Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to send out the rsvp cards

Should I send out the rsvp cards when I send out the save the dates, or when I send out the invitations?

Answers

• RSVP cards go out with the invitations. You shouldn't ask for an RSVP with the save the date. 
  • RSVP cards go out with the invitations. You shouldn't ask for an RSVP with the save the date. 
    Save The Dates are only to tell your guests that a formal invitation is going to be sent to them later. 

You should neither send nor expect anyone to respond to a save the date. 
  • Should I send out the rsvp cards when I send out the save the dates, or when I send out the invitations?
    Also, depending on how far out your actual wedding date is, it is not recommended you send STD's out to everyone on your guest list.  Send STD's to your nearest, dearest, and VIP's.  Relationships, budgets, and other life events can change dramatically in a short amount of time.  Once you send a STD, it tells the recipient that they will absolutely be getting an actual invitation in the future,
  • kostenannkostenann member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2020
    Our wedding date is October 10th. We are sending out save the dates in early February and sending out invitations in early July with an RSVP date of September 1st. Our final head count is due 30 days from the wedding date.

• kostenann said:
    Our wedding date is October 10th. We are sending out save the dates in early February and sending out invitations in early July with an RSVP date of September 1st. Our final head count is due 30 days from the wedding date.

@kostenann please adjust your response date and work with your venue.   They should not require a final head count at 30 days and can work with soft numbers.   Your response date should be no more than 30 days before your wedding date or you're going to be chasing down the people who just can't give an answer because the request is too early. 
  • kostenann said:

@banana468 is right. You shouldn't require the RSVP until around 2 weeks before the wedding. That gives you time to track down non-responders. The caterer shouldn't need a hard count until about a week before. When sending out things this early, it looks like you are B listing. 
  • Save The Date cards are just so that people know to reserve the day for your wedding. In the Fall especially, weddings are very popular, so you want to make sure that people don't have prior commitments. Save the dates should be sent out 6-12 months before the wedding date, however I would recommend doing them no less than 8 months just to be careful. RSVPs should be attached with the official wedding invitations, which should be sent out 6-8 weeks before the date, and 2-3 months if your wedding is a destination wedding. Here is a timeline that you can follow for all wedding stationary: https://www.magnetstreet.com/wedding-stationery-timeline

• As a compromise to sending two save the dates, maybe send a engagement announcement. You could use the announcement as a way to tell everyone the wedding is in 2021. Then send the Save the Dates at the appropriate time in 2021.
  • As a compromise to sending two save the dates, maybe send a engagement announcement. You could use the announcement as a way to tell everyone the wedding is in 2021. Then send the Save the Dates at the appropriate time in 2021.
    Two things!

1) This thread is a zombie and is over a year old.   Look at the timing before responding. 

2)  Engagement announcements are not sent.  They can be put in a newspaper but mailed announcements aren't appropriate.  You CAN send marriage announcements to those who weren't invited. 

•                    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards