Wedding Woes

Tuesday. Right?

2»

Re: Tuesday. Right?

• One of these days, I will need to take an extended culinary road trip.  Here are my wishful stops (these are all local dishes, not the restaurant names):

--Hot Brown in Louisville, KY
    --Garbage Plate in Rochester, NY
    --Buffalo Wings in Buffalo, NY
    --Lobster Rolls in coastal Maine
    --Poutine in Canada (I'll add in Ottowa specifically, thanks to you @MissKitty Danger)
    What about a Cheesesteak sandwich in Philly (unless you already did that?) or Boston cream pie in Boston?

honestly, up until a few weeks ago I would have said NC for that poutine. Someone from Quebec moved to Chicago and opened up a poutinary.  It wasn’t very successful here, don’t know why because it was the best I ever had!  But then he moved to NC.  I followed him on facebook and unfortunately, it wasn’t successful there either.   I think Quebec was the founding town of it.  I know I haven’t has anything in Winnipeg, Manitoba worth drooing over.  

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    hit MI and possibly the U.P. to grab a pasty or Dearborne for middle-eastern food.  And be a true fudgie by, of course, buying fudge.
    (And either need faygo or vernors to drink)

I did enjoy a garbage plate--the kiddo (did you know she can't stand her food to tech?  this is not a surprise) did not.
    But if you go to Rochester, also hit the strong museum of play :P

• One of these days, I will need to take an extended culinary road trip.  Here are my wishful stops (these are all local dishes, not the restaurant names):

--Poutine in Canada (I'll add in Ottowa specifically, thanks to you @MissKitty Danger)
    What about a Cheesesteak sandwich in Philly (unless you already did that?) or Boston cream pie in Boston?

honestly, up until a few weeks ago I would have said NC for that poutine. Someone from Quebec moved to Chicago and opened up a poutinary.  It wasn’t very successful here, don’t know why because it was the best I ever had!  But then he moved to NC.  I followed him on facebook and unfortunately, it wasn’t successful there either.   I think Quebec was the founding town of it.  I know I haven’t has anything in Winnipeg, Manitoba worth drooing over.  
    I'll also recommend that you should also try a Connecticut lobster roll while you're at it so you can decide if you like Maine or CT style better. You can skip the New England style lobster roll. No one likes those. 

I've already had both of those in their famed cities.  But what extended culinary tour of the northern states would be complete without NYC?  I just checked a map of the US.  Looks like I could plan the drive through Philly to get from Louisville to NYC.  Because those cheesesteaks would definitely be worth a repeat!

Two guys from Philly opened a cheesesteak place in New Orleans.  Pfffttt!!!  Marginal, at best.  I was very disappointed.  My high hopes dashed.

We loved the food in Boston, but not so much the Boston Cream pie.  We had it at the hotel who originated the recipe.  So I feel blasphemous to say it, but it was one of my least favorite versions of it.  To me, the best part of a Boston Cream pie is the custard filling.  Their version is more a slice of cake, with only two thin layers of the cream part.  Not nearly enough custardy creamy goodness!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I'll also recommend that you should also try a Connecticut lobster roll while you're at it so you can decide if you like Maine or CT style better. You can skip the New England style lobster roll. No one likes those. 
    There are differences (squealing with excitement)!!!  Now that you say that, I vaguely remember this being talked about when I was complaining about no lobster rolls to be found anywhere in NOLA.

I had lobster rolls at a few places when we were vacationing in Boston.  I don't know what style they were.  They all seemed similar, though some were more flavorful then others.  And that is just a relative comparison because they were all delicious to me since they're such a rare treat, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I've already had both of those in their famed cities.  But what extended culinary tour of the northern states would be complete without NYC?  I just checked a map of the US.  Looks like I could plan the drive through Philly to get from Louisville to NYC.  Because those cheesesteaks would definitely be worth a repeat!

Two guys from Philly opened a cheesesteak place in New Orleans.  Pfffttt!!!  Marginal, at best.  I was very disappointed.  My high hopes dashed.

We loved the food in Boston, but not so much the Boston Cream pie.  We had it at the hotel who originated the recipe.  So I feel blasphemous to say it, but it was one of my least favorite versions of it.  To me, the best part of a Boston Cream pie is the custard filling.  Their version is more a slice of cake, with only two thin layers of the cream part.  Not nearly enough custardy creamy goodness!
    And if you go to Philly for a cheesesteak, either rent a car or take an Uber to D'Alessandro's. It's worth the added trip. HANDS DOWN the best cheesesteaks EVER. 

We just call them wings, or chicken wings, in Buffalo. And they must be ordered with blue cheese never ranch.  
    Thanks for the advice!  I see I would have made two mistakes in my ordering, lol.  I usually get ranch, but blue cheese is good also.  Come to think of it, we just call them wings here also.  But I do describe that type of sauce as "Buffalo".

For example, I was at a wing place the other day picking up strips (for H) and wings.  They had all kinds of sauces to choose from.  One of them was called "Original", with three different heat levels.  And I asked, "Is your Original sauce like a Buffalo sauce?"  Yes, it was.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

We just call them wings, or chicken wings, in Buffalo. And they must be ordered with blue cheese never ranch.  
    Thanks for the advice!  I see I would have made two mistakes in my ordering, lol.  I usually get ranch, but blue cheese is good also.  Come to think of it, we just call them wings here also.  But I do describe that type of sauce as "Buffalo".

For example, I was at a wing place the other day picking up strips (for H) and wings.  They had all kinds of sauces to choose from.  One of them was called "Original", with three different heat levels.  And I asked, "Is your Original sauce like a Buffalo sauce?"  Yes, it was.    
    For sauce it’s just hot, medium, mild and you get “Buffalo” sauce. If you want something else you have to specify (ie BBQ, hot BBQ, etc). 

One of the best bar wings used to have have its own wing fest where they would try out new flavors. Best ones we’ve had there were cool ranch Doritos, salt and vinegar, and the breakfast wing (cornflake crust, bacon, and a maple glaze). 

There are differences (squealing with excitement)!!!  Now that you say that, I vaguely remember this being talked about when I was complaining about no lobster rolls to be found anywhere in NOLA.

I had lobster rolls at a few places when we were vacationing in Boston.  I don't know what style they were.  They all seemed similar, though some were more flavorful then others.  And that is just a relative comparison because they were all delicious to me since they're such a rare treat, lol.
    Maine style is cold with mayo; CT style is warm with clarified butter; New England style has lettuce, chives, celery, and mayo. All have toasted buns. 
  • CT lobster rolls are IMO the ONLY way to eat them! :-) 

@short+sassy if you hit up CT I'd happily give you recommendations.   One tourist trappy place does have a good bun and tons of lobster meat on their sandwich and bonus - you don't need a bib for it.

Here's my take: pound for pound lobster is generally more expensive.   So coating it with mayo and serving it cold hides a lot of its inherent delicious flavor.   Serving it hot with butter on a toasted roll brings out its deliciousness and also does so much of the dirty work for you.  

If you're in CT go to New Haven and get pizza.   I love Bar but would also HIGHLY recommend Modern.  The white clam at Modern is SO GOOD.   

I haven't eaten lunch and I'm hungry. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2019

Maine style is cold with mayo; CT style is warm with clarified butter; New England style has lettuce, chives, celery, and mayo. All have toasted buns. 
    Thanks!  That does refresh my memory.  None of the ones I had, had lettuce or celery on them.  At least I don't remember that.  All of them were cold and mixed with mayo or had mayo on the sandwich.  I vaguely/maybe remember chives on one of them.

I definitely haven't had a CT style!  Note to self: add a CT lobster roll to my culinary adventure.  And listen to @banana468 and add white clam pizza at Modern.

While New Orleans is not known for our pizza.  Nor should we be, lol.  Some of the better, local places will have unique New-Orleansy toppings choices.  Things like blackened shrimp, chargrilled oysters, andouielle sausage.  And muffaletta pizzas that have olive salad and Italian meats.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 I would've totally driven to Buffalo with H for a wing fest at a bar. And you are absolutely correct - you do not ever get ranch dressing with chicken wings. Always blue cheese.

I live in the area that created the garbage plate! It looks absolutely revolting but it is quite possibly one of the best things I've ever eaten. The stadium that our minor league baseball team plays at hosts Plate night on certain Thursdays and the team plays as the Rochester Plates, complete with special uniforms. They also offer a mini garbage plate in a cup called a Trashcan that's available at all games - we take garbage plates, very VERY seriously in Rochester. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Well now I'm ravenous  :p
  • ei34 said:
    Well now I'm ravenous  :p
    Seconded

• 6fsn said:
    Man I’d love a garbage plate. First time I had one I was so high and it was so good 
    Based on explanation, it sounds like it would be the GREATEST high food .... or when you're drunk and hungry at 2am
  • You know (I am) was on a diet, right?

• The entitled grandparent babysitting gets my ire up! I told DD I would babysit when I can (or offer) and she knows how I feel about taking advantage of grandparents. I do go up a lot but that is my choice. Most of the time I offer. There have been very few times she has asked us to babysit. She and SIL are also very appreciative when we do babysit. I figure right now, I am in good health and can enjoy the boys (and should). However, I have friends who have health issues and are running themselves ragged taking care of their grands.
    I'm sure financially they are running ragged - unless the grandkids are being brought stuff while grandparents watch them.
    {ex: still in diapers, so sending diapers for them}
    DD and SIL always provide stuff for the boys. The boys are just eating small amounts of food so when they are here (which isn't often) the amount they eat is minimal. I'm usually up at their place where, of course, everything is provided. 
  • OK ladies, I'm starving now!!! I wish I could get a lobster roll or a pizza from Bar @banana468! DD lived about a block from  Bar when she was in graduate school (her last year) and just down the street from Modern her first year! I preferred Bar.
  • OK ladies, I'm starving now!!! I wish I could get a lobster roll or a pizza from Bar @banana468! DD lived about a block from  Bar when she was in graduate school (her last year) and just down the street from Modern her first year! I preferred Bar.
    @ILoveBeachMusic your DD is a smartie pants!   I know what college down the street from Bar!