Wedding Etiquette Forum

Destination bachelorette - possibly go skiing/rent a cabin for the weekend

Hi everyone!
my bridesmaids have asked me what I would like to do for my bachlorette party and I really don't want to do anything too crazy and wild. I was thinking since the party would be in January, we can rent a cabin and go skiing or something? we are in the Atlanta area but would like to find somewhere that is driving distance or possibly a cheap flight. Do you guys have any suggestions? or have any of you done anything like this for a bachelorette party?!

Re: Destination bachelorette - possibly go skiing/rent a cabin for the weekend

• I trip with a flight for a bachelorette party is a huge deal where I am from. They are more local bar hopping etc. Especially during a pandemic. Maybe stick close to home instead - spa? winery? 
  • Hi everyone!
    my bridesmaids have asked me what I would like to do for my bachlorette party and I really don't want to do anything too crazy and wild. I was thinking since the party would be in January, we can rent a cabin and go skiing or something? we are in the Atlanta area but would like to find somewhere that is driving distance or possibly a cheap flight. Do you guys have any suggestions? or have any of you done anything like this for a bachelorette party?!
    There is absolutely no way I would get on board to plan to get on a plane in January.   It's the near peak of cold and flu season as it is and I would not jump at that knowing what covid-19 could look like in 4 months.   

And with the economy seeming to feel like an uneven teeter totter I would consider something that can be local.  

At that point I am assuming that outdoor events are going to be harder but would start by asking your wedding party for what they are comfortable doing, how socially distant they feel they need to be, and what their budgets are.   Also, I would not plan this yourself but this is what those planning this party for you need to consider.  

Think of fun ways to have a good time and see what could be an option.   If skiiing can be done in driving distance consider it, wine tours, or even something in the house.   A few years ago for a bachelorette we rented a house, had a cocktail making party, did a coffee tasting and cooked dinner together.   All of this was done mostly in the house and was super easy to do as the unique group of friends.   

I'm not sure if your bridesmaids are married, have kids or are living with anyone but in light of the current pandemic I'd proceed with any plan that is of lower cost and is minimizing exposure. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    Agree that I would not plan anything that involves flying. January is going to be even more dicey than now, and you risk someone being pressured into going when they're really not comfortable with the flight. 

From Atlanta, there are tons of getaway options within a short drive. You could do a cabin up near Dahlonega/Blue Ridge and go to the wineries up there. The weather is typically nice enough that you can still be outside during the day in January. The Chatahoochee National Forrest up there is gorgeous and has great hiking. There are villas and a spa at Chateau Elan near Brasselton. There's skiing up in NC, kind of near Asheville. You could also do a mountain getaway, either in the Smokeys around Pigeon Forge, or Blue Ridge area. If you wanted to do something warmer weather, you could go south to Charleston or Savannah, or Destin/30A on the other side, but the beach towns may be a bit more crowded. 
  • There is actually a ski hill in northern Alabama - Cloudmont Ski & Golf Resort (~2.5 hours from Atlanta so no need for a flight)...  It's only open for skiing a limited amount of time each year, but it does exist.  Last night I got an update for the ski industry and this year because of covid is already looking like a mess of epic proportions (many areas are going to be requiring individuals to get ready at their vehicles, appointment times, limited people riding together on lifts, gloves/masking on lifts, limited time in chalets, etc.) - obviously still tentative because the industry really doesn't get rolling for another couple months, but regulators in a lot of states still haven't allowed gyms to open and ski areas are in that category plus food/restaurant, and things like ski patrol so there's a lot going on in one spot.

In general, and especially now, stick to within a round-trip day's drive...