Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Save the Dates/Divorce

This day has turned into a whirlwind. We sat down to finish addressing our save the dates when we got a phone call that my fbil and his wife are getting a divorce. He is going to come stay with us for a bit while he figures things out. I need to send out these save the dates this week, but I also don't want to hand him one a few days after all of this. His wedding wasn't even a year ago.

He knows the date we are getting married. He's the best man. Can I hold onto the save the date for a few weeks until things are less "fresh" and he figures out what he is doing? Or do I skip giving it to him? 

Re: Save the Dates/Divorce

• Options
    This day has turned into a whirlwind. We sat down to finish addressing our save the dates when we got a phone call that my fbil and his wife are getting a divorce. He is going to come stay with us for a bit while he figures things out. I need to send out these save the dates this week, but I also don't want to hand him one a few days after all of this. His wedding wasn't even a year ago.

He knows the date we are getting married. He's the best man. Can I hold onto the save the date for a few weeks until things are less "fresh" and he figures out what he is doing? Or do I skip giving it to him? 
    You don't have to give him a STD. They're not necessary. 
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2019
    Save-the-dates are totally optional anyway, so there isn't any need to give him one at this time. He already knows when your wedding is. Let him focus on coming to terms with the end of his marriage rather than making him think about yours.
  • Options
    Thanks all! I think that not giving him a save the date is the best option.