Wedding Woes

Hump day. Aka Wednesday.

Lol so I am flying into Memphis for NYE to spend it with my parents.  Last night I was looking at things to do in Memphis for it, and while the theme of a 1920’s speakeasy popped up a few times (start in 1920 and go through 2020) I thought that would be cute. At first.  The Gatsby part of it - then it turns into 2020 and who likes 2020? Not my parents!  I was on the phone with my Dad and was like “so there’s that.. but also you guys have just ONE comedy club?” 
“I know.  There’s nothing to do in Memphis.  Why do you think your mom and I travel to other places to get away from it every weekend?”

long story short, I changed my flight to Nashville. 

Re: Hump day. Aka Wednesday.

• are your parents also going to go to Nashville?
  • I tried listening to the hearings today but was getting frustrated and not actually working so I had to turn it off. I’ve got a busy afternoon (including my annual review!) but my morning is totally opening. I’m hiding at my desk so no one asks me to do anything else. 
  • Seriously, only one comedy club? Don't they have a lot of music places though. Having said that, I would go to Nashville too. I LOVE Nashville - went on a girl's trip there in June.

TMI alert. Yesterday I started having some bleeding like the beginning of a period (haven't had a period in 8+ years folks.) I did what I shouldn't have done - googled post menopausal  bleeding while on HRT. I now have a call into my gyn's office. I have an appointment for my annual exam in about 2 1/2 weeks so I just need to know if I should be seen before then. Ugh! 

Have book club tonight. I'm tired of making the same old salads so I googled cuban salads since our book took place in Cuba. It's a pretty simple one but I need to go to the store to get the ingredients. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2019
    Oh yeah, they’re going too.  Nashville is about 3 hrs from them.  They said “why dont we pick you up and then drive to Nashville?” And I said “why not just fly into Nashville for $15 more?” Lol.  Nashville has more than 1 comedy club but I like their live music better.

good luck on your review @charlotte989875!  We get our end of the year reviews in March lol

hopefully your doc office puta you at ease.  You may get in sooner @ILoveBeachMusic

• edited November 2019
    Hope everything is all right @ILoveBeachMusic; that’s scary! Google is never the right answer (which I always do too) but it’s good you called your gyn! 
  • Oh yeah, they’re going too.  Nashville is about 3 hrs from them.  They said “why dont we pick you up and then drive to Nashville?” And I said “why not just fly into Nashville for $15 more?” Lol.  Nashville has more than 1 comedy club but I like their live music better.

good luck on your review @charlotte989875!  We get our end of the year reviews in March lol

hopefully your doc office puta you at ease.  You may get in sooner @ILoveBeachMusic
    Thanks!! We just moved ours earlier so that they’re actually used in promotion/salary/bonus discussions because they weren’t previously. 
  • So my mum and I are looking at trips to NYC in a few years - it's her dream to take me - and my aunt recently told us there are deals through Porter {hotel + flight!} I'm trying to get an idea if we went this May {we're not. Like I said, couple years - prob 2022}

On top of that, M and I are planning a trip in February of 2021 {dating anniversary will be 10yrs, and just celebrating our 5yr wedding anniversary that previous august 2020} It is not gonna be cheap.

Between both trips, I really need to save lol

Anyways, BabyKitten had a bit of rough patch last night. I'm just dragging this week. I literally had a hard time opening my eyes this morning, and was just thinking to myself "hey maybe if I call in sick I could sleep" but this week is pretty busy :( damn.
  • @MissKittyDanger never heard of Porter.  Gonna look that up.  I got insanely cheap flights through hopper though.  It’s my go to now. 

• @charlotte989875, good luck on your review!

@ILoveBeachMusic, I hope everything is okay!  Good idea to call your gyn's office.

@MissKittyDanger, I know it's a few years off but omgilovenycgogogogogo, lol.  My H and I didn't do anything other than a weekend here and there this year.  But, for next year, we are tentatively planning a NYC trip in March and going home to CA to visit family in Nov.

@mrsconn23, I'm glad things are looking up today and you're feeling better!

I previously mentioned that Trump had made multiple stops in Louisiana to campaign for the Rep. candidate (Rispone) running for governor.  Thankfully, that guy lost.  But what was even more delicious...especially considering how much of Trump was entwined in this election...he didn't just lose.  He lost BIG time!  He only got about 15% of the vote.

True, his opponent was our current governor and it is usually more difficult to run against the incumbent.  But still.  This is a really red state.  I'd still expect Trump to carry Louisiana in Nov.  Our electoral votes have only gone to the Dem choice twice in the last 50-60 years.  But if he doesn't...oh!  the excitement I will have, lol.  Because for a Rep. candidate, you know you're bad when...you can't even carry most of the Southern states ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 my fingers are x for your mom and you.   

@ILoveBeachMusic good luck at your doctor.   I hope you can get in soon.

We have our annual friendsgiving party Saturday.   I am determined every year to try to get more and more ahead of the festivities with cooking and other details.   Tonight I think I'm going to start the mac and cheese so I get that off my list.   Tomorrow is my work Friday and then Friday we are taking the day to clean and cook.   DH will fry turkeys and I will be making two big pots of chili (one w/ turkey and one veg with lots of beans) and then I'll whip up a sweet potato casserole and apple pie bars.   

Also, Costco lovers, have you had the cheese flight?  Because that shit's calling my name for the party. 
  • Thanks!! We just moved ours earlier so that they’re actually used in promotion/salary/bonus discussions because they weren’t previously. 
    Oh, we’re talked about and written up in December.  in November, we do our own self evaluations (which is stupid), and then corporate has their meetings in December and we’re ranked and written up then. But we don't get the write ups back with our bonus’ until March after the books are closed. 

• Thanks!! We just moved ours earlier so that they’re actually used in promotion/salary/bonus discussions because they weren’t previously. 
    Oh, we’re talked about and written up in December.  in November, we do our own self evaluations (which is stupid), and then corporate has their meetings in December and we’re ranked and written up then. But we don't get the write ups back with our bonus’ until March after the books are closed. 
    I worked for a company where we had to write up our own reviews.  Send them in Word format to the appropriate manager.  So he/she then had a "base" to add their own comments if they wanted to and/or could change scores.

At my current company, they don't do reviews at all.  The annual "meeting"...if you want to call it that, lol...was like the one I had a couple weeks ago.  The big boss stopped in my office for a few minutes...didn't even close the door or anything, but spoke in a low voice...and told me the raise I was getting.  Thanked me for the good work.  And that our client was also happy with my work, which he especially appreciates.

Not company related.  But the sometimes "danger" of sending official communication as a Word document.  I read on my real estate investing forum that a landlord had sent their soon-to-be new tenants the lease in a Word document.  The tenants added a clause that the landlord had to provide them with a birthday cake during the week of XYZ.  Including specifications that it had to be yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  Though they joked with him about it when they sent it back.  He got a kick out of it also, left it in, and indeed provides them with the appropriate birthday cake every year!  But it was a good lesson in "don't send tenants their lease in a Word document", because the next person might not be so lighthearted in what they change/add/delete.

I actually had a lot of frustration a few years ago with a rental house I was trying to purchase from a wholesaler, ie someone who is a "middle person" between the seller and the buyer, but not an agent.  Normally, the buyer writes the Purchase Agreement.  But she insisted on her PA.  Which was complete crap and missing major pieces that were important for both parties.  We sent that Word document back and forth so many times because she kept forgetting info or not writing in what I requested well/clear enough.  And every time it was sent back to me.  I made a point to review the entire thing, jic.  It got really old, really fast!  Especially considering that the state of Louisiana has a perfectly good PA template!  No need to reinvent the wheel with someone's individually created, non-attorney's substandard contract.

Her incompetence in understanding even the basics of how real estate works eventually killed our deal.  As in, she wanted me to write my earnest money check out to HER, instead of the title company.  I actually didn't get the impression she was a con artist, just that she was totally clueless.  Though I did point out to her how dumb as f**k that would be because, she could be a con artist and it simply isn't done that way.  Ever.  When I finally pulled out of the deal because she kept insisting on that, THEN she changed her mind and said the check made payable to the title company would be okay.  But too late.  I was tired of all the time I'd already wasted because she had no idea what she was doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the goods thoughts y'all. I'm still waiting for the call back.
  • @CharmedPam They're more known for inexpensive flights in short distances :) so my mum and I were surprised.
    I hear Nashville is really fun :)

@short+sassy  my mum and dad went to NYC in '99 or '00 and loved it! They went their anniversary weekend {long weekend in May} so our plan is to go then. My main goal is to pull a Breakfast at Tiffany's moment ;)
    My mum is hoping to find the same little deli that her and my dad saw while they were there. She doesn't even know what it was called or even if it's still open lmfao

@ILoveBeachMusic glad you're able to get in and get it checked out. Google is not your friend for medical knowledge, but I find it can usually confirm "yes I need to go in asap"
  • Thanks everyone! 

Yeah our process was changed so that the review can actually be used in the promotion and salary discussions. We used to do the reviews after all that, which was completely useless.

We also do a self-evaluation; I do one, my manager does one, and then we discuss it before putting the final one in the system. It’s nice because it makes you feel like you have a bit of a say in your review. 
  • S+S - for our VRBO rental the guy sent over a word doc and something was wrong (I think it said renting by the week or some sort of minimum that didn't agree with whatever we had already discussed) so my H changed it, signed it and sent it back. Always wondered if the guy even noticed.

@ilovebeachmusic I hope you hear back soon just for peace of mind. 

MKD NYC at Christmastime so no nice, highly recommend that sometime. I'd love to go back
  • @kvruns my aunt and uncle went recently {their anniversary} and it looked like fall! Maybe in the future. I'm not big on xmas in general and we're hoping it'll be nice to be outside instead of freezing our damn asses off -.-'
  • @CharmedPam if you go to Nashville, I highly recommend the eating/walking tour. We( my girlfriends and I) took the mid-town(I think) tour. It was so much fun and so much food and drink! We also went to the Ryman and to another club that I can't remember the name of. We stayed in a great VRBO in East Nashville.
  • @CharmedPam They're more known for inexpensive flights in short distances :) so my mum and I were surprised.

@short+sassy  my mum and dad went to NYC in '99 or '00 and loved it! They went their anniversary weekend {long weekend in May} so our plan is to go then. My main goal is to pull a Breakfast at Tiffany's moment ;)
    My mum is hoping to find the same little deli that her and my dad saw while they were there. She doesn't even know what it was called or even if it's still open lmfao

@ILoveBeachMusic glad you're able to get in and get it checked out. Google is not your friend for medical knowledge, but I find it can usually confirm "yes I need to go in asap"
    The flights from NOLA to NYC are shockingly cheap and short, given the distance.  They're usually direct and I can often find them for $200-$220/person round trip.  But as I discovered on my last trip there.  It's not the cost of the flight to worry about.  It's the cost of the hotel room!  Major sticker shock, even for something decent but nothing special, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

The flights from NOLA to NYC are shockingly cheap and short, given the distance.  They're usually direct and I can often find them for $200-$220/person round trip.  But as I discovered on my last trip there.  It's not the cost of the flight to worry about.  It's the cost of the hotel room!  Major sticker shock, even for something decent but nothing special, lol.
    My mum and dad did a bus tour, and even though they're nice buses - she advised she would not do it again. 9hr bus ride. Comfy or not is long a.f
    {note - bus tours did include hotel, tours, food, etc}

But at least Porter does flight and hotel, we can figure out the rest on our own ;) I'm sure there's a bunch of inexpensive things nearby and the hotel may do breakfast included.
  • Sending good vibes @ILoveBeachMusic
    Ditto NYC at Christmas :) or January...restaurant week and 2-for-1 Broadway week although both last more than a week.
    A teacher called out sick and the school director is awful with getting subs in so work was exhausting .  And my FIL and his wife just threw a major curveball into our Thanksgiving plans.  KInd of want to lay down on the couch right now and stress eat with mindless tv in the background.  

• Have I mentioned vacation planning helps me deal with stress...haha. 
    Ha.  Same.  Also, there's a reason I've tried 3 brand new recipes this week.  It's my creativity outlet and keeps my brain busy.  ;) 

My mum and dad did a bus tour, and even though they're nice buses - she advised she would not do it again. 9hr bus ride. Comfy or not is long a.f
    {note - bus tours did include hotel, tours, food, etc}

But at least Porter does flight and hotel, we can figure out the rest on our own ;) I'm sure there's a bunch of inexpensive things nearby and the hotel may do breakfast included.
    I did one of those "Hop On, Hop Off" bus tours in NYC.  And Boston.  With the double decker buses.  A lot of cities have them, so you may be familiar with them.

I thought that was really worthwhile.  Especially to do it in your first day or two.  I think they're typically 2-3 hours for the whole thing.  It's a good general overview of the typical sites people go to, with a little history thrown in, and you'll also at least get an idea of "what is where" and "which sites are near/walking distance to each other", etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have like 2 things only that I need to get done today and I am just procrastinating my ass off.  They're not even hard or time consuming. I am off all next week and cannot wait.  I'm sure that's part of the reason i'm procrastinating today, i'm just getting excited and letting down a lot.

Going to yoga tonight - excited for the stretching but the instructor is SO incredibly annoying.  I couldn't find any other pre-natal classes that are local though, so I'll deal.