Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help! Which size?

I've tried on my dress and I am in between 2 sizes.

The size 10 fits just a tad snug in the waist (but could be worn as is all day, especially if it loosened up even just a little) and can be let out, straps would need to be shortened and cups adjusted

The size 12 is a little loose everywhere, and would need to be taken in, and also straps and cups adjusted

Is it easier to take in or let out a dress?

Obviously the plan would be to lose weight, wedding is in Sept and tailor said we could start altering around May/June so I have time

Which size should I go with?

Is it too soon to purchase the dress now? 

I don't have much room in my tiny cottage for storage, but don't want to risk losing my dream dress

It's from BHLDN so not sure how often they go out of stock

Re: Help! Which size?

• Options
    Talk to your tailor.   I'm way more inclined to get the bigger dress and alter to fit rather than worry that you feel like it's too tight.  All you need is a period day of bloat or an extra something to feel like a sausage in a dress vs. one tailored directly to the body you have the day you get married. 
  • Options
    I've tried on my dress and I am in between 2 sizes.

The size 10 fits just a tad snug in the waist (but could be worn as is all day, especially if it loosened up even just a little) and can be let out, straps would need to be shortened and cups adjusted

The size 12 is a little loose everywhere, and would need to be taken in, and also straps and cups adjusted

Is it easier to take in or let out a dress?

Obviously the plan would be to lose weight, wedding is in Sept and tailor said we could start altering around May/June so I have time

Which size should I go with?

Is it too soon to purchase the dress now? 

I don't have much room in my tiny cottage for storage, but don't want to risk losing my dream dress

It's from BHLDN so not sure how often they go out of stock

Would you be wearing the same undergarments on your wedding day that you did when you tried on the size 10?  That factor alone could make a big difference.  I agree that more often than not, it is safer to take in than let out when it comes to tailoring. 
    Do you know the tailor well?  Is it possible they would be willing to store it for you (with the caveat they are insured in the event something happened at their shop)?  Typically I would recommend waiting to purchase the dress.  If you have looked at BHLDN often, do they dramatically switch up their styles from year to year?  It seems to me they tend to lean toward the same styles with differences in embellishments, so you may still find something to your liking, or even better, by waiting.  But if you feel strongly that it is THE dress and you don't get it, it may be hard to find something that replaces "the one that got away".
  • Options
    Better to err on the option of altering down instead of altering up.  Consider that the one you're trying on the fabric has already "relaxed" because of hundreds of people trying it on in the shop vs. one that is new fresh from the designer...  Your dress will be shipped in a box from overseas and take up a little more than a 2-gallon ziploc.  It's the pressing and hanging up which makes it take up a much larger space.  Some bridal shops offer the option that if you're having alterations done in-house they'll store it for you.  It is better to have possession of the dress than to leave it at the shop or the tailor's because of the horror stories of previous knotties whose shops have just closed up shop/gone bankrupt with their dresses locked inside.