Wedding Woes

Wednesday

edited September 2019 in Wedding Woes
All the good thoughts to our friends in New York, DC, & anyone else having a tough time today.

ETA: It’s mind-boggling that it’s been almost 20 years. That seems unreal. 

Re: Wednesday

• I had to log off FB - the 9/11 stuff is too overwhelming today. 

I already have vacation brain - we leave next Friday. I'm already making mental lists of what I need to get done and what I'm packing. 

H is sailing tonight so I'll thankfully have the house to myself. We fought (yet again) about the house temperature last night and he slept downstairs. And I'm still mad. 
  • Where are you going @climbingwife

H also slept downstairs last night; it irritates me but also if he’s awake he’ll wake me up and I’m already a terrible sleeper. 

I already have vacation brain - we leave next Friday. I'm already making mental lists of what I need to get done and what I'm packing. 

H is sailing tonight so I'll thankfully have the house to myself. We fought (yet again) about the house temperature last night and he slept downstairs. And I'm still mad. 
    This is me and my H.  We agree on the firmness of what a mattress should be (and it’s NOT firm!) but he would like central air at 67 or a fan going if we can’t.  I have the house at 72 and that can be cold sometimes.

ooooh, my friend and I loved Prague so much we’re planning to go back!  

My sister bought me tickets to go back to Winnipeg over Thanksgiving.  Prices are REALLY good right now, but despite that, I can’t purchase my own for an April flight I’m eyeing and this penny pinching is making me mad!

• Your trip sounds amazing @climbingwife.

9/11 always takes me back to being 19 and my BFF (now SIL) calling me on our house phone freaking out (which is not her nature, at all) telling me to turn on the TV because there were planes flying into buildings.  Typing that makes my chest squeeze.  I texted my friend who was across the street from the Pentagon and watched the plane hit it on 9/11 to check in on her. 

Work opened up a shit-ton of OT, so that's my life from now until Saturday.  I told DH I would be dead come Sunday morning.  

DH finished our barn loft last night. Our next steps are cleaning out the garage and then closets.  Will it make better with clutter?  Probably not.  ;) 
  • Hugs today for everyone having a tough time today. It’s crazy to me how much time has passed and how kids today have no idea how life has changed. 

Prague is one of my favorite places @climbingwife

Sometimes FI and I sleep in separate rooms because of our schedules and also because I am a terrible sleeper. I went to bed at 11 pm last night and woke up at 2 am this morning and then couldn’t go back to sleep until 4:30. And now it’s 7 and I’m up again. I sleep so much better when we’re in separate rooms. 

Yesterday ended up being more fun than I anticipated, although the booze probably helped. We were also able to go to the Ballast Point tasting room in Downtown Disney, and they always have great food. I’m a little annoyed that California Adventure is becoming all Marvel stuff but I guess that’s their market now. I miss the Twilight Tower of Terror but the new version was okay. Overall a good time. 

• I was in graduate school studying international affairs and relations with a defense and strategic studies track, and lots of friends on DC and NYC on internships.  It was an intense day.

I'm in a mood.  I was thinking about things this morning and I think that really my problem is not my job, b/c I really like my job.  I HATE my office.  I had to talk myself in this morning and really, it wasn't about I don't want to work.  If I'd been working from home, I would've been fine.  Yesterday was so loud, my ears felt like they were ringing all day and still felt like they were ringing for an hour afterwards at home.  Today, I have headphones in and music I love in my ears and it is helping me.  I have always had a very utilitarian outlook re: my office space, but I think I need to bring some stuff in just to make it feel more comfortable and home-y.  Ideas welcome with one caveat: I kill plants, so no plants.  :smile:

So, I've had my tickets for Hustler for a hot minute, b/c of a special deal the movie theatre was giving me.  But this morning, I heard they're talking Oscar nomination for JLo?  So now I'm really curious, b/c I basically just thought it was going to be female empowerment action fun.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I was in graduate school studying international affairs and relations with a defense and strategic studies track, and lots of friends on DC and NYC on internships.  It was an intense day.

I'm in a mood.  I was thinking about things this morning and I think that really my problem is not my job, b/c I really like my job.  I HATE my office.  I had to talk myself in this morning and really, it wasn't about I don't want to work.  If I'd been working from home, I would've been fine.  Yesterday was so loud, my ears felt like they were ringing all day and still felt like they were ringing for an hour afterwards at home.  Today, I have headphones in and music I love in my ears and it is helping me.  I have always had a very utilitarian outlook re: my office space, but I think I need to bring some stuff in just to make it feel more comfortable and home-y.  Ideas welcome with one caveat: I kill plants, so no plants.  :smile:

So, I've had my tickets for Hustler for a hot minute, b/c of a special deal the movie theatre was giving me.  But this morning, I heard they're talking Oscar nomination for JLo?  So now I'm really curious, b/c I basically just thought it was going to be female empowerment action fun.
    Fake plants work just as well and they’re notoriously hard to kill. 

• My DH will often fall asleep on the couch and I will leave him there (or gently wake him enough to tell him I am going to bed, sometimes he gets up, sometimes not). King bed to myself is the best, plus no snoring, lol.

Ssdd here. 🤷

Back in my single days, I broke things off with a guy I liked and had dated a few times over temperature, lol.

He had recently moved to NOLA from Minnesota and would keep the temperature in his apartment at 67 degrees.  I would literally be shivering or have to keep my jacket on when I was over there.  He would begrudgingly push it up to 69 when I was there.  Which was still too cold for me.  I decided this was a big enough problem that we could not have any future together, lol.  Definitely a dealbreaker!  

Enjoy your upcoming vacation.  It sounds amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Alas, I could not take today off as I'd been hoping to :(.  Oh well.  I did have a good talk with the big boss, though.  Some of the people who work at our office are employees of our client.  I've been doing a lot of priority work for Client Emp. A.  But another colleague, Client Emp. B, has been asking for a lot from me lately.  And a request that came in yesterday really has almost nothing to do with my job.

I went to the big boss, not so much to complain, but to get guidance on where/how to answer this particular question.  Apparently, this opened up a small can of worms.  He's been copied on all the e-mails with the many requests to me from Client Emp. B also.  Apparently, he had already been a bit annoyed at how much this guy has been asking from me.

I remarked that I usually don't mind and laughed that "I want to keep the client happy!  Whether that's Client Emp. A or Client Emp. B.  But what he's looking for is just really not something I know much about or have access to."  Big Boss is a hard person to please, so compliments from him are extra meaningful to me.  In response to that, he told me, "And they are!  The client is really happy with your work and I appreciate how much you've been going above and beyond."

It was at least nice to have some encouragement.  As I keep on trudging along.  Nothing much going on today.  Continuing to trudge along, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was a college undergrad.  Woke up early to get my tire patched and the DJs on the radio, as I laid in bed, said a plane had struck the first tower.  I still went to the tire place and just watched on their TV all of the news footage.  My parents worked overnights at the time, so when I called them early afternoon - they still didn't know.  I had to tell them, my mom didn't believe me and I just said turn on the TV - it doesn't matter what channel you are on.  

I was at my Washington DC internship the next year.  The lawyer I worked for told me what it was like in DC the year before and the changes that came after it for them.  She also told me to take the day off, so many people were worried about an anniversary attack.

Last night was good.  We had dinner out and then went on a Target run.  After DD was in bed, H and I moved everything off the walls of the perimeter of the house.  It was advised, in case all of the banging on the sides of the house, made something fall.  The guys aren't supposed to start until tomorrow now, but at least we are ready inside the house.  All of the siding and other pieces were delivered yesterday, so let's do this!
  • @climbingwife your trip sounds lovely!

@CharmedPam I'm glad you're going over Canadian Thanksgiving vs American Thanksgiving. Better chance of decent weather. Winnipeg is nicknamed "Winter-peg" for a reason ;)

When it happened, I was 14yrs old.
    We heard briefly on the radio in the afternoon, but our teacher shut it off when she realized they were getting into it. {our school was one of the few that had a media lock down that day}
    We still didn't know much, and when I got home my mum was home and watching the news. I could see her glued to the tv {rare for her} and I asked what was going on.
    "You don't know?"
    "....know what?"
    "Something happened in New York and Washington. It's rough. Come see, but this isn't live. It happened this morning. If you don't want to watch, that's fine."

Thinking back afterwards, my mum probably handled that as best as she could. We didn't know if we knew anyone there. We didn't know if anyone we knew had people there.
    We knew nothing.

18yrs later, it still seems crazy it happened.

@CharmedPam I'm glad you're going over Canadian Thanksgiving vs American Thanksgiving. Better chance of decent weather. Winnipeg is nicknamed "Winter-peg" for a reason ;)

We heard briefly on the radio in the afternoon, but our teacher shut it off when she realized they were getting into it. {our school was one of the few that had a media lock down that day}
    We still didn't know much, and when I got home my mum was home and watching the news. I could see her glued to the tv {rare for her} and I asked what was going on.
    "You don't know?"
    "....know what?"
    "Something happened in New York and Washington. It's rough. Come see, but this isn't live. It happened this morning. If you don't want to watch, that's fine."

Thinking back afterwards, my mum probably handled that as best as she could. We didn't know if we knew anyone there. We didn't know if anyone we knew had people there.
    We knew nothing.

Oh no, it’s the American one.  Lol.  End of November.  I know what I’m up against but I have NO more days off work.  Using them up for fun stuff.  Not to say Winter-peg isn’t fun... but let’s be real. It’s not.

"You don't know?"
    "....know what?"

We knew nothing.

Oh no, it’s the American one.  Lol.  End of November.  I know what I’m up against but I have NO more days off work.  Using them up for fun stuff.  Not to say Winter-peg isn’t fun... but let’s be real. It’s not.
    FUUUCKKKK fx that weather holds up for you :\
  • I was a college undergrad.  Woke up early to get my tire patched and the DJs on the radio, as I laid in bed, said a plane had struck the first tower.  I still went to the tire place and just watched on their TV all of the news footage.  My parents worked overnights at the time, so when I called them early afternoon - they still didn't know.  I had to tell them, my mom didn't believe me and I just said turn on the TV - it doesn't matter what channel you are on.  

I was at my Washington DC internship the next year.  The lawyer I worked for told me what it was like in DC the year before and the changes that came after it for them.  She also told me to take the day off, so many people were worried about an anniversary attack.

Last night was good.  We had dinner out and then went on a Target run.  After DD was in bed, H and I moved everything off the walls of the perimeter of the house.  It was advised, in case all of the banging on the sides of the house, made something fall.  The guys aren't supposed to start until tomorrow now, but at least we are ready inside the house.  All of the siding and other pieces were delivered yesterday, so let's do this!
    Good idea! When we had the roof replaced last week, pictures were knocked off level. They actually fall off the walls but were pretty crooked! I can only imagine the banging that replacing siding would cause.

Not much going on here. Just finished up some ironing (I HATE ironing) and getting sheets and towels washed from the guest we had this weekend. I've been getting back into spinning class and it is kicking my butt! I'm easing into it by only going 2 times a week and with different instructors. H is off having lunch with a former coworker so I have some quiet time at home to get stuff done. 

I was at the gym 18 years ago. The television was on in the lobby, and we could see it in the mirrors. We walked out of class and couldn't believe what we were seeing. H was on a business trip in Canada - that was scary because he didn't know how he was going to get home. He finally did, several days late. I remember the long lines at the gas stations because everyone thought there was going to be a gas shortage. Traffic was awful that day - I remember because I was driving my youngest to after school activities. My kids were 7, 11 and 14. The 7 year old was the most scared because he was worried about Daddy getting home. It affected him for quite a long time. He was scared of airplanes and didn't want H to go on business trips. The older two processed it all a little better. I just remember watching TV and crying. 
  • I'm WFH today. My grandma passed away early yesterday morning. I took a sick day yesterday, but need to save my bereavement for the funeral/memorial service in November. 

Having a hard time focusing on anything and forming coherent thoughts/sentences. 

18 years ago on this day I was starting my senior year of college. My roommate and I were on our way to get coffee at the student union when we heard the news. As I was at school in Boston, many of my classmates knew someone or was related to someone in the towers and planes. I can still remember the shock that permeated the city in the days/weeks/months that followed. As well as the fear that struck every time a helicopter or plane flew overhead. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2019
    @climbingwife that story brings tears to my eyes, what a hero

edit: i just saw a video being shared on FB about the man with the red bandana. I'm so glad you mentioned it so I had the chance to watch it (I usually don't watch videos on FB)
  • Oh sparklepants, I’m so sorry for your loss. 

• @sparklepants41 I'm so sorry for your loss. 
  • Oh @sparklepants41 I’m so sorry to your loss! Thinking of you and your family. 
  • OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2019
    Sparkle - I'm sorry for your loss.

ETA - Climbing - that is a lovely story and he is true hero.  <3
  • I'm so sorry @sparklepants41.  ((hugs))
  • sorry for your loss Sparklepants
  • @sparklepants41, I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm glad you were at least able to take a sick day yesterday and can WFH today.

Each 9/11 anniversary reminds me how that day will live in infamy and how even the small details of each person's day is seared into memory.  In a bit of an analogy, I've heard it's the same for the JFK assassination.  My mom was in elementary school when that happened.  She is now 70, but can still describe that day in very specific detail.

Just like the detail I unfortunately have for 9/11.  I was in my mid 20s.  It was the first year my H and I were dating.  I had stayed the night at his place and was driving into work.  Which was just a temp job and not in the downtown area.

I actually first heard the story over the car radio.  I assumed I must be "misunderstanding" something.  Because it sounded like the kind of drama-llama " major hyperbole" story that the news sometimes is guilty of.  So I was looking forward to getting to work and hearing what really happened.  Needless to say, the real news was even more horrifying than the confusing story I'd heard on the radio.

It was just this surreal day where no one at my office really knew what to do.  We weren't let go early.  So we felt like we needed to be working.  But nobody felt like it.  Plus there were two tvs in the office that were on.  We kind of half-pretended to be working.  Even the owner.  But we were all mainly watching tv and talking about it.  Or just looking like stunned ghosts of ourselves, when we didn't know what to say.

My H went into work.  But was only there for a few hours because he worked in downtown NOLA, at the time.  As I'm assuming happened in most major cities, the various office buildings started shutting down and evacuating as a precaution.  As a side oddity for where I live.  The first World Trade building built is actually in New Orleans, so there was initially extra fear in the city.  Nowadays it's abandoned because of age.  But back then it was in use.  Weird, sad days all around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, I don't know about any of you, but at the time I was in college so I had my own room and my own TV and I wasn't working.   So at the time, I wasn't listening to the news and live streaming wasn't happening really at that point.

The people out of college  who had jobs (our parents, and anyone older) were at their places of employment.   Those younger than us were in school   Some of our fellow students may have gone to their first classes but then started to realize what was going on and at least in our proximity to what was happening just didn't.   

Because of that I can't speak for a lot of you but I remember seeing the skyline of NYC change forever on live TV and that's still something that shakes me.
  • edited September 2019
    @sparklepants41 sorry for you loss

@climbingwife what a hero <3

@banana468 it's true. It really didn't matter what channel ....

Interesting fact, there's a touring theater play which you should all see if you have a chance called "Come From Away"
    It recounts about how Gander, Newfoundland took in a bunch of diverted planes into their small terminal.

Tbh it sounds like how people felt when there was a shooting in my city - someone shot a soldier at the unknown soldier post and then tried to run into Parliament and one guy was hailed a hero because he took him down.
    Had the guy run in about 10min later, everyone would have been out of their offices, etc.

Our whole city was in lockdown because they really had no idea what was happening and if there was going to be more people involved.