Wedding Woes

Thursday! Prudie Day!

2»

Re: Thursday! Prudie Day!

• I know I have seen commercials targeting boys and girls for the HPV vaccine. My kids are older so I haven't been to a doctor with them in years. They weren't vaccinating boys at first - just girls. Now they are vaccinating boys according to my friends with kids the appropriate age. 
  • The very first commercials I saw for HPV were targeted just to girls.  But for many years now, at least in my area, they're targeted to both boys and girls.  Seems like equally.

It's also almost the same commercial with the same dialogue. It's a young adult talking to their parents (but speaking directly to the camera).  They are talking about having cancer and then...while footage of a similar looking younger child is being played...saying something like (paraphrasing), "Did you know there was a vaccine I could have taken when I was about 12 that would have prevented this?"..."Did you?  Mom?  Dad?" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    HPV is recommended for males and females. It has been an enormous success in decreasing rates of HPV related cancers, including throat and anal cancer caused by HPV. You also don’t hear about it being as strongly marketed to males, because well the American health system sucks and is rampant with sexism and LGBTQ related phobia. 

It is most effective when given at the started recommended ages, based on the fact that *most* 9 year olds have not had sexual contact yet. Any child who can receive it should. There’s a lot of misinformation out there, coupled with people’s inability to separate their personal feelings and stigmas about sex with the fact that their kids will eventually be sexually active, probably sooner than they want to think, and you want kids to be protected way before that. And yes, cancer related to HPV is a huge public health concern. I guarantee if sex had nothing to do with this, if it was just a random cancer that “happens” due to a flu like virus, no one would hesitate to vaccinate at whatever age was recommended. 
    I appreciate that feedback. 

I'll still argue that it's slightly different because its affects are not immediate vs. exposing an immunosuppressed child to measles or chicken pox but I appreciate the strong arguments for why this is also something that should be done in general.   
  • I glad to hear that they have started to change their stance with the advertising and are trying to get boys to get the vaccine as well.  The blatant sexism in healthcare is up here in Canada as well.  

• I also did a very quick google and it doesn't look like the HPV vaccine has any of the live virus in any form in it, so it shouldn't have any concerns for an immunosupressed child.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I also did a very quick google and it doesn't look like the HPV vaccine has any of the live virus in any form in it, so it shouldn't have any concerns for an immunosupressed child.
    That is excellent.  My comment about the immunosuppressed was referring to those who have an immediate issue if exposed to virus.

The first thought is the child in Chiquito's class who hasn't even attended much of the school this winter due to the flu while he fights cancer.    Exposure to flu (and this year's shot was terrible), measles, etc can mean at minimum a week in a hospital and could mean he's terminal.   

I do appreciate the concept though that a virus as prevalent as HPV is still a public health issue and should be viewed as one.