Wedding Woes

Friday!!!

One week into all day school and I'm wondering if I'm going to be bored. I'm only 20-30 hrs and it was nice to sit on my butt for one afternoon, but I'm worried it's going to get old quickly.  I love how flexible my work is though and I know I'll never find something similar so.... I'm taking this year ad a "gap year" and I'll reconsider life next year.  There is always subbing for lunch duty or recess.

Last night was curriculum night at school.  I only had my 1st grader this week.  Actual questions from the parents:

- (specials are PE, art, etc. it rotates daily on a letter system) "I have a hard time remembering to send Suzy with sneakers on PE day. Can you send us an email to remind us? Or can we just leave a pair of shoes here?" NO the teacher is there to TEACH, not remind you to PARENT your child. The classroom is not a storage bin.  It cannot hold 22 pairs of shoes.

- "If we might have accidently booked a vacation to the happiest place on earth and we'll miss a week of school, do we just miss that week's content? Or can you make a packet up for us?" One, the school calendar has been posted for a year.  This was no accident.  Two, the teacher should not have to work harder because you want a VACATION.  Three, are you really going to take homework to Disney? No, you are asking the teacher to do extra work that you will never touch. I wish the teacher could have just said yep, she will miss out.  Not because of me, but because of your decisions.

- "What is the protocol for active shooters" I mean, I know we all care and talk about it, but that's just a tough question on the fly in front of all those parents.

- The teacher was also adamant that homework take no more than 30 minutes a night.  She said "I care more about quality time as a family and good conversation. The best thing you can do is read together and play and have family time." Then she jokingly said she'd give more homework if we wanted.  One parent raised there hand and said she would like more.

All these questions and I was just happy that we were 7 days in and I didn't have a note home yet.  Last year he cut his shorts on day 3.

Re: Friday!!!

• We went to Disney once when I was a kid - I was 10 or 11? I got to miss a week of school. It was totally unlike my parents to do that (we were never even allowed to stay home sick unless we were basically dying). But we did ask for assignments ahead of time, and we had to do them the weekend before we left, and the weekend before we went back to school. 

Anyway. Happy Friday. I'm leaving work early for an off-site meeting (bowling in Manhattan). That will be over by 2, so I'll get to go home early. 

Tomorrow we're either go sailing, or camping. Have not decided yet. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I totally get the going to Disney when school is in session to avoid crowds, pricier flights, etc. but agree that it shouln't = more work for the teacher.  The active shooter question, sadly, is fair.  Sucks that it's a legitimate concern, I'm a bit surprised that the protocol wasn't in the principal's newsletter but it's a fair question.  My kids have PE 3x a week and recess each day it's not pouring/at least 30 degrees so footwear rule is sneakers every day.  I feel your annoyance though- I always get peeved by at least one parent at those meetings.  Usually the one texting while ABC was discussed, who then asks a question about ABC 15 minutes later :D

Enjoy the bowling and early release @climbingwife !
    This is the last weekend at our zoo for this early morning members only Walk with the Dinosaurs, so I think we'll go one last time.  Maybe some ocean or pool time too...nothing really planned which is the best.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @CharmedPam- we had a really great time at animal kingdom. 

And this family (and many others) do this every year for Disney. 
  • Yay for Missy E music!!  :D  I've also listened to all of Taylor Swift's new album.  

We have a popcorn shift tomorrow morning for scouts.  I think DH is going to take DefConn.  I'm going to try and get grocery shopping done early. 

I'm not sure on the rest of the weekend.  We don't have plans and that's OK. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Yay for Missy E music!!  :D  I've also listened to all of Taylor Swift's new album.  

We have a popcorn shift tomorrow morning for scouts.  I think DH is going to take DefConn.  I'm going to try and get grocery shopping done early. 

I'm not sure on the rest of the weekend.  We don't have plans and that's OK. 
    I heard a snippet of Lover on the news today.  Normally I’m not a TS fan... but this song didn’t make me want to jump off of a cliff. 

• It's interesting how different schools work.
    Shoes - most kids here have an indoor pair at school. They have cubbies or specific bins to keep things they're to keep at school.

Trips - Idk if it's all schools, but apparently many schools {elementary typically} are starting to do a binder type which has a syllabus of what they're learning and pregiven work sheets. Schools are realizing that kids have after school activities, and as long as the required work is done by x-day {my coworker's kids had until the Monday typically} then it didn't matter when it was done.
    Most teachers here actually do give out paperwork if you know you're missing school for a certain amount of time. It's not up to them to ensure it's done, but at least the parent/kid has them and the intent is there.
    The binder also adjusts for kids who are slower and need more time and other kids who want to work ahead.
  • TSwift - I like "Calm Down" so far. Haven't heard the rest yet, but I hear it's pretty different.
    She's also rerecording all her songs since she can't get the masters. I know a lot of celebs were suggesting that on Twitter when the the drama started.

I think we've hit a sleep regression as well as teeth.
    Last night she went to bed at 8pm - like normal - but woke up at 9pm and wouldn't go back down until midnight. Then up at 2am thirsty, but went back quick. Then 4am and wouldn't go back down for 20mins.
    I tried to rock her but she wouldn't have it. I think we may have to give up the rocker, because it's just not beneficial anymore to us.

I'm tired a.f.

M and I keep getting into it, and he's just getting on my nerves. I think that's why she woke up at 9pm, hearing us arguing. We weren't loud, but our main floor is pretty open and her bedroom is above the couch.

This weekend we're planning to spend time together. 3 of us are going to the lake, and hopefully BabyKitten sleeps well.
    We're also going to visit M's nanny on likely Saturday.

Tonight I'm hoping to get some cleaning done. I have a few things I wanna clean - closet, bathroom, linen closet, makeup area - and I may do the makeup area tonight. I'm really just going thru my lip sticks and glosses at first to see what's still good, and what looks like it's going bad. I saw a lipstick gone bad and it makes me paranoid. I haven't touched a lot for awhile :\ It's coming to fall, so I will be soon.
  • @VarunaTT How's the Missy album so far??
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2019
    @VarunaTT How's the Missy album so far??
    So, I"m a little mad b/c it's just an EP of 5 songs and 2 of them are the same, just different versions, so totally stropping about that.

Her voice has changed a little bit.  It seems huskier and a bit lower, but she still has her amazing flow and she even goes a bit into some speed rap, which is a nice change from the regular smoothness she has.  Lyrics are good, as always.  I like "Cool Off" better than the single that was picked, "Throw It Back," but I get why they did that one.  "Why I Still Love You," is also really good and sounds like an old school R&B jam (especially the acapella version, this is the song with 2 versions), both in her voice and the musicality of the song.  As always, she hits a good balance of her voice and using Auto-tune for some fun layers.
  • Looks like we're going to have some great weather this weekend. Lower temps and lower humidity. Unfortunately B has a pool party to go to tomorrow so not the most ideal weather. I feel like I'm going to have to bring a giant IKEA bag to hold his swim stuff + normal diaper bag stuff + swim stuff/change of clothes for me too. 

Not sure what the rest of the weekend will hold. He's going to miss nap time bc of the party so while he might fall asleep in the car on the way home I have a feeling it will be an afternoon full of TV if he doesn't nap since he'll be tired and grumpy. Why do people schedule toddler birthday parties at nap time? We all go to the same daycare so the kids are on the same schedule and this is the 2nd party that was right at naptime. 
  • Sorry you and H are having a difficult time @MissKittyDanger.  I think a weekend on the lake is exactly what you need!

growing up, my Dad traveled a lot for work.  It wasn’t unheard of for him to bring us along either.  You can learn a lot through travel.  Just saying!

• Charmed - I would do Epcot, if you had one day and are not a SW or HP fan.  Epcot is more adult oriented!  You can eat and drink around the world!

Vacation for us was always the last 2 weeks in August at my grandparents (now parents) shore house.  We never took off from school for fun.  Even the day after our 8th grade school trip to DC, when you get home late.  My mom sent us all in!  There would only be about 4-5 other students from your class there.  I played secretary for the day, since ours was out.  Other students helped in PE or other classrooms.

I'm giving blood again today and hoping I can just go home afterwards.  I purposely scheduled a 3:45 appointment for that reason!  We then head down the shore for the weekend.  Saturday is my BFFs crab fest family reunion.  There is usually around 60-80 people there.  Her mom was one of 12!  Not sure what we will do on Sunday.  But the heat and humidity has broken for us, so I'm so excited for the weekend!
  • Charmed - I would do Epcot, if you had one day and are not a SW or HP fan.  Epcot is more adult oriented!  You can eat and drink around the world!

Vacation for us was always the last 2 weeks in August at my grandparents (now parents) shore house.  We never took off from school for fun.  Even the day after our 8th grade school trip to DC, when you get home late.  My mom sent us all in!  There would only be about 4-5 other students from your class there.  I played secretary for the day, since ours was out.  Other students helped in PE or other classrooms.

I'm giving blood again today and hoping I can just go home afterwards.  I purposely scheduled a 3:45 appointment for that reason!  We then head down the shore for the weekend.  Saturday is my BFFs crab fest family reunion.  There is usually around 60-80 people there.  Her mom was one of 12!  Not sure what we will do on Sunday.  But the heat and humidity has broken for us, so I'm so excited for the weekend!
    See the hotel we’re staying at has a shuttle to sea world, universal and epcot. Its been a toss up for epcot, animal kingdom (avatar ride), or universal (they have the Simpsons town right?) but epcot might just win for the shuttle alone.  Lol

Unless someone recommends maybe a non disney day out in Orlando? We’re up for anything. 

See the hotel we’re staying at has a shuttle to sea world, universal and epcot. Its been a toss up for epcot, animal kingdom (avatar ride), or universal (they have the Simpsons town right?) but epcot might just win for the shuttle alone.  Lol

Unless someone recommends maybe a non disney day out in Orlando? We’re up for anything. 
    Unless you’ve got a fast pass for avatar don’t even try. It’s great but the wait is just so long. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kvruns said:
     Why do people schedule toddler birthday parties at nap time? We all go to the same daycare so the kids are on the same schedule and this is the 2nd party that was right at naptime. 
    Preach.  Mine don't nap anymore but even now my favorite party slots are 10-12 and 4-6.  Why is 1-3 even an option? 

@CharmedPam I ditto Epcot...I mean I haven't been to Disney since 1998 lol but I've seen plenty of friends' social media disney pics and Epcot looks fun

• @CharmedPam That's what he thinks. It's only a day trip, but still .... tbh I think it's because we're both tired.
    I vote against Epcot. I really wasn't interested in it when I went years ago, and it made my allergies go insane.
    Magic Kingdom was my fave!

@kvruns Even though mine doesn't nap at same schedule at home vs daycare I still wouldn't schedule it during daycare nap time. People are stupid.
  • ei34 said:
    kvruns said:
     Why do people schedule toddler birthday parties at nap time? We all go to the same daycare so the kids are on the same schedule and this is the 2nd party that was right at naptime. 
    Preach.  Mine don't nap anymore but even now my favorite party slots are 10-12 and 4-6.  Why is 1-3 even an option? 

Yes those would be my preferred slots too! Heck even 3-5 would be OK and you could get away with not serving real food 
  • We just landed in Michigan. I just read the invitation and the ceremony is in a barn. I didn’t bring appropriate footwear. It’s totally my fault and I’m kicking myself right now. Also - didn’t know the barn trend was still going strong. 

Happy Friday! 
    Lol!  Time to go out and grab some shoes?  I forgot a smaller purse on the wedding I went to last year and wasn't going to lug my big one around.  I literally ran into walmart grabbed a small cross over for $10 on clearance and used that.

It’s my favorite “going out but not lugging my handbag” that I own!

thanks for all the recs on Disney.  We’ll probably be so broke we’ll end up walking around Orlando lol.  Just happy to not be in the cold weather! 

• Charmed - Check out Groupon for Orlando.  They may have some other interesting things to do around town.  Our first trip to Disney, H & I went on an air boat ride to look for gators!  We had to drive about 30 minutes to the boat dock, but sometimes, tour companies will drive you there and back.  And while that didn't take up a full day.  It was something fun and different.

Ditto Starmoon on the Avatar ride.  We have not gone to Animal Kingdom at all yet, but I have read frequently from various sources how hard it is to even get FOP fastpasses.  Unless you want to rope drop FOP, I would skip it.  I would also skip Hollywood Studios because that is where the new Star Wars land opened.
  • kvruns said:
    Looks like we're going to have some great weather this weekend. Lower temps and lower humidity. Unfortunately B has a pool party to go to tomorrow so not the most ideal weather. I feel like I'm going to have to bring a giant IKEA bag to hold his swim stuff + normal diaper bag stuff + swim stuff/change of clothes for me too. 

Not sure what the rest of the weekend will hold. He's going to miss nap time bc of the party so while he might fall asleep in the car on the way home I have a feeling it will be an afternoon full of TV if he doesn't nap since he'll be tired and grumpy. Why do people schedule toddler birthday parties at nap time? We all go to the same daycare so the kids are on the same schedule and this is the 2nd party that was right at naptime. 
    I agree that scheduling birthday parties during nap time is ridiculous, but then I also don't get having huge parties for toddlers - JMO but I'm old and old-school. Hope you guys have fun even though it won't be blazing hot. H has been taking advantage of this great weather to get some much needed outdoor work done.
  • @ilovebeachmusic I agree, I won't be having a party for B any time soon. Although he's a Thanksgiving baby so most years it would be hard anyway with it being a holiday weekend. The party was nice, actually pretty low key mostly just swimming. The house was right on Geist so the pool and backyard overlooked Cocktail Cove so it was fun to see all the boats and stuff. The pool was heated so that was nice.
  • kvruns said:
    @ilovebeachmusic I agree, I won't be having a party for B any time soon. Although he's a Thanksgiving baby so most years it would be hard anyway with it being a holiday weekend. The party was nice, actually pretty low key mostly just swimming. The house was right on Geist so the pool and backyard overlooked Cocktail Cove so it was fun to see all the boats and stuff. The pool was heated so that was nice.

I have a Thanksgiving baby too. We usually had his parties on one of the weekends before or after the holiday weekend. DD is a December baby so that was always interesting!
  • kvruns said:
    @ilovebeachmusic I agree, I won't be having a party for B any time soon. Although he's a Thanksgiving baby so most years it would be hard anyway with it being a holiday weekend. The party was nice, actually pretty low key mostly just swimming. The house was right on Geist so the pool and backyard overlooked Cocktail Cove so it was fun to see all the boats and stuff. The pool was heated so that was nice.

I have a Thanksgiving baby too. We usually had his parties on one of the weekends before or after the holiday weekend. DD is a December baby so that was always interesting!
    I was born the week of Thanksgiving and as a kid, it was kind of the worst but also kind of the best. It was always super hard to have birthday parties, but I always got presents and cake on Thanksgiving from my grandparents (they would host T-day) and almost always had off from school. When I turned 30, my birthday fell on Thanksgiving so I used it as an excuse to go to Florida with H so I wouldn't have to spend the day schlepping around to various family members' houses.