Wedding Woes

Friday

I'm now working mostly from home. My office put us on a two-days per week in the office schedule for the time being.

Trying to work in an apartment over a dog park where the only amenities now are trash pickup, mail and the dog park itself, and where only "emergency" maintenance is available (which probably doesn't include changing burned-out bulbs in ceiling track-lighting and fixtures), thus limiting me to natural daylight and lamp light is ... interesting.

The office building scheduled a power outage for electrical work tomorrow, so I can't even work then. I wouldn't mind the extra day off, except I am socially distancing myself in order to protect my cancer-surviving parents. Oh well, the silver lining there is peace and quiet when the dogs aren't barking...

Re: Friday

• I stayed home yesterday. The stress and anxiety gave me an awful headache, so I was in bed most of the morning.
    My boss suggested a social media break, she was starting headaches also and found it helped.
    It's not perfect, but it is what it is.

This weekend M is donating blood - he's universal donor and since the blood banks are still open, he's going.

I think he may swing by home depot to build BabyKitten a kitchen helper step. We planned for her bday, but she stands by our pass thru window to watch him in the kitchen so we're doing it now. Might be easier to round her up lol
  • Today I'm attending an online seminar. I'm pretty sure it was scheduled to be online well before all this shit hit the fan, but the timing is nice. I'm learning some, it's interesting, and I needed a change of pace from my normal daily activities. 

In other news, I'm starting to think about the furniture we still need for the new place. Of course we're limited to online window shopping for now. Anyone have places they like for furniture online? I've pretty much exhausted wayfair (the dining room table I like is 10k!). Where else do you look at furniture? 
  • Today I'm attending an online seminar. I'm pretty sure it was scheduled to be online well before all this shit hit the fan, but the timing is nice. I'm learning some, it's interesting, and I needed a change of pace from my normal daily activities. 

In other news, I'm starting to think about the furniture we still need for the new place. Of course we're limited to online window shopping for now. Anyone have places they like for furniture online? I've pretty much exhausted wayfair (the dining room table I like is 10k!). Where else do you look at furniture? 
    i'm hit or miss, but Amazon. I've been window shopping.
  • DefConn's on a group video chat with his class right now.  They are all SO HAPPY and it's adorable.  They closed schools through May 1st here, so we're in it for the long haul. 

We went to Walmart last night and it was bare.  Literally, no meat or cheese.  I think I'm going to have to run to Meijer at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm currently storing overflow snacks in my office to keep them from being opened before other snacks are used up. 

How are CA peeps with the new shelter in place?  I've been thinking of you all.  

SSDD around here.  Weather's going to crap fast, windy, cloudy, and getting colder. 
  • @mrsconn23 2 provinces here have closed school until September and my province has an announcement today - we're all anticipating the announcement.
    Unfortunately the premier of our province will get what he wants - online classes
  • Kiddos start distance learning next week. 

DH IS HOME!!  So far he needs to be plugged in to get his connection to work so he's standing up using one of our speakers as an office.   This is what 2020 looks like in a working 2 family household while the kids are running around. 

I am also safe from the March installment of the coronavirus baby boom.   So tonight I think I need to make sure the beer's still good because we had to cancel St. Patrick's Day.

Yesterday I prayed a rosary w/ DH, and Chiquita at 4 and we watched a mass at 8:30 that was at a church near BIL and SIL that happened to be said in honor of their daughter that passed last year.  

DH's family may get a family Zoom meeting going tonight.   This becomes a new way of having a social gathering. 
  • @MyNameIsNot, you’re close to Chicago right?  I saw a commercial for Walter E Smith.  Show rooms are open by appt only.  Maybe try them? 

Walmart pick up service is down but I did an instacart order, despite none of the “first time buyer” coupon codes working.  So far I should be getting it.  I’ve got 3 rolls of toilet paper left right now. Please keep your fingers crossed they have the butt paper in my order.  

Gtg it’s morning nap time.

• @MyNameIsNot, you’re close to Chicago right?  I saw a commercial for Walter E Smith.  Show rooms are open by appt only.  Maybe try them? 

Walmart pick up service is down but I did an instacart order, despite none of the “first time buyer” coupon codes working.  So far I should be getting it.  I’ve got 3 rolls of toilet paper left right now. Please keep your fingers crossed they have the butt paper in my order.  

Gtg it’s morning nap time.
    Nope, Atlanta. I don't really want to go anywhere, or even really spend money. Online shopping is just my newest distraction.

I was able to order paper towels from Costco this week. They cut my order (from 2 packs to one), but arrival is scheduled today. I think demand is starting to level off, so you should be ok. 

I've had good luck at Ashley for furniture.  Overstock and amazon sometimes have good stuff although I have found (at least the things I was looking for) that Amazon was more expensive than i expected. Depending on your style, secondhand websites (chairish, ebay, offerup, high end used furniture, even etsy) can be great too!  It's fun to look at least 

Day 5 of WFH with baby and i've gotten about 5 solid hours of work done outside of my normal volume of conference calls.  Our house is a mess and we're both going a little nutty.  I'm going to bake a lot this weekend and try to get our new (from the street) bedroom set cleaned and upstairs too.  

I ran to the grocery store and walgreen yesterday and was super annoyed at people not social distancing at all.  It was outrageous and the places weren't even that busy.  Walgreen did have tape on the floor and signs to indicate where ppl should stand in line (6ft apart) which was nice.  

Hope everyone is staying safe. 
  • I got my couch from furniture.com and love it! Delivery and haul away too.

nope, mariano’s was out of t.p. So I canceled the order and will head out during my “lunch”. Someone posted about Having t.p. yesteeday at a local place, but that was yesterday.  Why the eff was hoarding all this t.p. a thing?

• mrsconn23 said:
    DefConn's on a group video chat with his class right now.  They are all SO HAPPY and it's adorable.  They closed schools through May 1st here, so we're in it for the long haul. 

We went to Walmart last night and it was bare.  Literally, no meat or cheese.  I think I'm going to have to run to Meijer at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow or Sunday.  I'm currently storing overflow snacks in my office to keep them from being opened before other snacks are used up. 

SSDD around here.  Weather's going to crap fast, windy, cloudy, and getting colder. 
    Did you see that Meijer changed their hours 8am-10pm. I was just at the one near me. No rice, very low on pasta they were restocking meat but don't know how long it will last. We are fine as far as meat is concerned. We buy in bulk and freeze it. Eggs were almost gone too. Cheese was being restocked.
  • We've been okay so far when it comes to groceries.  Maybe a few substitutions or having to try twice, but nothing extreme.  The only 2 day window for pickup for Walmart is a bit rough, I feel like 3 would be a bit better, but I'm assuming they know how to run their business how they need.

I'm pretty sure the entire state of MO is going to have high as hell infection/death rates between the assholes, our governor, and the state Republicans.  Oh, remember me being furious about the mega church that didn't cancel services? One of our now positives went to the damn service.  IDK what their attendance count that particular day was, but their average is 10K people.  SO stupid, SO preventable, SO careless and putting so many people at risk.  I think the church should be fined and shut down by government order until further notice (they have 4 campuses in this area with an average attendance of 15K between all 4 locations).  They were warned and chose to do what they wanted anyway.  There should be consequences to such flagrant carelessness and disregard for societal health.

I'm glad it's Friday.  I need a break from this week.  Holding it together has been really hard at work.  I'm scared and being at work with the number of people we have here in such close proximity has made it harder.  Still no plans for any of us to work from home or in shifts.  The managing partner's paranoia is going to have terrible consequences.  I honestly believe it's just a matter of time.  Hell, some of my co-workers fall into the high risk age groups.
  • I’m off today. We were supposed to be headed to Pittsburgh for SILs shower but instead H is redoing the laundry room (see below what I woke up to this morning, which is the entire contents of our laundry room and foyer). He’s going to Lowe’s now for supplies because the governor just announced a 100% reduction in non-essential workplace employees. We were told yesterday were working from home until were told otherwise. I’m pretty over it by now so I’m glad I’m taking today and Monday off. Even if I’m home at least I can nap. 

We’re starting to look at daycares and nannies and it’s completely overwhelming. I’m taking at least 3 months off, possibly more, but waitlists are so long we need to start now. Any tips? 
  • @mrsconn23 2 provinces here have closed school until September and my province has an announcement today - we're all anticipating the announcement.
    Unfortunately the premier of our province will get what he wants - online classes
    Right!  I'm so annoyed - they are going to use this as an excuse that online works.  But these are special circumstances, and it won't be  a good indication because they are going to "force" the kids through.  I may be a bit biased, so if people have another opinion they are more than welcome to it, but I think the worst thing we ever did for students was making it impossible for them to fail classes.  Looks great on the province for graduation rates, but it drives my husband nuts because kids who don't know the material and aren't prepared for the next grade of that class get to go on, and then they struggle with it.  

And end rant.

• levioosa said:
    I like Living Spaces. I feel as though the quality is better than Ashley Furniture. My true aesthetic is Pottery Barn but my wallet is not as enthusiastic as my bougie internal Pinterest mindset. 

There were way too many people on the road this morning for a shelter in place. They cannot all be essential employees. Work as usual for me due to the nature of my job. I’m ready to walk in to staff panic though. FI had a low key panic attack last night. Good thing right before the shelter in place went into effect I’d gone to TJ and bought nine bottles of wine. Lol. 
    Same. 

Sounds like you stocked up just in time! Is everything closing or can you get out for groceries? 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    DefConn's on a group video chat with his class right now.  They are all SO HAPPY and it's adorable.  They closed schools through May 1st here, so we're in it for the long haul. 

Did you see that Meijer changed their hours 8am-10pm. I was just at the one near me. No rice, very low on pasta they were restocking meat but don't know how long it will last. We are fine as far as meat is concerned. We buy in bulk and freeze it. Eggs were almost gone too. Cheese was being restocked.
    I did not.  UGH!  I'll still try to be there upon store opening tomorrow.  Going first thing seems to be the best time, since they are restocking/restocked from over night. 
  • kerbohl said:
    @mrsconn23 2 provinces here have closed school until September and my province has an announcement today - we're all anticipating the announcement.
    Right!  I'm so annoyed - they are going to use this as an excuse that online works.  But these are special circumstances, and it won't be  a good indication because they are going to "force" the kids through.  I may be a bit biased, so if people have another opinion they are more than welcome to it, but I think the worst thing we ever did for students was making it impossible for them to fail classes.  Looks great on the province for graduation rates, but it drives my husband nuts because kids who don't know the material and aren't prepared for the next grade of that class get to go on, and then they struggle with it.  

And end rant.
    No no I get it.
    My boss's oldest would not have finished school if anything was requested online. She's anticipating going back to college in the fall, and one course she wanted to take was solely online and opted out because she knew she wouldn't be able to keep herself entirely accountable.

This year has been hard on my province because we've already had rotating strikes due to this g-d premier because it's a fucking twat! Urg ...
  • levioosa said:
    I like Living Spaces. I feel as though the quality is better than Ashley Furniture. My true aesthetic is Pottery Barn but my wallet is not as enthusiastic as my bougie internal Pinterest mindset. 
    LOLOLOLOL
  • My understanding of the mandates issued by NY and CA still mean that you can go to the grocery store, to a pharmacy, and a gas station and if a business was making food for take out then you can get it.

If you work in an essential business then you're still going.   That means that you need to go to your job based on what they said if it's in healthcare, the take out restaurant, gas station, post office or other delivery carrier and if your job is in a role that is part of the vital supply chain to keep stores stocked and hospitals in operation. 

I don't know how those companies identify if they are or are not essential though.   
  • banana468 said:
    My understanding of the mandates issued by NY and CA still mean that you can go to the grocery store, to a pharmacy, and a gas station and if a business was making food for take out then you can get it.

If you work in an essential business then you're still going.   That means that you need to go to your job based on what they said if it's in healthcare, the take out restaurant, gas station, post office or other delivery carrier and if your job is in a role that is part of the vital supply chain to keep stores stocked and hospitals in operation. 

I don't know how those companies identify if they are or are not essential though.   
    That’s how I read everything when NY announced this morning. We weren’t really going anywhere regardless but H wanted to head to Lowe’s in case that would be closed. 
  • If y'all are missing the nightlife, bored, or just want to support some performers, a burlesque showed called Five Star Tease (I think in WI?) is paying performers from all over the nation a booking for their "Quaran-tease" and streaming it on Vimeo:  https://vimeo.com/ondemand/quarantease1

It looks fantastic and they are one of the most inclusive, positive, supportive, and amazing burlesque troops I've ever observed.  I've watched the preview and it looks like it's going to be fun.  They're doing a new one for every Friday night until this passes.
  • I took a vacation day, today, and am SO glad I did.  It's been such a rough week for everyone and its nice to have an extra day to decompress.

I went out this morning to make another payment on my HELOC.  I checked before I left and Hancock-Whitney is switching many of the branches to drive-thru only after today.  I asked at my branch and they said that their branch is one of the ones that will keep the lobby open because there's enough room to have appropriate social distancing.  But it will be drive-thru only on Saturdays.  My other bank has gone to drive thru only for all their branches.

Then I stopped at a donut shop where I'd already placed a carry-out order.  The have special maple bars that are generously sprinkled with small pieces of bacon!  OMG, so yum!  In fact, I am munching on one as I type, lol.  Found out they are going to start selling loaves of bread starting tomorrow.  Good for them!  I like the win-win of them seeing a need in the community, at the same time they are seeing a dip in their own business.

I hadn't planned to go to the grocery store but, now I was near my main one, so I stopped in to get some chicken noodle soup because I forgot that on my last trip.  I didn't go wandering through the whole store, but it didn't seem that bad.  Though all the bagged salad was gone.  Got my soup and bananas just fine.  I saw one woman in line with a "precious" loaf of bread, so apparently at least some loaves were available.

Camped out at home for the rest of the weekend, though I still have a lot I want to get accomplished around the house and for my personal business.  For example, I want to put together a "help" list to send out to all my tenants.  Like links to apply for temporary unemployment and SNAP benefits, that kind of thing.  Right now, everyone is up to date on their rent.  But it's going to be a rough road in the near future for all of us (general us).  Plus, I know two different tenants, bartender and Uber drive, who had their income dry up overnight and can already use the help for whatever programs are out there.  My H and I also need to make a trip to Home Depot, at some point, for a return.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This has been the longest month of my life. DH is still looking for jobs and it feels like the whole world is on hold. He is insistent he will be able to get a job easier/ faster once he is back in the States but, Dude!, We're not going back till June. Add in a global pandemic and I am stressed.

My birthday was kind of a let down because social distancing. I, for some stupid reason (weight), decided to cut out sugar this month so I didn't even have cake. I am just getting depressed I think, I hate being in limbo. 
  • @missJeanLouise we have the first diagnosis in town here.   We don't know who it is but the confirmed case is a 44 year old woman.   That's the age of the parents of my daughter's friends.   That's not far off from me.   It's starting to close in and hits home.   I just hope that DH got home early enough and that we haven't been exposed.  
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @MissKittyDanger feel better!  @mrsconn23 my two youngest had their first video conferences with their teachers and classmates today, they were thrilled.  It was like Christmas morning.  @banana468 we did the 4pm rosary yesterday too...I was bummed about no mass, especially Holy Week/Easter, but when our bishop announced no wedding and funerals it really shook me.  (100% agree with the decision but still shaken up.)
    Yeah in NY we can go to supermarkets, the doctor, gas stations, hardware stores, pharmacies, etc. Everything non-essential has to close by Sunday but lots of places have already closed.  @CharmedPam I've had luck with toilet paper at 99cent stores (unfortunately there's racism happening here so the Asian-owned ones are especially well-stocked).  I've also had lots of luck with groceries at the mom&pop shops as far as the staples (bread, eggs, etc).  I haven't been able to get anything I've needed from Target, Stop&Shop or Costco for a couple of weeks. 
  • ei34 said:
      @mrsconn23 my two youngest had their first video conferences with their teachers and classmates today, they were thrilled.  It was like Christmas morning. 
    I won't lie, I cried a little.  They were all just so excited and happy. 
  • ei34 said:
    @MissKittyDanger feel better!  @mrsconn23 my two youngest had their first video conferences with their teachers and classmates today, they were thrilled.  It was like Christmas morning.  @banana468 we did the 4pm rosary yesterday too...I was bummed about no mass, especially Holy Week/Easter, but when our bishop announced no wedding and funerals it really shook me.  (100% agree with the decision but still shaken up.)
    Yeah in NY we can go to supermarkets, the doctor, gas stations, hardware stores, pharmacies, etc. Everything non-essential has to close by Sunday but lots of places have already closed.  @CharmedPam I've had luck with toilet paper at 99cent stores (unfortunately there's racism happening here so the Asian-owned ones are especially well-stocked).  I've also had lots of luck with groceries at the mom&pop shops as far as the staples (bread, eggs, etc).  I haven't been able to get anything I've needed from Target, Stop&Shop or Costco for a couple of weeks. 
    Interesting aside, yesterday when talking with my Italian tutor via Skype, she said the same thing with Asian, Middle Eastern and north African groceries. All of those stores have plenty of TP. She said that the reason is that  these cultures use bidets and a towel, not toilet paper. She was looking all over Berlin for TP and was down to just roll in her house. She was going to go out today and search again. I always thought all of Europe used bidets since the hotels where we have stayed all had bidets. She told me the only country that actually has bidets nowadays at home is Italy. I thought that was pretty interesting. If I needed toilet paper I would certainly go look in those grocery stores now that I know.
  • banana468 said:
    @missJeanLouise we have the first diagnosis in town here.   We don't know who it is but the confirmed case is a 44 year old woman.   That's the age of the parents of my daughter's friends.   That's not far off from me.   It's starting to close in and hits home.   I just hope that DH got home early enough and that we haven't been exposed.  
    Shit. I will have to check in with my family, see how they are doing. I am glad you're H's company finally pulled their head out of their ass.

@ILoveBeachMusic the TP thing is everyone's silver lining here. Since everyone has a sprayer next to the toilet, no massive run on TP lol.

If anyone is interested, join Two Fat Expats on FB. A lady from China posted today about what the virus/ community looks like 2 months out and it is very inspiring. It has really helped me keep things in perspective.
  • banana468 said:
    @missJeanLouise we have the first diagnosis in town here.   We don't know who it is but the confirmed case is a 44 year old woman.   That's the age of the parents of my daughter's friends.   That's not far off from me.   It's starting to close in and hits home.   I just hope that DH got home early enough and that we haven't been exposed.  
    Shit. I will have to check in with my family, see how they are doing. I am glad you're H's company finally pulled their head out of their ass.

@ILoveBeachMusic the TP thing is everyone's silver lining here. Since everyone has a sprayer next to the toilet, no massive run on TP lol.

If anyone is interested, join Two Fat Expats on FB. A lady from China posted today about what the virus/ community looks like 2 months out and it is very inspiring. It has really helped me keep things in perspective.
    DH's company moved quickly (ish) to get him the laptop.   Those who can't WFH are now on forced shifts. I'm lucky to have him here.