Wedding 911

I have some family in New York and the governor has strict restrictions...feel hopeless

I live in a state that is on the list that New York won't allow people to leave the state unless you quarantine for 2 weeks and then when you get back, you have to stay in quarantine for another 2 weeks. They actually have people on the lookout for people who don't follow these rules and then get fined $2,000. I know my sister really really wants to be there. People keep saying after election things will go back to normal. But just want to express my feelings. My fiance and I are aiming for late March or somewhere in April and our guest list is 40, but probably be less. What are you thoughts of when New York will cancel this rule?

Re: I have some family in New York and the governor has strict restrictions...feel hopeless

• I live in a state that is on the list that New York won't allow people to leave the state unless you quarantine for 2 weeks and then when you get back, you have to stay in quarantine for another 2 weeks. They actually have people on the lookout for people who don't follow these rules and then get fined $2,000. I know my sister really really wants to be there. People keep saying after election things will go back to normal. But just want to express my feelings. My fiance and I are aiming for late March or somewhere in April and our guest list is 40, but probably be less. What are you thoughts of when New York will cancel this rule?
    When people start wearing their masks and behaving in a responsible manner. 

Just include quarantining in your/ your sisters plans and it will be fine. If the restrictions are lifted by then, Great! If not, no problem you have already planned for it.

In the country I live, we have to quarantine upon returning from travel. It's not a big deal, just plan for it.
  • Exactly. This rule isn't made to inconvenience extended families at weddings; it's to try to keep families from being separated by death. So get on Facebook and start calling out Uncle Bob when he posts nonsense about masks being a commie plot to cut off oxygen to our brains (or whatever the latest is). Encourage your friends and family to get the vaccine when it's their turn. The way to get this rule relaxed is to remove the cause of it: a virus that's ravaging the world. The way to remove the virus is to strictly follow the guidelines put in place: don't have massive gatherings, wear a mask in public (and stop eating in public; the virus doesn't care why you're unmasked, just that you're an easy target), wash your hands, avoid people. And since you know about the rule, you can plan for it, and as missJeanLouise said, if you don't have to quarantine, then great, but at least you're prepared.