Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding weekend venues

I am trying to plan a 3 day wedding weekend on the east coast. Looking for a venue that can host about 150-200 people depending on how far away it is, with on site accommodations for about 100 people and a pool. Very flexible on location we live in CT but also playing with the idea of destination wedding like Maryland, Virginia or really any where that would be a cheap flight and an affordable venue. 

Re: Wedding weekend venues

• The east coast is such a large area. What time of year are you looking at? What do you want out of your venue? Do you want something beachy? Something in the mountains? 

We got married at Mohonk Mountain House in NY. I can't recommend it enough. 
  • Before you plan I'd talk to your VIPs first individually to check with them on their available time of the year and then their budget and whether or not they'd attend a DW or if planning something closer to them makes sense.  

From there, start to look at locations that work with the budgets and schedules of your guests.  
  • I am trying to plan a 3 day wedding weekend on the east coast. Looking for a venue that can host about 150-200 people depending on how far away it is, with on site accommodations for about 100 people and a pool. Very flexible on location we live in CT but also playing with the idea of destination wedding like Maryland, Virginia or really any where that would be a cheap flight and an affordable venue. 
    When I hear "three day weekend" I immediately think "holiday" weekend.  Many people do not care to spend a holiday weekend consumed with a wedding.  If the weekend is just a "regular" weekend, how many of your guests will be willing or able to give up 3 days for a wedding?

I agree with others that suggest you speak with immediate family and VIP's such as wedding party members before you make any commitments.  If you are already concerned about "cheap" and "affordable", then perhaps sticking local is the most sensible option to keep costs in check.  Lock in your guest list and budget and then move forward from there.

• I've been to a lot of conventions in the Nashua/Boston area. Cheap flight into Manchester and there are tons of venues.  I'd recommend looking at Convention venues in the area for 150-200 attendees then start picking up the phone.  Check the Barnum Museum in Connecticut as I believe they hire out for events though lodging wouldn't be on-site...
  • MesmrEwe said:

I've been to a lot of conventions in the Nashua/Boston area. Cheap flight into Manchester and there are tons of venues.  I'd recommend looking at Convention venues in the area for 150-200 attendees then start picking up the phone.  Check the Barnum Museum in Connecticut as I believe they hire out for events though lodging wouldn't be on-site...
    Barnum Museum is very cool but you're going to be hard-pressed to get a lot of CT natives to want to spend a lot of time in downtown Bridgeport.   If you planned an event there and then other things in the surrounding Fairfield, Norwalk area that's great. 

FWIW as a CT native I'd stick to what I know in state.  If most of your guests are here then the next benefit is that they don't have to book hotels if they don't want to and then they can pick and choose what things to attend.