Budget Weddings Forum

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Christmas Tree Shop

Hey Brides! Have any of you have purchased a bunch of decorations, centerpieces, etc for your wedding then returned it the next few days? My friend made a joke about buying decorations and returning them. I know it was a joke but now im considering it as I am on a budget. Any thoughts?

Re: Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Christmas Tree Shop

• Hey Brides! Have any of you have purchased a bunch of decorations, centerpieces, etc for your wedding then returned it the next few days? My friend made a joke about buying decorations and returning them. I know it was a joke but now im considering it as I am on a budget. Any thoughts?
    I think that’s a really crappy thing to do; there are places that you can actually rent decor or buy from other brides that have already used it, but you’re essentially trying to steal decorations for a few days. 
  • Decorations should not be so important that you would consider lying/stealing to obtain them.  
  • MobKaz said:
    Decorations should not be so important that you would consider lying/stealing to obtain them.  
    This. 

Also, this is the reason the rest of us have a hard time actually returning things we need to return.

I was on a budget too. I skipped flowers. I made my own centerpieces of of wine bottles that I painted, and other things I purchased at Michael's that I did not return. 
  • Hey Brides! Have any of you have purchased a bunch of decorations, centerpieces, etc for your wedding then returned it the next few days? My friend made a joke about buying decorations and returning them. I know it was a joke but now im considering it as I am on a budget. Any thoughts?
    My thought is that I would not trust someone who told me that they did this.  

Don't do this.   If you are on a budget come up with moral ways to cut your costs. 
  • Don't do this. If you're on a budget, keep your decor simple and/or don't have a lot of it.
  • Wow. Please say that you are joking or maybe trolling for an article.
  • I think instead of doing that.. maybe try purchasing decorations that you can use for something else later. Like, if you purchase your own arbor, you can put it in your backyard or at the entrance to your yard/walkway. Some people use stacks of old books for centerpieces. Something like that can be purchased cheaply from a thrift store, then re-donated.