Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Facebook invites

Ok so we will be sending out paper invitations. 

That said, we’re having our wedding this August and I was wondering if it’s tacky to do Facebook save the dates. We don’t want to send out paper save the dates because honestly $15000 is enough for a wedding and the extra 3-400 it would cost to send save the dates is just exhausting to me. We’re planning on sending our invites out plenty early but I would like to create a Facebook save the date group for our friends with a link to our wedding website but I don’t want to be tacky.

so is it ok to do Facebook save the dates if everyone on the Facebook list gets a paper invite?

Re: Facebook invites

• Options

That said, we’re having our wedding this August and I was wondering if it’s tacky to do Facebook save the dates. We don’t want to send out paper save the dates because honestly $15000 is enough for a wedding and the extra 3-400 it would cost to send save the dates is just exhausting to me. We’re planning on sending our invites out plenty early but I would like to create a Facebook save the date group for our friends with a link to our wedding website but I don’t want to be tacky.

so is it ok to do Facebook save the dates if everyone on the Facebook list gets a paper invite?
    Well, keep in mind that Save the Dates should really just be for your VIP guests. 

Instead of using Facebook, I'd just send emails. 
  • Options
    I agree with using email, or even just texting people if you’re looking for an informal route. Save the dates aren’t required but if you’re looking to let people know ahead of time I think email is fine. With Facebook you have to assume people check it regularly (I definitely don’t & know a ton of close friends/family that aren’t on it or don’t check it) and would see the invite. 
  • Options
    I would not use facebook or set up a group. Not everyone is on FB or checks it regularly, and even if they are, they may ignore events. 

Just send an email with a link to your website. 
  • Options
    Another vote for "Do not use facebook for this" AND "Skip the Save the Date cards, they REALLY are not necessary!"...  Let the family Chatty Kathy know where you're registered and send out the invites at the end of June...
  • Options
    Totally agree with PPs. Email save the dates are just fine but I wouldn't use FB.

• Options
    I would not use facebook or set up a group. Not everyone is on FB or checks it regularly, and even if they are, they may ignore events. 

Just send an email with a link to your website. 
    For a while a few years ago, I was getting so bombarded with event invites that I started pretty much ignoring them. You don't want to risk that with a wedding! 

I agree with PP's that it's much better to rely on texting/email/word of mouth to let your guests know about the wedding date. I'd also suggest that for now you just advise your VIP's; there's no need to get the info to very last person on your guest list. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!! I’m just going to fork out the money to do regular save the dates. I personally don’t care but my man is worried people won’t book their rooms in time.
  • Options

"Thanks guys!!! I’m just going to fork out the money to do regular save the dates. I personally don’t care but my man is worried people won’t book their rooms in time."

No amount of efficient or timely mailings will ensure guests will book their rooms.  Actually, sending out invitations too early can backfire, as guests see how far in advance the date is, and toss it to the side into their "later" pile.  Send out your invitations at the typical 6-8 week time frame.
    As others have suggested, notify all VIP family and friends.  Let adults take care of themselves. 
  • Options
    A mailed STD won't ensure people will book their rooms in a timely fashion. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!! I’m just going to fork out the money to do regular save the dates. I personally don’t care but my man is worried people won’t book their rooms in time.
    No need to "Fork out the money", you can do this for less than $10 and shipping if your FI insists.  Print on a half-sheet of 8.5x11 paper, chop in half and tri-fold into an envelope.  The STD card style does not have to be "matching" to your invitations and all but 2-3 are going to end up in a trash can.  

Unless you've got a major event happening that weekend that typically books up all the hotels for a 30-40 mile radius, people will book their hotel rooms when they're ready and no a second before whether you're anxious for them to book or not, they're adults.  I hesitate to also say, most of the time I can find a far better hotel deal on my own than what "block rates" are because of loyalty programs and knowing where to look and when.