Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Venue Change - No Refund

Hi everyone, 

I have a bit of a dilemma.  Originally, my future hubby and I were going to get married on a beach bluff. We put down the $250 non-refundable event fee about a year ago. This space does not allow amplification and will only let us have 20 chairs. After much stress about making people stand and no being able to hear...we finally decided to move our wedding to a church nearby (literally 3 minutes away walking). Since the event fee was non-refundable, we are trying to think of a way to incorporate the bluff into our day. We can't have food or drink out there. We will definitely take pictures, but I'm trying to think of a way to use the space (and the 20 chairs) in a way that is intentional and meaningful. Ceremony after the ceremony? The only thing is that the reception is across the street from the church, so it feels like a lot of walking back and forth for guests. Also the idea of staging a ceremony on the bluff for photos feels fake to me. Is there some traditional thing we can do out there? Thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Ceremony Venue Change - No Refund

• Options
    Hi everyone, 

I have a bit of a dilemma.  Originally, my future hubby and I were going to get married on a beach bluff. We put down the $250 non-refundable event fee about a year ago. This space does not allow amplification and will only let us have 20 chairs. After much stress about making people stand and no being able to hear...we finally decided to move our wedding to a church nearby (literally 3 minutes away walking). Since the event fee was non-refundable, we are trying to think of a way to incorporate the bluff into our day. We can't have food or drink out there. We will definitely take pictures, but I'm trying to think of a way to use the space (and the 20 chairs) in a way that is intentional and meaningful. Ceremony after the ceremony? The only thing is that the reception is across the street from the church, so it feels like a lot of walking back and forth for guests. Also the idea of staging a ceremony on the bluff for photos feels fake to me. Is there some traditional thing we can do out there? Thoughts? Thanks!
    Congratulations on taking the comfort of your guests in mind and not pushing your vision over their comfort!  Taking pictures on the bluff sounds lovely.  Many couples often travel to nearby sites with their wedding party for additional pictures.  You could coordinate a picture "shoot" with your wedding party and families.  The pictures do not necessarily have to be taken after your ceremony.  If time allows, you could take several prior to the ceremony. 
    A ceremony after the ceremony does not make sense since you will still have the amplification and seating issues.
    You may also have to bag the entire idea in the case of inclement weather.
  • Options
    I'm glad you are taking your guests' comfort into consideration. Taking pictures on the beach bluff would be beautiful, and I'm not sure there's really any other way that you can use the space that will make sense (as you have already guessed, a ceremony after the ceremony isn't the answer). As for the chairs, the only way I can think of that you'll get use out of them is if you have a big family and/or wedding party and can have some of them seated in your photos. 

• Options
    Other than photos...which sounds great anyway!...I can't think of any way to incorporate the bluff into the activities that would make sense.  I like @downtondiva's suggestion that having some chairs there might at least give an opportunity for a wider range of photos and/or more people in them.

I wouldn't recommend photos that "stage" the ceremony, because you all will know those aren't the photos of it.  You'll have beautiful photos of the actual ceremony.  Those are the ones that will be meaningful to you all, even if the church venue was not the original plan.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker