Chit Chat

Anyone noticed how we've slowed down our posting?

We post every day in Wedding Woes, but we're not posting so much in the other folders.

Re: Anyone noticed how we've slowed down our posting?

• I've assumed that's because there aren't as many people around anymore.  Which means fewer posts.  So people just lean toward putting everything in the WW.

@OurWildKingdom sometimes branches out to other boards with interesting, usually wedding related, articles she's found.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Could it be the issues TK had for a long while that maybe people just ... gave up?
    Maybe. That would make sense.
  • Could it be the issues TK had for a long while that maybe people just ... gave up?
    The login issue alone is enough to put people off. Ahem, admins.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed!  I have to log in through multiple steps to find success.  Admins?  Good one, OWK :-). I have seen a few Knottie #’s that try to post somewhat regularly, but without creating a memorable or recognizable screen name, it’s hard to get to know them.  

I’ve been MIA in terms of posting, but have been reading as much as possible.  Last day of school tomorrow!  A quick road trip, and the LA grandbaby coming for her first visit to meet the rest of the family, and then I will be a bit more active again.
  • I've had days where I haven't been able to log in at all. It sucks - I'm sure that's why it's so slow here. 
  • I wonder if TK was used far more before Reddit and FB. 
  • You can almost pinpoint the complete drop-off in posts, especially from new blood, when TK took the link for the forums off one of the main pages.

I remember I had wanted to check WW from home one day, but was using a new computer so it wasn't in my favorites anymore.  I went to TK's main page to log into the forums.  There was nothing about them, no links.  I did a "search" within the TK website for "forum" and there was still nothing!?!  I actually left TK.  Did a Google search for "The Knot forums" and THAT was how I found them, smh.

I'm shocked we even get the very occasional new members posting.
    I've heard some shady things happening about TK as a brand and idk how accurate it is, but people could be steering clear of TK in general
  • edited June 2019
    I agree with short&sassy. The boards are well  hidden. I log on by clicking on 'account settings,' and then a menu opens that says community. When I joined so many years ago, I accidentally bumped into the forums. The link was right there and the boards were active, each having their own core community members, with some cross-over. I'm not sure why TK doesn't consider the boards to be an asset.

Add the technical issues. I'm sure many have just given up on signing in. Also, we once had administrators that interacted with community members and moderators. 

• Yeah, it (the community) isn't nearly as easy to find. I have mine bookmarked and read/check other boards regularly. Posting is almost non-existent other than WW. Ha, I really miss some of the stuff from a while back. I joined about 4 years ago and the boards were very active then. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I joined about seven years ago and the boards were super active then.  There was a bit of a pack mentality, and ganging up on people, which I don't miss, but the boards were active, helpful and entertaining nonetheless.  Now I'm shocked when someone new even posts- how'd they find the community?!
    I haven't been able to log on via my phone for several months, which is a drag.  It's definitely glitchy.

• eileenrob said:
    I joined about seven years ago and the boards were super active then.  There was a bit of a pack mentality, and ganging up on people, which I don't miss, but the boards were active, helpful and entertaining nonetheless.  Now I'm shocked when someone new even posts- how'd they find the community?!
    I haven't been able to log on via my phone for several months, which is a drag.  It's definitely glitchy.

I’ve been here for 5 and feel the same way. 

Funny though I usually can only log in on my phone. 
  • eileenrob said:

I’ve been here for 5 and feel the same way. 

Funny though I usually can only log in on my phone. 
    Me too. I haven’t been able to log in on my laptop in months.
  • I think there was a lot of upheaval a few years ago and TK simply decided the forums were more trouble than they are worth. They haven't actively shut them down but with not marketing them and all the glitches it might as well be.
  • TK doesn't like the forums cos people regularly tell everyone to ignore their advertisers, articles, and shitty recommendations to do the right thing.  I rarely post anymore cos I haut can't keep up with the daily posts on WW.  I teach, so can't log on until quite late.  By then, the daily thread is long and usually finished.  Makes it hard to stay involved in a conversation

• TK doesn't like the forums cos people regularly tell everyone to ignore their advertisers, articles, and shitty recommendations to do the right thing.  I rarely post anymore cos I haut can't keep up with the daily posts on WW.  I teach, so can't log on until quite late.  By then, the daily thread is long and usually finished.  Makes it hard to stay involved in a conversation
    Miss seeing your posts.  :)
    I sometimes don't have time to check the daily thread on WW. That doesn't keep me from posting on it the next day. It actually happens a lot with other posters too.

You're right, I could, but honestly, I find the threads are so full of stuff sometimes that I feel I'd be writing a novel to keep up and it would get lost. I tend to post a bit more on vacation time when I'm not teaching.  Gotta fill my day with something then.  ;) 

• I agree, I think unless you know to look for the boards, you won’t find it.

• eileenrob said:

When I first got on TK when I was engaged, it was active to the point that the local boards all had their own culture with the "Avoid the nationwide boards" as the "rule".  Then they did sweeps of people and kicked TONS off, then some left, and things have gotten to where they are now.  ISYN, we used to have local TK gatherings where members from our local boards would meet up as a group - I think there was at minimum 22 showing up on average!  Some of us are still friends IRL too having met on the boards!  One of our locals even wrote a book with her father covering a lot of the topics discussed on here and even got to go on Oprah with it!
  • MesmrEwe said:
    eileenrob said:

When I first got on TK when I was engaged, it was active to the point that the local boards all had their own culture with the "Avoid the nationwide boards" as the "rule".  Then they did sweeps of people and kicked TONS off, then some left, and things have gotten to where they are now.  ISYN, we used to have local TK gatherings where members from our local boards would meet up as a group - I think there was at minimum 22 showing up on average!  Some of us are still friends IRL too having met on the boards!  One of our locals even wrote a book with her father covering a lot of the topics discussed on here and even got to go on Oprah with it!
    That is so cool!
  • Wow, my kind of thread.  I've been the Vegas forum moderator for about eight years, and joined 9+ ago when planning my wedding.  I just replied to someone in the moderators forum, which is now down to perhaps ten people, none of whom have posted recently other than one to say she's abandoning TK because it's pointless now.

Whomever XO farmed forum management out to 5+ years ago now has successfully driven it into the ground.  They're using some odd software no other successful forum uses, they never managed or supported it, never fixed the endless bugs, it only works half the time, and then of course went back and forth between paid and community moderators, ultimately just pissing everyone off.  Back in the day the Vegas forum would have ten or twenty new threads per day, now it's been five this year lol.  Chit Chat and Snarky Brides were the only ones carrying the site it seemed in recent years, now I come here and see just a few threads per month, so it seems the death of this site is probably near given the two busiest forums on the site are now effectively idle.

They could have easily held off Reddit and FB by having the wedding-specific features people want, but they failed at that too.

Nice to see some people in here with old accounts though, I thought I was the only one left before clicking around today.  Not that I'm here much; doesn't take much work to moderate one thread every six weeks lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• @vegasgroom Come join us on Wedding Woes! That's the most active board here. 
  • edited July 2019
    @vegasgroom I'm still here. Some of the others have given up due to tech issues and lack of administrator support. One of the moderators has been listed as 'Deleted User' for over a year. Obviously, no one cares.