Wedding Woes

Wednesday? Right

Y'all, I really did have to look at the calendar before making this title.

Training went really well.  Though I still do not trust the new HR person, whatever was happening yesterday seems to have been hella nipped in the bud and I was informed HR person knew what had happened and there was no longer any issue concerning me.  So, that's good.  There are people avoiding me and there's a general air of "mad at Varuna"...but...not to be a terrible person, but I really only talk to 2 people here, so as long as they're fine (they are), I don't feel the need to address anyone else's problems that they created for themselves, TBH.  I didn't personally piss them off.  Another session today (every day this week) and one-on-one meetings.  Having a new challenge feels good and doing something that can hopefully make this a better place to work feels good too.

Otherwise, SSDD.  I'm having to work doubly hard to carry my ever burgeoning caseload (I'm positive my office manager is doing this on purpose to try and break me from carrying on overly full load and developing this new position), but I got this.  So, I might be more of a lurker for a bit.

Re: Wednesday? Right

• Glad to hear training went well! 

I’m covering at another location today and I’m salty about it. I just want my home base where I’m comfortable. It’s just such a mixed bag covering different places. 

Otherwise thank goodness it’s my “Friday” Eve. FSIL and I are hiking tonight and then I have to go home and get ready for the weekend. I’m getting labs drawn tomorrow morning so I’ll have to make sure I drink a ton of water today and tomorrow morning before work. And I have to fast after 8 on top of it. 

• Why do they all care so much @VarunaTT? It’s not like you’re getting a promotion at them. It sucks HR even bothered to get involved. 
  • Apparently BabyKitten will be solo at daycare officially next week :( The 5yr old starts school this week and the 3yr old started preschool that's in the school. It makes me sad, she was doing so well with potty training because the other girls were doing it too.
    Idk how things will be with covid and if more kids will come in, but I'm hopeful for at least one more kid :\ 

She's also been mildly picky lately, but we've discovered if we put smaller amounts on a plate a spread it out, she's more willing to try things.
    She tried 3x to eat a tomato, but kept spitting it out. I feel like if it had been diced tomatoes, she would have been more willing - she likes ketchup and chunky tomatoe sauce.

Is it weird I keep asking her to jump? If you've ever seen a 2yr old jump, it's the cutest thing ever lmao
  • Varuna - You've got this!  Glad that training went well!

I'm trying to figure out how to opt out of this stupid payroll tax deduction that tRump signed as an EO.  The tax plan screwed me out of itemizing deductions and now this nonsense.  6.2% decrease in my check through the end of the year does not help me when I have a 12% tax increase in the new year!  I hope H does the same.  Some companies aren't even doing the tax deduction and are opting out in whole - I wish we would do that too!

Its yoga night.  I have to go to Target and BJs, but I think I might wait until tomorrow.  

I'm trying to figure out how to opt out of this stupid payroll tax deduction that tRump signed as an EO.  The tax plan screwed me out of itemizing deductions and now this nonsense.  6.2% decrease in my check through the end of the year does not help me when I have a 12% tax increase in the new year!  I hope H does the same.  Some companies aren't even doing the tax deduction and are opting out in whole - I wish we would do that too!

Its yoga night.  I have to go to Target and BJs, but I think I might wait until tomorrow.  
    Same. We got screwed on the tax plan but since I’m on leave I have no idea if my company is opting out of the payroll deduction (I hope so!). A deferral does nothing for me. 
  • This tax thing: I’m going to have to look into it further.  It’s only if you make a certain amount right?  Should our company have notified us if they’re participating? I’ll already owe in 2021 for 2020 so I don’t need to owe anymore tyvm.

Tonight is trivia and probably another late night.  I’m deciding if I’m staying Tuesday at the lake house or not... sometimes 3 days is all I need. 

is your employer allowing you to choose if you participate? Most of our employers are not doing it, in part because the IRS just issued limited FAQs on Friday and it was supposed to go into effect yesterday so it is a scramble all around. DH works for the feds and does payroll system programming and he said they are requiring it for anything his system pays.  
  • I too am having trouble with what day is it? I had my last workout pre-surgery with my trainer this morning. I'm getting the house in order - cleaning and laundry so all that is done for a bit and H doesn't have to worry about it right away. He went grocery  shopping this morning so we're set there for a while. I feel a nap coming on this afternoon because it is a dreary day outside. Last night we had a socially distant dinner with some friends at their house. We did sushi carryout from a new to me and H restaurant. It was delicious. Better than the one we usually go to. Of course it is further away but worth it IMO.

Congratulations on the promotion @VarunaTT. You've got this and who cares what all those people think anyway?! @charlotte989875 - little steps at a time! A slow walk will do you wonders I'm sure. I remember when DD was about 2 weeks postpartum we took the boys on a walk. It tired her out but she said it felt good just to get out moving.
  • I too am having trouble with what day is it? I had my last workout pre-surgery with my trainer this morning. I'm getting the house in order - cleaning and laundry so all that is done for a bit and H doesn't have to worry about it right away. He went grocery  shopping this morning so we're set there for a while. I feel a nap coming on this afternoon because it is a dreary day outside. Last night we had a socially distant dinner with some friends at their house. We did sushi carryout from a new to me and H restaurant. It was delicious. Better than the one we usually go to. Of course it is further away but worth it IMO.

Congratulations on the promotion @VarunaTT. You've got this and who cares what all those people think anyway?! @charlotte989875 - little steps at a time! A slow walk will do you wonders I'm sure. I remember when DD was about 2 weeks postpartum we took the boys on a walk. It tired her out but she said it felt good just to get out moving.
    That’s exactly how I feel! I get tired really easily but it feels good to be moving again. 

Glad you got to see some friends before surgery! It’s this week right? (Or next week?) 
  • kvruns said:
    Varuna - You've got this!  Glad that training went well!

is your employer allowing you to choose if you participate? Most of our employers are not doing it, in part because the IRS just issued limited FAQs on Friday and it was supposed to go into effect yesterday so it is a scramble all around. DH works for the feds and does payroll system programming and he said they are requiring it for anything his system pays.  
    Its still unclear.  They have actually escalated my question from HR, to Payroll to the Head of Finance.  Everything is so new, so he may not have had a chance to fully review the guidelines released on Friday.  It is billing time now, so there is a lot going on in our accounting dept.  And while we are into the period with the tax deductions, our firm will not pay anyone until Sept 15, so they probably have about a week or so, until the information is due to our payroll company.  They should be able to figure this out by then - I hope!

And Pam - this is for the federal taxes taken out of your check.  So as long as you currently pay that in your pay check - then you will have it removed for the rest of the year and then doubled in the new year to make up the difference.  I think all Federal Agencies will follow the EO, but private companies can opt out, as far as I have been able to determine.
  • This tax thing: I’m going to have to look into it further.  It’s only if you make a certain amount right?  Should our company have notified us if they’re participating? I’ll already owe in 2021 for 2020 so I don’t need to owe anymore tyvm.

Tonight is trivia and probably another late night.  I’m deciding if I’m staying Tuesday at the lake house or not... sometimes 3 days is all I need. 
    Right it only applies if you make under $104,000. It doesn't surprise me your company hasn't said anything bc the IRS just released info on Friday and everyone was waiting for that info to then make a determination. 

While you can get more $ in your paycheck now through the end of the year you will have to pay it back in your paychecks Jan-April 2021. Might be good for someone hurting for money right now but it is really just passing the buck to early 2021. 
  • kvruns said:
    This tax thing: I’m going to have to look into it further.  It’s only if you make a certain amount right?  Should our company have notified us if they’re participating? I’ll already owe in 2021 for 2020 so I don’t need to owe anymore tyvm.

Right it only applies if you make under $104,000. It doesn't surprise me your company hasn't said anything bc the IRS just released info on Friday and everyone was waiting for that info to then make a determination. 

While you can get more $ in your paycheck now through the end of the year you will have to pay it back in your paychecks Jan-April 2021. Might be good for someone hurting for money right now but it is really just passing the buck to early 2021. 
    Right. My finances didnt change because of covid so I would like the taxes to stay the same!

@short+sassy, I had that censor thing too.  It’s great at first, and the idea is there, but it does fall out.  I even bought special tape that circles it and places it together but it STILL fell out.  Keep in mind I weight lift though, which is muscle flex and movement.  

• @short+sassy that’s amazing news about the CGM! I’m almost sure it will last the two weeks. I had a patient once with one in the ICU. Patient needed an MRI and we couldn’t take them to get it done while that was in their arm. (Well maybe we could have but it has metal and that wasn’t something I was willing to gamble on). It took me like twenty minutes to get it off it was stuck on so well. I was super impressed. It wasn’t going anywhere without some third party effort. Lol. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    levioosa said:
    @short+sassy that’s amazing news about the CGM! I’m almost sure it will last the two weeks. I had a patient once with one in the ICU. Patient needed an MRI and we couldn’t take them to get it done while that was in their arm. (Well maybe we could have but it has metal and that wasn’t something I was willing to gamble on). It took me like twenty minutes to get it off it was stuck on so well. I was super impressed. It wasn’t going anywhere without some third party effort. Lol. 
    I can’t remember what brand I used, but that’s complete opposite of my experience.  Mine fell out while WALKING one day.  
    Edit to add:  found it.  Libre.  The only one my insurance covered

https://www.freestylelibre.us/

• The HR person is fairly new (M) and was basically hired to start helping with a pretty massive planned expansion.  But the office has some issues with staff retention and a few other things in the system, that a planned expansion would really just break the system finally, i think.  M is trying to create a better office culture/atmosphere with examining processes and other things. 

The managing paralegal (D) is someone who is a prime example of promoted to the level of her ability....and the job she's in needs to be expanded upon and/or delegated out to other people.  Personality aside, she has refused to expand/take care of those additional duties or delegate them out.  So this is the cause of a lot of the cracks. 

I think D knew about the creation of this position and was jockeying to have one of her favorites get it.  M went and told D on Monday I was getting the position.  4:00 on Monday is when the "rumbling" as M put it, started.  I think D is the one who told at least 1, possibly 3 people (2 of them being the favorites she had recommended for the position).  M was trying to control the rumbling and figure out what was said/wasn't said/who said it, b/c people were coming into her office upset about "titles" and "audits", literally things that never came out of my mouth.

My office is a prime example of negativity and bad attitudes in the higher management rolling downhill.  It's truly the first time I've dealt with it in staff management; usually you have a bully attorney that you can't avoid.  I can avoid D, so I have, and most of the time it's okay.  I like my attorneys and my salary and so it works, even when I'm frustrated.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    kvruns said:
    This tax thing: I’m going to have to look into it further.  It’s only if you make a certain amount right?  Should our company have notified us if they’re participating? I’ll already owe in 2021 for 2020 so I don’t need to owe anymore tyvm.

Thanks for this info!  I had misunderstood and thought that whole tax thing was only on business taxes.  I didn't pay much attention.

But I think I understand now.  If I'm remembering correctly this was a Trump thing/idea.  Lots of people are suddenly going to see more money in their paychecks leading up to election time.  Many of whom won't realize that it's temporary AND they'll get hit with double taxes taken out for a few months right after Christmas.

So, it's really just a confusing paperwork clusterf**k for companies.  And a confusing, clusterf**k tax issue...in a country where taxes are already complicated and confusing...for the American people.

Overall, it sounds too temporary to be much help to most people.  In fact, I think it will be a detriment to lower income people, who typically live paycheck to paycheck.  Whatever little bit of extra money they have for the next few months will get used up.  Then, come January, their paychecks will be short whatever it normally is for a few months.  Seems like Trump is the only big winner with this policy.  How convenient.

Edited to add:  I personally hope my company doesn't throw us into this.  They haven't mentioned anything.  I'd rather my paychecks stay consistent...unless it's a raise situation of course, lol!  But also don't care enough to ask accounting or opt out (if applicable).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:

Right. My finances didnt change because of covid so I would like the taxes to stay the same!

@short+sassy, I had that censor thing too.  It’s great at first, and the idea is there, but it does fall out.  I even bought special tape that circles it and places it together but it STILL fell out.  Keep in mind I weight lift though, which is muscle flex and movement.  
    I remember you do!  You posted about it here with your review and I asked you questions about the cost.  That was some of what nudged me over to the "I can  actually afford this CGM" side.  I bought the special tape also.  I could see where doing a lot of arm work could cause it to fall off sooner than it should.

But I'm a stationary bike rider and am not that active, other than that, lol.  So I'd think my luck would be better with it staying on longer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess it's Wednesday. What's the difference anymore? 

I'm also really curious about this FICA thing. The last thing I need is to be on the hook in Q1 for a small amount of extra tax that I don't really need right now. I'm surprised my company hasn't said anything, but hopefully we'll have the option to opt out. 

SSDD. The Fedex saga continues. It's hot. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    Basically, the payroll tax "cut" was a loan that taxpayers will have to repay the government come next January through April. Everyone's going to be shocked. Not looking forward to next tax season. This one hasn't really ended.

I probably have to work on Labor Day. Many CPA firms don't give their employees Labor Day off. They give them "floating holidays" that at least for me are essentially worthless unless I want to spend the day alone, because nobody else in my life can take the day off too.

Just bored. Had to fix two returns from a client who's been giving incorrect information and then we have to twist his arm to get the right information. And admin work that's not really "client" work. SSDD. Zzzzzzzz.

Looking forward to the fantasy football. That should be fun.
  • GBCK - Happy Birthday to Buffy!  Double digits!

The head of finance got back to me and it sounds like the firm will be opting out as a whole.  He is still looking into it though.  And I didn't know until kvruns above said there is an income limit.  So it would probably mean having to adjust half the firm's employees and the other's staying the same.  That is probably more trouble than its worth!

The one thing I don't get is how is there a joint income level.  Your employer does not need to know how much your spouse earns!
  • My goodness, busy day here.  I wasn't expecting it to be busy, but so much going on.  I'm so happy that it rained, which meant I didn't have to water my plants outside, so that saved me some time.  My dog woke me up a couple times last night because she wasn't feeling well, so I'm also a little on the tired side.  Oh well, these days happen!

I had a random question for people.  I was looking over my budget and I noticed that my groceries have increased significantly over last year.  We are spending about 25% more each month than we used to.  I don't remember buying more food - in fact, I think we've been buying less because we have been limiting our trips to the store so we don't have to deal with the headaches of shopping in Covid times (not complaining - I am happy that there are restrictions put in place to keep us safe, I just want to do it as little as possible).  Is it produce - has produce gone up that much?  It can't be that we are eating at home more because we aren't really restaurant people to begin with .... and we've decreased our meat consumption this year, just because there has been less meat available.  Has anyone else noticed this food going up significantly?  

That’s exactly how I feel! I get tired really easily but it feels good to be moving again. 

Glad you got to see some friends before surgery! It’s this week right? (Or next week?) 
    Tomorrow morning first thing.
  • My supermarket bill has gone up @kerbohl although no helpful insights- I've been buying (a lot) more.
    Yay for the baby steps @charlotte989875 (pun partially intended) @MissKittyDanger 2-year-old jumps are about as cute as it gets

Another overwhelming-but-fine day at work.  Bless all of you who've been getting dressed in real clothes for weeks/months now. 
    I just brought the Back to School books down from the attic (I have a dozen or so themed book collections, mostly centered around holidays or seasons changing).  In Mo Willems' "The Pigeon HAS to Go to School" there's a photo insert on the back cover...I put a pic from the first day of school last year in it.  Mask-free, kids everywhere in the background.  It feels so long ago!
  • @kerbohl, Our grocery bill has gone up, but I mostly chalked it up to eating at home more. When it's not covid times, we typically eat out or grab take-out 2-3 times/week, plus we get convenience stuff for breakfast/lunch sometimes when we're in the office. Now we pretty much eat everything at home, with one big weekly trip. So although the groceries are higher, we're spending less overall. 

I have noticed, though, that the cost of meat and dairy have gone up, but there also aren't sales and specials like there used to be. Oh, and the cost of alcohol is going up. I did a wine shop at costco the other day and spent more than I would have a year ago. 
  • @kerbohl, I do feel like some grocery items have gone up, but not enough...or more like the majority of items are similar prices...to account for a 25% increase.  My grocery budget has really gone up, but that's because my H and I were eating out a lot less.  So, overall, we've been spending less on food.  Probably a good lesson for non-COVID times, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I feel like we're spending more on groceries.  Milk and meat have definitely went up.  We've definitely been eating out less, so at home more. Plus, I feel like we are still easing back from keeping more stock than we actually need. 

We'll not talk about our liquor bill for this year.  LOL 
    Being pregnant for most of the pandemic seriously cut our liquor bill. 

We’re definitely spending more on groceries but less oN eating out, so I feel like it’s evened out a bit. But we also are no longer paying for two cars of downtown parking & federal student loan payments were suspended so I feel like I have no real concept of our budget any more.