Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I'm off tomorrow, so this Tuesday isn't as bad as the others.  ;) 

IDK what I'm going to do next week when DefConn is back in school and I work an actual full week with no time off.  :)  I don't think I've worked a full week since the beginning of summer break.  

Other than that, SSDD.  

Re: Tuesday

• The cost to replace windows is RIDICULOUS.  We're going to have to do it in the next 5 or so years, and I can already give myself hives thinking about how much it's going to cost.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The cost to replace windows is RIDICULOUS.  We're going to have to do it in the next 5 or so years, and I can already give myself hives thinking about how much it's going to cost.  
    I know. That was actually the first project we did back in 2015. Which is why I don't think it's very important to replace these. We've already done every other window AND did new foam insulation. We're not losing any air out of those windows. And again, they're CUSTOM sizes. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Anderson is $$$$$$$. They were like 3 times any other quote we got for windows. I’m still pissed at one company that insisted dh and I both be here so I cancelled. They still kept calling. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

IDK what I'm going to do next week when DefConn is back in school and I work an actual full week with no time off.  :)  I don't think I've worked a full week since the beginning of summer break.  

Other than that, SSDD.  
    It blows my mind that you’re back next week. We don’t start until after Labor Day
  • mrsconn23 said:

Other than that, SSDD.  
    It blows my mind that you’re back next week. We don’t start until after Labor Day
    Almost the same for us.   Kids go the Wed before Labor Day.    Then again when I hear kids are out of school in late May I feel like June just DRAGS. 

@climbingwife good luck!   We got a quote for ONE bay window in our living room by an Anderssen competitor and it was about $15,000.   If I still have wood laminate paneling up in other parts of my house I'll let that window stay for now thanks.  

It's a busy camp week for us.   DD has both day camp and soccer camp at night but she seemed to LOVE the soccer camp.   I'm hoping that this is a good fit for her.  
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Morning. SSDD. I have two large projects at work that have been going on for weeks but should be wrapped up by end of week. After that I'll have a few weeks of quiet before my busy season starts.

Currently struggling with a dilemma however. I am very unhappy at my current employer - love my job but the environment is toxic. A competitor just posted an opening for the same job I'm doing today, but more money and better benefits. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat but being 13 weeks pregnant, I'm hesitating. I won't be eligible for any FMLA or Paid Family Leave, and I don't know what kind of time off I'll be able to get when I have the baby in February. I'm thinking I'll apply and see what happens, but I'm worried it'll just be a waste of time.
    definitely give it a try. It is possible they may have a leave policy that would mirror FMLA that you can use and still get the amount of time off you'd hoped for. And maybe they even have a paid maternity leave, never know. 
  • Morning. SSDD. I have two large projects at work that have been going on for weeks but should be wrapped up by end of week. After that I'll have a few weeks of quiet before my busy season starts.

Currently struggling with a dilemma however. I am very unhappy at my current employer - love my job but the environment is toxic. A competitor just posted an opening for the same job I'm doing today, but more money and better benefits. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat but being 13 weeks pregnant, I'm hesitating. I won't be eligible for any FMLA or Paid Family Leave, and I don't know what kind of time off I'll be able to get when I have the baby in February. I'm thinking I'll apply and see what happens, but I'm worried it'll just be a waste of time.
    Apply and see! They might be willing to give you leave even though you wouldn’t ordinarily be entitled to it. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    Dear clients, your filings are due tomorrow. I've sent countless reminders that it is due and you keep saying you will do it but you still haven't signed off. Don't come bitching to me when you are assessed a late penalty for not filing it on time or if you end up with an audit as a result.
  • @kvruns 5500 filings? I'm currently chasing down clients as well trying to get them to sign. And every year it's the same people.
  • Ugh, window replacements. We desperately want to replace ours because wood framed, single paned windows from 1900 are not energy efficient. Unfortunately our house is classified as “historical” just because it’s old, which is so dumb. There is nothing historical about the house besides it’s age. The last owner stuccoed over the wood siding (whyyy would you do that to a craftsman?), the inside has had stuff changed, etc. But because of the status of the house there are all of these extra permits and permissions we have to get from the city, which is way too cost prohibitive at the moment. 

Yesterday my friend came over and we studied for 16 hours straight. I’m tired but getting back to it today. Other than that, SSDD. 

@short+sassy that sucks about the A/C unit. Hopefully you can get it back. 

• kvrunskvruns member
    @cupcait927 yep! I file them on behalf of a lot of clients but they have to review/sign. I used to have them all done by early July but it just doesn't happen anymore and as much as I want to say "sorry Charlie" if it is late, I have to hound people bc we've had some attrition issues lately due to lack of communication (nothing related to what I do but just in general)

That's hilarious @ei34
  • levioosa said:
    Ugh, window replacements. We desperately want to replace ours because wood framed, single paned windows from 1900 are not energy efficient. Unfortunately our house is classified as “historical” just because it’s old, which is so dumb. There is nothing historical about the house besides it’s age. The last owner stuccoed over the wood siding (whyyy would you do that to a craftsman?), the inside has had stuff changed, etc. But because of the status of the house there are all of these extra permits and permissions we have to get from the city, which is way too cost prohibitive at the moment. 

Yesterday my friend came over and we studied for 16 hours straight. I’m tired but getting back to it today. Other than that, SSDD. 

@short+sassy that sucks about the A/C unit. Hopefully you can get it back. 
    There are a few areas in my city that are like that.  I know the French Quarter is, for sure.  They have to keep the wood framing for their windows.  From what I hear, that makes it insanely expensive to replace windows and it's hard to even find people who do that kind of specialized work.

My own house was built in 1911.  When I bought it, it had the old single-paned windows.  But I'm not in a historic area nor is my house on the Historical Registry or anything like that.  We did replace the windows a few years ago and found the front windows were a pulley system on the inside!  That's the kind of construction that was done in the early 1900s, so we assumed at least those windows were original to the house.

When we replaced the siding, we also discovered that the four posts on the corners of our house are Cypress logs instead of construction lumber, lmao.  Cypress is the freakin' bomb!  It has closed cells...because it lives in water...so termites don't eat it and water doesn't hurt it either.  Those cypress log posts were still in great shape, so we just left them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • YAY m2! And yay for calming your mama-heart and getting the sign that it's the right stuff.  ;)

We've been out of school since the last week of May.  It's time.  :) But we do a 'balanced' calendar.  So we'll be off 2 weeks in Oct and two weeks for spring break.  I like this calendar, but I think we could go back a week or two later and stay in school into June.  But having the longer breaks during the school year give us so many more options for vacations and/or short trips places.  DH is going camping over the first weekend and then we might meander south the second weekend of the break in October. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Soccer stuff: I was sooo worried about our calendar this year.  6let's team could be playing all over the state.  I knew he was doing 3 tournaments.  M2 and Max are playing all over central Ohio and I had no idea what their tournaments were going to look like.

Schedules have posted and between all of the kids we have 7 (3 out of town) tournaments and 25 games (not counting anything they might be asked to guest play).  We have 1, ONE POSSIBLE conflict on a tournament weekend. 

• House stuff is expensive! We just got an insurance estimate for our roof to be replaced- $28K!!! Luckily they found storm damage so we just need to pay our deductible but our homeowners insurance will increase next year for sure. We also need to have the house painted and fix some rotted wood trim. I figure we are on borrowed time with our windows. They are 20 years old, double pane with gas between panes. However, the gas isn't suppose to last forever. We have had the glass replace in a few where the seal leaked. That wasn't too bad money wise but we only replaced the panes not the frame and everything. We've never lived in a house long enough to have to do all this replacement!

Been catching up on house stuff today - dusting (where does it all come from??!) and laundry. H went to the grocery yesterday. There is always a lot to do when we have been OOT for more than a week. Tomorrow looks like yard day since the weather is suppose to be good. Of course, H's back is bothering him so I bet he tries to get out of it. Men can be such babies about illness/pain (I know that is a horribly sexist remark). He will talk about his back for weeks and how awful it is if it takes more than a day or two for it to feel better. Seriously man, take some Aleve and get on with it!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    $28K wow!! My parents finally had to self-pay for a new roof a year or two ago because every time the had it checked for storm damage theirs was never included even though all the other neighbors were.