Wedding Etiquette Forum

Ideas on wording Save the date/Invites????

So me and my SO are getting married April 2020 before our two favorite baseball teams go head to head (we are both huge fans) in a park right by the field. We aren't having anything fancy. Like we just want to celebrate our love for each other and for the teams. No white dress, etc. He will be wearing nice pants and a tshirt with his team's jersey and I will wear a casual dress in my team's color with my favorite jersey tied around the waist.   

We want our friends and family to come dressed in attire for either of the teams (both our families are big into the teams as well).

How would we word this at least if anything for the save the date? 

Please yall don't talk bad about how WE want to celebrate! Thanks in advance!

Re: Ideas on wording Save the date/Invites????

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    So me and my SO are getting married April 2020 before our two favorite baseball teams go head to head (we are both huge fans) in a park right by the field. We aren't having anything fancy. Like we just want to celebrate our love for each other and for the teams. No white dress, etc. He will be wearing nice pants and a tshirt with his team's jersey and I will wear a casual dress in my team's color with my favorite jersey tied around the waist.   

We want our friends and family to come dressed in attire for either of the teams (both our families are big into the teams as well).

Huge baseball fan here...that's awesome!  STD really just shares the date and location, and I usually also see the wedding website if there's one.  You could have a line "we'll be wearing our Mets and Red Sox jersey's, feel free to join us!" under the guest info section of your site.  That way guests know about it but don't feel like they have to participate.
  • You can't tell guests what to wear. You can mention that you'll be wearing gear, but it's not ok to tell people they have to do the same.

For game weddings, I love ticket and program style STDs. 
  • I think the ticket or program style STDs are a great idea. Just make sure when you actually send invitations it is clear that is a wedding. Don't use verbage about being there as you share your love for one another. That isn't a clear indication of the event being a wedding. Also agree with PPs, you can't tell your guests what to wear but can mention the location and what you are wearing under the guest info section.
  • I don’t think you need/should put dress code info on the STD, just the date/location/time or website if you have one. 

As people ask about the wedding I’d mention the casual feel and what you’re planning to wear. If you do a website you can post it there. Don’t ask people to wear team gear or colors but let them know they’re welcome to if they want. 

Curious, will you all be going to the game after the reception?
  • ei34 said:

Huge baseball fan here...that's awesome!  STD really just shares the date and location, and I usually also see the wedding website if there's one.  You could have a line "we'll be wearing our Mets and Red Sox jersey's, feel free to join us!" under the guest info section of your site.  That way guests know about it but don't feel like they have to participate.
    Yes to this. You can’t tell people what to wear, but that’s an acceptable way to make it known that baseball attire is welcome. I know plenty of people who love baseball and own baseball jerseys. I am not one of them. I would be annoyed if someone told me to wear a baseball outfit for a reception and I would not spend the money to purchase one.  My wardrobe also isn’t full of “team color” type clothing and I wouldn’t be spending money on purchasing that either. Mention it like above and then let it go. Let people wear what they want. 

• I once received an invitation to a casual wedding that said "Overalls encouraged." Lots of guests did wear them, but like @levioosa above, I did not want to go out and buy something I would not normally wear. People need to be comfortable attending in something they already own.

So, OP, I would just mention on your site that it's a baseball-themed wedding. People can take it from there. 
  • ei34 said:
    100% agree with this wording. 

@ei34, I'm also a huge baseball fan, but I root for that other team from New York!  ;)
  • None of this info goes on the STD, as others pointed out. Just date, time, location. 

Also, please don't tell people what to wear. You can share that baseball jerseys are welcome, but don't assign a dress code to people. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @downtondiva fair!  They give you a lot more to cheer for :D
  • Just something to consider - parking near the field and the park which you're going to have your ceremony (this often requires a TON of walking so anyone with mobility issues should be considered in the plan).  Lots of people get uptight if they're required to pay for parking, let alone if you're expecting them to shell out for tickets to the game which would be poor hosting (inviting people to your ceremony without as much even "sheet cake & punch" that's going to get a bit of a side-eye!).  You could check with the team for a group rate for tickets for that particular game along with vouchers for a drink and bite to eat (We do this for a MLB game for my family, it's not overly expensive especially when considering we're all used to individual seats...)..  If you go that route, I'd say go ahead with sending out your invitations early enough that your RSVP includes that and mention that so group tickets to the game may be purchased.  STD cards should ONLY go out to VIP's (the people you cannot imagine NOT having there if stuff hit the fan and you couldn't afford to even get married in the park!)..