some incredible stains!  The hand sanitizer is a good call, and I have also used hair spray to get some stains off surfaces.  I also use a lot of hydrogen peroxide for stains.  

@ILoveBeachMusic, you had me at “iron”.  LOL. One of my closets is actually called “the ironing closet” as all things requiring ironing go there until “iron@ILoveBeachMusic

As far as tradespeople, I fear supply and demand are become disproportionate.  There are so much fewer people entering the trades, there aren’t enough to get to all the jobs.  And many of the newer generations have not been taught “basic skills” by their folks, so even some of the simpler DIY jobs are being hired out.  Then you have some of the “aging” folk like me, who used to take on chores in the past that I/husband can no longer do efficiently or safely.

• MNNEBride said:
    @CharmedPam - I would try alcohol (wipes, Purell), magic eraser, any household cleaner/wipe with bleach or a paste of water and baking soda.

Hydrogen peroxide might work too, if you would prefer not to use bleach.
  • Baking soda and white vinegar got out stains in my old ass formica countertop in the kitchen!  Sprinkle on the baking soda and then spray or drizzle some vinegar on top.  While it reacts, scrub with a sponge.

And thanks for making me feel better about parenting by bribery!  LOL!
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What a jerk @levioosa
  • Thanks ladies.  Nothing like that here - so I’ll have to see if our cleaning staff has something tonight.  If not, I’ll try magic eraser first! 

• MobKaz said:
    MNNEBride said:

It is frightening, but baby wipes get out some incredible stains!  The hand sanitizer is a good call, and I have also used hair spray to get some stains off surfaces.  I also use a lot of hydrogen peroxide for stains.  

@ILoveBeachMusic, you had me at “iron”.  LOL. One of my closets is actually called “the ironing closet” as all things requiring ironing go there until “iron@ILoveBeachMusic

As far as tradespeople, I fear supply and demand are become disproportionate.  There are so much fewer people entering the trades, there aren’t enough to get to all the jobs.  And many of the newer generations have not been taught “basic skills” by their folks, so even some of the simpler DIY jobs are being hired out.  Then you have some of the “aging” folk like me, who used to take on chores in the past that I/husband can no longer do efficiently or safely.
    I couldn't agree more!  Whenever I hear a friend or friend's teen or whomever with the "what should I do to make money"...especially if that's followed with a "don't like school/don't want to go to college"...I always suggest going to a vocational school and getting into the trades.  The schooling is usually short, depending on what it is, like 3-12 months.

They can usually make "okay to pretty decent" money for a few years, as they work through their apprenticeship and gain experience.  But after that, if they go into business for themselves, the sky's the limit!  Our plumber friend has a HS diploma.  No further education, though I think he's mentioned he went to vocational school eons ago (not totally sure how he got started), and he makes $50/hour.  However, a downfall I see with him and I'm sure there are others who fall into this category, is motivation.  Because, when you work for yourself, you have to be self-motivated.  Which is easier said than done. 
    Preach!!  

I'm a huge proponent of the trades and roll my eyes so much during the debates about "free college education" when it's the trades we so desperately need.   If you go to a technical HS here for HVAC you can write your own ticket and start off in your early 20's making money that's comparable with my salary.   
  • banana468 said:

Preach!!  

I'm a huge proponent of the trades and roll my eyes so much during the debates about "free college education" when it's the trades we so desperately need.   If you go to a technical HS here for HVAC you can write your own ticket and start off in your early 20's making money that's comparable with my salary.   
    I agree with bed more skilled trades but the college education/tuition vs trades is, IMO, the wrong debate. Yes, not everyone is prepared/needs/“should” go to college and there should be more support and encouragement for those people. 

But college tuition is a real real barrier to many people who would benefit from a college education. People who earn a college degree still out earn people with a high school diploma, and future earning for people with college degrees and advanced degrees outpace people with those degrees. 

I think we need more realistic & supportive conversations around all career choices (colleges, trades, tuition, loans) and work with young people to decide what is right for them. We can have cheaper/free tuition AND more skilled tradespeople. 
    I guess I hadn't thought that far ahead about it, but I agree with both of you.  It would be great to see tuition for trade schools included in these "free college education" discussions.  Especially since the tuition is typically cheaper, since the schooling isn't as long.

So now I'm going a little "puppies and rainbows", but it would be amazing to live in a society that encourages people to reach for their dreams and a better livelihood.  Not just with words, but also with actions.  And not just for the betterment of those individuals.  A more educated workforce can lead to a growing economy and technological advances.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker