Wedding 911

Marriage license issue

We're getting married on Halloween on the gulf coast of MS where I'm from.  I now live in WI and is a WI resident.  Thanks to the pandemic, the stupid MS governor has made it where only MS residents can get a license in MS.  While in order to get a WI license we have to provide not just birth certificates, SS # and ID  but also proof of residency and our officiant's information (name, address, phone #).  My parents went to the courthouse in MS and they're swearing we can use a WI marriage license to get married in MS.  Yet my future MIL googled and found that marriage licenses are not transferable.  So now what are we suppose to do???

Re: Marriage license issue

• We're getting married on Halloween on the gulf coast of MS where I'm from.  I now live in WI and is a WI resident.  Thanks to the pandemic, the stupid MS governor has made it where only MS residents can get a license in MS.  While in order to get a WI license we have to provide not just birth certificates, SS # and ID  but also proof of residency and our officiant's information (name, address, phone #).  My parents went to the courthouse in MS and they're swearing we can use a WI marriage license to get married in MS.  Yet my future MIL googled and found that marriage licenses are not transferable.  So now what are we suppose to do???
    I dunno, maybe call the courthouse directly and speak to someone instead of relying on third parties and google?

• You're going to need to contact the state of MS to see.

When I was married 13 years ago in CT I needed the license issued in the state of CT.   You're going to need to look this up and/or contact the local courthouse to your parents in MS.    That is the only way to know. 
  • Call and ask. But I have never heard of having a license from a different state. 
  • Call the clerk, or if you’re using an officiant who has done a lot of ceremonies you can try them. This is going to depend on the state though so you’ll want to contact someone familiar with the MS laws. 
  • LOVE that part of MS and try to get there yearly whenever possible!!! (we used to have a family house down there)..  

Definitely pick up the phone and call the Harrison County Circuit Clerk YOURSELF!  Nothing comes up in terms of restrictions for out of state couples when doing a google search nor on their specific website.  

Pre-Requisite Information as of July 2, 2019:

1. Both parties must apply together
    2. Both parties must present a valid I.D. (Driver’s License, Birth Certificate, Military I.D., DD214, Baptismal Certificate, Life Insurance Record, School Record, or any other official document evidencing age. The Clerk shall retain a copy on file.
    3. $38.00 Cash or Credit Card
    4. If either party has been divorced within the last six (6) months, a copy of the divorce decree is required

Additional Information

1. If either applicant is under TWENTY-ONE (21) years of age, parental consent is required
    2. The female applicant must be at least fifteen (15) years of age to apply
    3. The male applicant must be at least seventeen (17) years of age to apply
    4. The license may be used only in the State of Mississippi
    5. Marriage Licenses will not be issued after 4:45pm
    Marriage License Senate Bill 2043
    1. Effective July 2nd, 2019, the Marriage License Fee will be $38.00
  • All marriage licenses are local. You need to figure out how to get a MS license.
  • Also check whether your officiant will be allowed to legally marry you in a state other than the one in which they were ordained!
  • Not surprising that they aren't allowing out of state people to obtain marriage licenses in the middle of a pandemic. It's not stupid for them to try keep their citizens safe by discouraging unnecessary travel to the state. 

You need to pick up the phone and call the courthouse yourself instead of relying on parents to do it. It's probably a good idea to do this sooner than later; if they are blocking them you're going to have to either postpone the wedding or move it. 
  • ^^^And usually, you have to apply in person for a marriage license.