Wedding Woes

Monday just keeps happening

Ugh.  I just didn't want to get out of my bed this morning.  It was warm and I had snuggles and while I don't  hate my job or anything, it is not warm and snuggles would definitely be inappropriate.

This weekend was alright.  Saw Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark on Saturday.  It is just not good.  It's not suspenseful enough for adults who read it as a kid and it's too intense for the kid demographic.  The overarching story to tie the anthology together is not interesting.  The kids have no chemistry together.  I was skeeved out at the fact that I thought the main kids were around 13-15 and the "young romance" was with an 18+ year old (since the character is running from the draft).  There were some moments, but I was very disappointed, just as a reader of the original books and as a huge fan of Guillermo del Toro. 

We had to cancel our float trip on Sunday b/c of rain, which sucked.  So, K and I went out to a nice brunch and saw Toy Story.  They were being very sweet to me, for various reasons I don't feel like discussing, but I deserved being treated a little bit more special than usual.  :smiley: Toy Story is magnificent, but I'm still processing my emotions.  No spoilers, but it's a very fine ending to the series; it just made me sad to have such a definite goodbye to such beloved characters.  I was nearly ugly crying. 

Other than that, we binge watched the new season of Wentworth that dropped on Netflix.  Watching all the way to the season ending 2 parter -- we didn't start that b/c it was too late, but I'm sure we'll watch it tonight.

Re: Monday just keeps happening

• Had a great weekend. My mom stayed over Friday night. I made her watch Love After Lockup with me, and her reactions were priceless. 

Saturday my mom and I went shopping, then she went home and I got my nails done. H and I ordered in and stayed in bed all night.

Yesterday I cleaned and did laundry and took naps. 
  • You’re in CT, right, @banana468?  You live in a fun state TO stay in!  Have fun!
    @charlotte989875, I can’t wait to see the end result! I think it’s great he took initiative and started it. But that’s because mine would never do that so its refreshing to see anyone married to a go-getter.
    @varunaTT, I didnt put the ages thing together, and I also didnt care for the storyline to pull all the mini stories together.  And I really dont even remember the stories they used! It was ok but I agree that it really didnt appeal to any audience. 

I went to Iowa for the state fair this weekend.  It was fun. I got to meet up with some friends.  I haven’t been to the ISF for 3 years so i’m glad I went!

• We found 2 houses we really like!! They have both been on the market for almost a year so the sellers are motivated. One is new construction and one is 10 years old with one previous owner. We think the reason they have been sitting is because they are listed well above the estimated value. 

We we need to weigh the pros and cons, but I’m so happy we found something. It was getting a little
    bleak. 

I hope so and am crossing my fingers for you! But you might be surprised and I do want to warn you.  It might mean they aren't motivated at all and will only sell the property if they can get $X for it.  Which is and has been above comps.  So the property just sits there for extended period times.

Now, if it has been coming down in price over the last few months, that's a good sign.  But, if it's been at the same price for the last year.  It certainly doesn't hurt to put in a fair offer.  However, that is not a good sign.

I had something like that happen to me a few years ago.  I was really interested in a condo for a rental investment.  They were asking $48K, but the comps were $40K.  I even offered $2K above comps, because it still would have been a great money maker.  The seller's agent also agreed the comps were $40K.  And she had many times told her client that.  But their bottom line was $45K.  No deal.  Six months later, that listing was STILL there at $48K.  And sitting vacant the whole time, while the owner's paying at least HOA fees and insurance.  I had my agent reach out to theirs if they would consider my $42K offer now.  Nope.  They still insisted on $45K.  Okey-doke then.  They can keep on waiting for their mythical buyer. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm back..back in the New York groove.. (KISS song).  Home from vacation since yesterday, it was fun, the kids especially had a ball, but always nice to be back too.  H and I always joke that the first few days are a glorious change of pace, we should move here year-round, and the last couple it's "get me back to the lifestyle we're used to."  One night DS had a medical issue that wasn't quite ER level, but when I looked up urgent care centers the closest one was 30 miles away and it closed at 8pm (it was 7:45).  I just...I need 20 urgent cares within 30 miles, open until midnight  :D  

I did lurk a bit when time and WiFi permitted- @NBSquared2017 sending every good vibe on your TTC journey , @charlotte989875 sorry to hear about H's job, and 1000% yes to those who were bemoaning cooking all day in bare feet! I put that between labor&delivery without an epidural and an infected tooth that needs to be pulled!
  • ei34 said:
    I'm back..back in the New York groove.. (KISS song).  Home from vacation since yesterday, it was fun, the kids especially had a ball, but always nice to be back too.  H and I always joke that the first few days are a glorious change of pace, we should move here year-round, and the last couple it's "get me back to the lifestyle we're used to."  One night DS had a medical issue that wasn't quite ER level, but when I looked up urgent care centers the closest one was 30 miles away and it closed at 8pm (it was 7:45).  I just...I need 20 urgent cares within 30 miles, open until midnight  :D  

I did lurk a bit when time and WiFi permitted- @NBSquared2017 sending every good vibe on your TTC journey , @charlotte989875 sorry to hear about H's job, and 1000% yes to those who were bemoaning cooking all day in bare feet! I put that between labor&delivery without an epidural and an infected tooth that needs to be pulled!

That's my H and I in Lake Tahoe (LT), lol.  Even enthusiastically talked about semi-retiring there at some point.

Then went on our next trip there with thoughts of "what would it be like to live here for weeks at a time".  I was not aware that LT has a year-round population of only about 22K people.  But you can clearly see what a small town it is and how few of anything there are, when you take the tourist goggles off.  Including the lackluster restaurants with their overpriced, mediocre food.  And better hurry because most of them close by 8PM, lol.

My H would have loved all of that, but I felt suffocated at the thought.  I told him, "The good news is, if we are ever at a point where we could afford to buy a vacation home (even if we rented it out also) in Tahoe, then visiting instead 1-2x/year will be pocket change!  Let's stick to that idea."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would be peeved @charlotte989875

@short+sassy do we know the same people? FI has a friend who is trying to move to Idaho too. I don’t get the appeal. 

Good luck with the house hunt @NBSquared2017!

This weekend was good overall. Saturday I studied all day and then we met up with FSIL and her FI for dinner and a movie. For the second week in a row we didn’t make it to the movie. The start times are all either 7, which isn’t enough time for people to get off work and eat, or at 10:30, which is too late. Sunday we did attempt number two at seeing a movie, but we prioritized a nap instead before and so we missed the earlier showing time again. We should just accept we’re never going to see it. I’ve heard Scary Stories isn’t good anyways. 

I’ve been so stressed out and I’m ready for it to end. Today I have more studying and some house stuff to do. For some reason Jack is going around and opening all of the closed doors in the house. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s such a weird cat. 

• We found 2 houses we really like!! They have both been on the market for almost a year so the sellers are motivated. One is new construction and one is 10 years old with one previous owner. We think the reason they have been sitting is because they are listed well above the estimated value. 

We we need to weigh the pros and cons, but I’m so happy we found something. It was getting a little
    bleak. 

I hope so and am crossing my fingers for you! But you might be surprised and I do want to warn you.  It might mean they aren't motivated at all and will only sell the property if they can get $X for it.  Which is and has been above comps.  So the property just sits there for extended period times.

Now, if it has been coming down in price over the last few months, that's a good sign.  But, if it's been at the same price for the last year.  It certainly doesn't hurt to put in a fair offer.  However, that is not a good sign.

I had something like that happen to me a few years ago.  I was really interested in a condo for a rental investment.  They were asking $48K, but the comps were $40K.  I even offered $2K above comps, because it still would have been a great money maker.  The seller's agent also agreed the comps were $40K.  And she had many times told her client that.  But their bottom line was $45K.  No deal.  Six months later, that listing was STILL there at $48K.  And sitting vacant the whole time, while the owner's paying at least HOA fees and insurance.  I had my agent reach out to theirs if they would consider my $42K offer now.  Nope.  They still insisted on $45K.  Okey-doke then.  They can keep on waiting for their mythical buyer. 

Thank you for the perspective! The new construction home I'm less confident about negations, but the other home dropped 10k since last October so not a crazy amount of movement.
  • levioosa said:
    I would be peeved @charlotte989875

@short+sassy do we know the same people? FI has a friend who is trying to move to Idaho too. I don’t get the appeal. 

Good luck with the house hunt @NBSquared2017!

This weekend was good overall. Saturday I studied all day and then we met up with FSIL and her FI for dinner and a movie. For the second week in a row we didn’t make it to the movie. The start times are all either 7, which isn’t enough time for people to get off work and eat, or at 10:30, which is too late. Sunday we did attempt number two at seeing a movie, but we prioritized a nap instead before and so we missed the earlier showing time again. We should just accept we’re never going to see it. I’ve heard Scary Stories isn’t good anyways. 

I’ve been so stressed out and I’m ready for it to end. Today I have more studying and some house stuff to do. For some reason Jack is going around and opening all of the closed doors in the house. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s such a weird cat. 

That's exactly the problem, lol!  People are moving from HCOL areas like Seattle, Portland, and So. CA to ID.  Except that's already been going on for years so, while it is a lower COL place, it's still not cheap.  There are so many other places to go that have an even lower COL along with a better job market.

Soooo, if someone is already going to all that trouble of picking up and moving so far away, then why not make the most of their choice for where.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

bleak. 

Thank you for the perspective! The new construction home I'm less confident about negations, but the other home dropped 10k since last October so not a crazy amount of movement.

Is it new construction where the home is already built and done?  Or is it more of a new construction development that has model homes and you could still pick and choose features/items you want in your home?  For the latter, I've heard it is hard to make much headway on the sales price...though you might get something taken off.  But you can have a lot of negotiating power in getting them to include "upgrades" for no additional cost.

Like (I'm just making up numbers) the list, base price is $325K.  You put an offer in for $318K, if they include granite countertops in kitchen/baths and hardwoods on the main floor options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    I'd be pissed too @charlotte989875

good luck @NBSquared2017 I had the same thought as S+S that they are not motivated at all if it is sitting above comps and for sale for a year. A $10K drop in a year doesn't seem like much either. I hope one will budge for you guys though!

AFM, I bought a car Friday. Hadn't really planned on it happening so soon but I felt like I got a good deal on it and I figured waiting another week or two wouldn't matter. Of course I put a full tank of gas in the night before and my H did some repairs that week (plus my dealership repair) so lots of wasted $$ too.  Ugh. Got a  VW Tiguan which wasn't on my radar at all but it really is a nice car and you can get lots of bang for your buck.
    That makes sense - the realtor said that so I’m assuming it was her “selling” to us. 

I’m in South Jersey and the price people want for their homes is a little ridiculous. Granted the areas we are looking to move have great school systems and access to shopping and expressways it’s still crazy to see houses listed 20K-30K over comps. 

I just read an article today that 74 economists said we’re headed for a recession by 2021...so there’s that. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2019
    The real estate talk made me think of this house that I drive by on my way home from work. It has been for sale for over a year and I now see it is finally pending. It does look like its been on and off the market and a sale or two must have fallen through. I always wondered what was wrong with it because it is in a very desirable city & school district and although its along a well traveled road I was still surprised since stuff sells in that area pretty quick. Must have just been over priced for the fact that it needs updates and I wondered if the owners weren't willing to budge much for a while even though it's been vacant for over a year.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/13108-Harrison-Dr-Carmel,-IN,-46033_rb/73231238_zpid/

• kvruns said:
    The real estate talk made me think of this house that I drive by on my way home from work. It has been for sale for over a year and I now see it is finally pending. It does look like its been on and off the market and a sale or two must have fallen through. I always wondered what was wrong with it because it is in a very desirable city & school district and although its along a well traveled road I was still surprised since stuff sells in that area pretty quick. Must have just been over priced for the fact that it needs updates and I wondered if the owners weren't willing to budge much for a while even though it's been vacant for over a year.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/13108-Harrison-Dr-Carmel,-IN,-46033_rb/73231238_zpid/

That’s a nice home! If it were me I would probably think the bathrooms and kitchen was outdated, but it’s very fairy priced so someone could definitely do some major upgrades. 
  • Even if you don’t get either of them @NBSquared2017 it’s so nice to finally see something you would be interest in! Good luck!!

Weekend was, eventful. I ran some errands and did a seven mile run. Came home and H was ripping up all of our first floor carpets and subfloors. 

I hate the carpet and want hardwood. But we didn’t talk about doing this so I walked into a construction zone. I’m still torn between excited to have the ugly gross carpet gone and pissed that he didn’t talk to me about it and just went ahead and did it. Progress pics below. Also I’m super exhausted because went spent the weekend ripping up floors instead of napping, which is what I had planned on doing. 

Um I would absolutely lose my mind over this. It’s our house, you don’t get to unilaterally start construction and commandeer my weekend to help. 
  • kvruns said:

I noticed it sat for months at $295K and went to "pending", just a few days after lowering the price to $275K ;).  I'm also side-eying Zillow that this property is still "pending" after 4 months.  I'm sure it's either fallen out of contract or been sold by now.  Zillow isn't exactly "up to the minute" with their data.  To put it mildly, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468, now that sounds like my kind of vacation: swimming, sunning and SEAFOOD! Have a great week. @kvruns that house seems extremely reasonable for Carmel. Of course it doesn't have the open floor plan that everyone wants nowadays. I can't believe it has been on the market for over a year! We've been looking to downsize our lot size but not a whole bunch on house size. Unfortunately with our house's value we aren't goin to be able to do that and afford the house we want.  Good luck to you @NBSquared2017.

Weekend was good. My friend's band played Friday night and some us went to hear them. That was lots of fun. Saturday we had dinner at some other friend's house. Yummy - grilled tenderloin, corn on the cob, salad and asparagus. I made a limoncello cheesecake for dessert. We might have had a bit too much wine and limoncello. It was rough getting up and going to church yesterday. Just chilled yesterday doing stuff at home. Today I cleaned the floors on the main level (vacuum, swiffer and damp mop) then went to have a pedicure. My feet looked so bad. Tonight is my book club. The book was Jane Eyre. I've never read it and couldn't get through it. I did read the Spark notes so at least I can participate in any conversation. We don't usually read classics so this was a departure for us. 
  • @charlotte989875 you have more patience than me!   Luckily DH is just not the type to be that motivated to start a project like that without me but if he did there would be words and I would be negotiating big time.   

@CharmedPam yes we are in CT and live in a shoreline town.   Today's been low key and my gift to the family is clean underwear.  When Chiquito gets up we'll head out for a boat ride and then finish at the marina pool with grilled food for dinner.  (The marina also has grills for our use so while they have no food there we can bring ours and eat outside.).    I don't think we have major plans to actually go out of town this week and with the heat I am not entertaining a day in NYC although it was a thought.   Instead I think we'll be using the boat more and Chiquita really wants to go fishing.  
  • kvruns said:

That’s a nice home! If it were me I would probably think the bathrooms and kitchen was outdated, but it’s very fairy priced so someone could definitely do some major upgrades. 
    I'm in South Jersey too!  And that house would probably be $400k or somewhere in that neighborhood!

We found a house for under $200K, but it was totally original to when it was built 40 years ago.  It even still had the original stove!  Thankfully the owner had removed all of the wallpaper before we put in our offer, or we wouldn't have purchased it either!  I don't mind a little elbow grease, but every single wall had a different and ugly wallpaper!  We have since updated both full baths upstairs because the tub/shower leaked.  We have replaced all appliances but the dishwasher.  After we get our siding done, the only original thing left in the house (besides the hardwoods!) will be the kitchen.  It has an orange-y coral colored countertop and cabinets that have seen much better days.  Maybe next year, but we plan to do our own little update to that, since we won't be able to totally redo it until much later.
  •  

I'm in South Jersey too!  And that house would probably be $400k or somewhere in that neighborhood!

We found a house for under $200K, but it was totally original to when it was built 40 years ago.  It even still had the original stove!  Thankfully the owner had removed all of the wallpaper before we put in our offer, or we wouldn't have purchased it either!  I don't mind a little elbow grease, but every single wall had a different and ugly wallpaper!  We have since updated both full baths upstairs because the tub/shower leaked.  We have replaced all appliances but the dishwasher.  After we get our siding done, the only original thing left in the house (besides the hardwoods!) will be the kitchen.  It has an orange-y coral colored countertop and cabinets that have seen much better days.  Maybe next year, but we plan to do our own little update to that, since we won't be able to totally redo it until much later.

@OliveOilsMom, sounds like you all got a great deal!

The first personal duplex I was under contract for (didn't end up buying) had this adorable "retro" bathroom upstairs.  I guessed it was from the 50's, but my H said it was probably the 60s.

It had tiled walls in a light, mauve pink color with mint green trim tiles.  The bathtub was the same color as the light, mauve pink tiles.  I joked to my H that it was so old, it was "in" again!  It would actually be a stretch to say that, lol.  But I liked it!  I wouldn't have done a thing to change it.

Now the kitchen downstairs (shudder).  That would be a different story and it desperately needed a makeover.  The cabinets were not in good shape and painted this ugly, dull Army green color.  Both my H and I guessed the 70s for that room, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:

Hey neighbor!

We have noticed that most of the homes have a different color in every room. Don’t get me wrong, I love a pop of color,  but it’s wild to see every room a different color. 

I guess I’m a bit more conservative
  • Even if you don’t get either of them @NBSquared2017 it’s so nice to finally see something you would be interest in! Good luck!!

Weekend was, eventful. I ran some errands and did a seven mile run. Came home and H was ripping up all of our first floor carpets and subfloors. 

I hate the carpet and want hardwood. But we didn’t talk about doing this so I walked into a construction zone. I’m still torn between excited to have the ugly gross carpet gone and pissed that he didn’t talk to me about it and just went ahead and did it. Progress pics below. Also I’m super exhausted because went spent the weekend ripping up floors instead of napping, which is what I had planned on doing. 

Um I would absolutely lose my mind over this. It’s our house, you don’t get to unilaterally start construction and commandeer my weekend to help. 
    Yeah I mean I’d be a lot more angry if I didn’t really want the floors done. The carpet was terrible, and even though we had it cleaned, once we pulled up a section we/I couldn’t put it back down. I’d be pissed if he expected me to help, he doesn’t and will do the entire thing himself if I don’t want to. 

banana468 said:
    @charlotte989875 you have more patience than me!   Luckily DH is just not the type to be that motivated to start a project like that without me but if he did there would be words and I would be negotiating big time.   

My H is highly motivated, and gets bored easily, so this is entirely something that is on brand for him. I’m not even all that surprised, more like resigned to the random projects. 

If my living room room still looks like this next weekend then it will be an entirely different story.  
  • Charlotte - Loud sounds would have been coming out of my mouth if I came home to that without prior knowledge!  It will be beautiful in the end!

Our weekend was pretty good, ended with a family fight with my ILs, so there's that too.  Friday night we went to Lowes and we picked up the paint color for the bathroom.  Vegas Green!  Saturday, we went out to the Amish mart for breakfast and ran a few errands.  H finished up his work in the bathroom and we went to Church.

Sunday, I started my work in the bathroom and painted the ceiling and molding.  After DDs nap, we headed over to BIL/SILs house for dinner including MIL/her BF and MILs friend couple.  Somehow in all of the stories being told, the almost 10 year old story of when MIL threw BIL out of the house on Christmas Eve (it was very necessary and deserved) comes up, by MIL.  This story is usually avoided at all costs, due to the events that occurred.  Well that heated up my usually cool headed H and that was the end of our nice evening.  We packed up to leave quickly, with MIL telling us to stay and her upset.  Not sure what will happen now.  But I will wait to see what MIL tells H, who will tell me.

I was also able to get in 7 hours of OT this weekend, so that will pay for our new vanity and faucet for the bathroom!  This morning I put on the 2nd coat of ceiling paint in the bathroom, so next step is taping the ceiling and paint the walls!
    This is what I keep telling myself!!
  • S+S I think it recently went pending based on the listing on a local real estate site. I noticed the for sale sign still out today. I agree though I don’t believe anything on Zillow 
  • My work computer was an asshole today.  Plus, I had this client crawling up my ass.  It was definitely a Monday.  Blerg. 

DH is rocking my cold.  I'm still not in the clear with regard to congestion.  We're the blah twins.  

The weekend was super low-key since DH and DefConn were gone and I had to work Saturday.  DH and I were both bummed to be apart again.  

I did watch ALL of Mindhunter season 2.  If anyone else watches, I'll be happy to discuss.  I loved it, but it didn't make for great sleep after bingeing it.  LOL