Destination Weddings Discussions

Who stays with you in the wedding weekend rental house?

Hello! My fiancee and I are getting married in Seaside, Florida next year. There are very few hotels in the area, so we are advising everyone to rent houses instead. House sizes range from sleeping 4-20 all within walking distance of the beach AND our venue! But my question is, where do the Bride and Groom stay? Do we rent a 14 person house with half the bridesmaids and their dates? Do we rent an 8 person house and stay with our parents and siblings? Do we stay separately and rent one house for bridesmaids and one house for groomsmen, and my fiancee and I stay in those? 

Just wondering what the etiquette is around who stays in what rental house, and if anyone has had this experience before - and what they did. Any insight is appreciated!! :) thanks!

Re: Who stays with you in the wedding weekend rental house?

• I would want to be alone with my new H and would book separate accommodations.  Everyone else can figure it out other their own. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hello! My fiancee and I are getting married in Seaside, Florida next year. There are very few hotels in the area, so we are advising everyone to rent houses instead. House sizes range from sleeping 4-20 all within walking distance of the beach AND our venue! But my question is, where do the Bride and Groom stay? Do we rent a 14 person house with half the bridesmaids and their dates? Do we rent an 8 person house and stay with our parents and siblings? Do we stay separately and rent one house for bridesmaids and one house for groomsmen, and my fiancee and I stay in those? 

Just wondering what the etiquette is around who stays in what rental house, and if anyone has had this experience before - and what they did. Any insight is appreciated!! :) thanks!

The only real etiquette as far as where guests stay when it's a DW for everyone is that it's nice to select a location that has lodging in a variety of price points.  Ditto PP I'd personally want to stay somewhere with just my FI/new spouse.  The rest of the guests can figure out their own scenarios- some may want to go big and rent a house with 20 other people, others will prefer a hotel room or AirBnB with just their immediate family.
  • For one, no one wants to be invited to stay in a house without their SO. So definitely do not do that.

For another, it's best not to force it. Don't say "X group is staying here," even if you're paying - they need options, they need to be able to agree to whatever price point is comfortable for them, they need to be free to prefer an expensive hotel to a cheap beach house. You can recommend house rentals to your guest list in general, and if people want to stay with others, they can coordinate that.

I also agree with PPs that DH and I had zero desire to stay with other folks, particularly after the wedding.
  • Let the adults adult. Provide ideas for places to stay,  but let each party decide where. You book what you want. Do not ask your bridal party to stay with you. When it comes to sleep, people want to do their own thing.
  • There's no etiquette around who stays where, except that you can't dictate where anyone stays.

My sister had a DW in a mountain town with lots of house rentals, but very few hotel options. Most people opted to rent houses in groups, but a few still preferred the hotel. She rented a house with our parents, her and groom, and me and my husband. If it were me, I would have preferred to stay alone with my DH. 
  • Agree with others; there’s no hard etiquette here. 

Hs cousin had a DW in the Outer Banks last year ( mainly houses but some hotels). Her parents had a house, his family had a house, and the B&G had their own smaller house. I think the MOH & her family stayed with the B&G. 

Basically, if you want to offer to certain people to stay with you then do that, but if you don’t you're free to stay how and where you like.