Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father/Daughter Dance Help?

I'm in a predicament. After the first dance is the father/daughter dance. Ive read different things that my husband is suppose to dance with either my mom or his mom, but I'm dancing with my mom, because my dad passed away. Should he dance with his mom, even though the song I'm dancing to with my mom is something very sentimental to my mom and I? Also, how many dances are there? I'm so confused. 

Re: Father/Daughter Dance Help?

• Options
    You can do it any way you want. You could dance with your mom then he could dance with his mom to another song. All of you could dance to the same song. Just have you and your mom dance without another spotlight dance. You could not have a spotlight dance at all or just have the first dance with your new H.
  • Options
    Your FI will pick a song to dance to with his mom.  

The average I see is 3: couple dance, Father/daughter dance and the mother/son dance. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

The average I see is 3: couple dance, Father/daughter dance and the mother/son dance. 
    This is typically what I see as well. 

A good friend of mine lost her father when she was a child; on her wedding her mother walked her down the aisle and they did a mother-daughter dance. It was so lovely and fit them perfectly. 

If you want to dance with your mom I say go for it! If you’d rather not that’s fine too. Your FI can dance with his mom (or whomever is special in his life) and the two of you can have your first dance. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I agree with banana. I usually see three dances, a couple’s dance, and two parent dances. Any more than that tends to get a bit long but those three are the usual go to dances.