Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Game Ideas

Hello! My fiancé and I are getting married on June 27th, but we are splitting up the ceremony and reception part now. We both have big, close families and lots of close friends, so we felt a big wedding celebration may not be the best idea yet with Covid-19 still happening.

The ceremony will be small and intimate on June 27. However, we still want to get together and celebrate with others and have a "rescheduled reception" in the next few months. We are thinking of still walking in with the bridal party and everything, but what are some other ideas to make it still feel like a wedding celebration? I know the shoe game is popular, and could be fun to do and answer questions after being married for a few months already. Does anyone else have other ideas?

Re: Reception Game Ideas

• You don't need to have any games at all! All you need is good food, good drinks, and people. Music is nice if you want to have dancing. If you have an outdoor venue and there are kids attending, you can set up some lawn games like cornhole or ladder ball or whatever, but you don't have to.

Please don't make your adult guests participate in group activities.
  • Hello! My fiancé and I are getting married on June 27th, but we are splitting up the ceremony and reception part now. We both have big, close families and lots of close friends, so we felt a big wedding celebration may not be the best idea yet with Covid-19 still happening.

The ceremony will be small and intimate on June 27. However, we still want to get together and celebrate with others and have a "rescheduled reception" in the next few months. We are thinking of still walking in with the bridal party and everything, but what are some other ideas to make it still feel like a wedding celebration? I know the shoe game is popular, and could be fun to do and answer questions after being married for a few months already. Does anyone else have other ideas?
    I agree with @maine7mob.  Considering all the “safe at home” protocols and distancing measures, I have NO doubt your guests will have more than enough just being among family and friends again.  I think there is a chance that any games or activities you plan will actually go to waste as your guests will cherish the chance to catch up with everyone again!
  • People will be happy to see others and socialize, once it is safe to do so. Adding in games wouldn't make it feel like a reception, it would make it feel more like a child's birthday party. I've never heard of games being played at a reception, outside of maybe lawn games at a casual backyard thing. 

Focus on good food/bev, good music, comfortable seating and a festive atmosphere. People will be happy to celebrate. 
  • I would not want to play games at a wedding reception and personally think things like the shoe game are silly and better suited a bridal shower (I still don't like them then, but it works better).  Have some music and food and people will socialize as normal. 
  • I'd skip games. Make sure you have plenty of good food and drinks and dance music. Beyond that, people will be able to have fun by being together and dancing.
  • We plan to make our own lawn games found some great inspiration from some of the local event companies.