Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal shower questions

Who exactly throws the bridal shower? I feel like some of my BMs are assuming my mother is throwing it up I don't think my mother would know how to throw one,what to do,who to invite,ect.

Also,if my BMs are throwing it,would I know about it? I still have over 4 months until my wedding but I'll be moving out of state a month before the wedding and coming back into town 2 weeks before,which is too short of notice for any kind of shower. Should I hint to my BMs a good time for a shower to be?

I know a shower is not required but I definitely don't know how these things work. I almost want to throw my own since I know what timeline works best for my BMs and myself but would that be too weird?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal shower questions

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-questions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:da82d3e1-a9a6-4498-925d-5f9db6142226Post:41cabd0d-7345-4c3d-af52-c284eadd68bc">Bridal shower questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who exactly throws the bridal shower? I feel like some of my BMs are assuming my mother is throwing it up I don't think my mother would know how to throw one,what to do,who to invite,ect. Also,if my BMs are throwing it,would I know about it? I still have over 4 months until my wedding but I'll be moving out of state a month before the wedding and coming back into town 2 weeks before,which is too short of notice for any kind of shower. Should I hint to my BMs a good time for a shower to be? I know a shower is not required but I definitely don't know how these things work. I almost want to throw my own since I know what timeline works best for my BMs and myself but would that be too weird? Thanks!
    Posted by lauraalanna[/QUOTE]
    Who ever offers to throw it, throws it. I can be anyone, mother, FMIL, bridesmaids, etc.

Why do you think your mother is clueless on how to throw a party? Did she not have one? Has she never been to one?
    It is possible your BMs are going to surprise you, but of course I don't know lol.

And it is definitely tacky to throw your own bridal shower. It's literally the same thing as saying, "I'm throwing a party for myself where you come and bring me presents and watch me open all of them." Tacky with a capital T.

If anyone is throwing you one, unless it's a surprise, they'll probably ask you when is a good time. Even if it is a surprise, they'll probably try to figure it out, anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    You can't throw your own shower. If either your mom or BMs want to throw you one, they will figure it out (if your mom did she would probably ask for advice about the guest list). It's not that hard to throw a shower, especially with google or if you find theknot message boards:)

You won't necessarily know about your shower (sometimes they're surprises) although I would make sure your BMs know your moving schedule so they don't plan anything while you're out of town. And having a shower 2 weeks before the wedding is not that rare, it's definitely doable.
  • edited December 2011
    Anyone, except the bride, can throw the shower. If your mom or bms want to throw a shower for you, I'm sure they will try to figure out when you will be moving and returning. Make sure your family is aware of those dates.

• Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditionally, the shower is coordinated by the MOH, assisted by the BMs, and it is considered their gift to the bride.

Traditionally, the MOB or other family relative never hosted showers because it would look completely gift-grabby.

Showers are supposed to be held in a 6-week window prior to the event.  So either you need to come back one weekend before your wedding, or someone (MOH) needs to plan the shower to occur two weeks prior to the wedding when you return to your home town to get ready for the wedding.
  • lauraalannalauraalanna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!! I appreciate it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards