Wedding Woes

Random Parenting Question

2»

Re: Random Parenting Question

• Yes - PLEASE strap the kiddo into the stroller if they are not old enough to get out and tuck and roll on their own!  

Had we gone to Disney this year we would have taken a stroller for the times that Chiquito turned into puddle.  If he wanted to just sit with no straps I wouldn't have forced him to at 5. 

But at a younger age ESPECIALLY pre/walking those straps prevent spilled baby. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2020
    @charlotte989875 cutie!!!
    Also no judgement on straps. I definitely didn't probably clip BabyKitten in during walks - mostly because she'd over heat and I'd have to take our out a lot {downside of summer babies lol}
    I never thought this was a big deal until I saw someone hit a curb with the edge of the stroller wheel and the baby fell out. One of the scariest things I have ever witnessed.
    A bit off topic, but I cringe whenever I see people riding in the back of pickup trucks.

When I was in HS, we were all coming back from lunch (open campus).  There was a pickup truck with four guys in it, two vehicles ahead of me.  The car in front of me rear-ended that pickup truck.  It was stop and go traffic to get back in the parking lot, so the car was barely moving.  But all of those guys FLEW out of the pickup truck bed and landed on the ground!  I was shocked at how high and far they went (a few feet up and a few feet away), considering what a very minor accident it was.

No one was injured other than minor cuts and bruises.  But I don't think that would have been the case if the vehicles had been going a more typical 25-35 MPH speeds.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 cutie!!!
    Also no judgement on straps. I definitely didn't probably clip BabyKitten in during walks - mostly because she'd over heat and I'd have to take our out a lot {downside of summer babies lol}
    I never thought this was a big deal until I saw someone hit a curb with the edge of the stroller wheel and the baby fell out. One of the scariest things I have ever witnessed.
    A bit off topic, but I cringe whenever I see people riding in the back of pickup trucks.

When I was in HS, we were all coming back from lunch (open campus).  There was a pickup truck with four guys in it, two vehicles ahead of me.  The car in front of me rear-ended that pickup truck.  It was stop and go traffic to get back in the parking lot, so the car was barely moving.  But all of those guys FLEW out of the pickup truck bed and landed on the ground!  I was shocked at how high and far they went (a few feet up and a few feet away), considering what a very minor accident it was.

No one was injured other than minor cuts and bruises.  But I don't think that would have been the case if the vehicles had been going a more typical 25-35 MPH speeds.   
    One of DH's trivia buddies is a paraplegic due to injuries he sustained while riding in the flat bed of a pickup truck.  

Slight rant:  This is part of why I take issue with the bullshit "We did those things and we survived!" as some justification regarding why doing them now is bad.  Well, those who didn't survived aren't here to talk asshat. 
  • So I've seen both sides happen - like seatbelts.

I know safety reasons, but also a friend of mine had her stroller knocked into by a cyclist, and unfortunately because the child was locked in, the carseat hit him when it fell over.

It's a double edged sword. I would buckle, but not tighten in carseat while in stroller going for walks. Obv that's different now with her in front part {or barely in stroller because she constantly wants out *eye roll* that's fun}
  • So I've seen both sides happen - like seatbelts.

I know safety reasons, but also a friend of mine had her stroller knocked into by a cyclist, and unfortunately because the child was locked in, the carseat hit him when it fell over.

It's a double edged sword. I would buckle, but not tighten in carseat while in stroller going for walks. Obv that's different now with her in front part {or barely in stroller because she constantly wants out *eye roll* that's fun}
    Sorry no it is not a double edged sword nor are seatbelts. They’re both designed to provide as much safety as possible as often as possible. The existence of isolated instances where a car or stroller accident might have been better without a seatbelt or straps doesn’t change that. 
  • banana468 said:

One of DH's trivia buddies is a paraplegic due to injuries he sustained while riding in the flat bed of a pickup truck.  

Slight rant:  This is part of why I take issue with the bullshit "We did those things and we survived!" as some justification regarding why doing them now is bad.  Well, those who didn't survived aren't here to talk asshat. 
    Speaking of old timey, dangerous child things.  When I was about 4 years old myself, I accidentally broke my baby sister's collar bone!

This was mid-70s.  When a crib side was brought down by a handy flick of a lever that could be done with one's foot.  I was playing peek-a-boo with her, by hiding under her crib, and then popping back up.  We were having so much fun!  We were both smiling and laughing and, of course, she is hanging on the side of the crib looking down and waiting for me to pop back up.

I accidentally hit that lever and she went tumbling out of the crib.  I don't remember much from when I was 4, but I remember that day.  My poor mom!  My sister is screaming bloody murder because she is in horrible pain.  I'm crying, because she is crying and its my fault she was hurt.

Thankfully, there was no permanent damage and my sister is too young to remember it.  But her injuries could have been so much worse and she even could have died.  The whole trajectory of her life, my life, and my family's life could have been so very terrible and different (shudder).  All from an innocent mistake a toddler made with a poorly designed crib.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

Speaking of old timey, dangerous child things.  When I was about 4 years old myself, I accidentally broke my baby sister's collar bone!

This was mid-70s.  When a crib side was brought down by a handy flick of a lever that could be done with one's foot.  I was playing peek-a-boo with her, by hiding under her crib, and then popping back up.  We were having so much fun!  We were both smiling and laughing and, of course, she is hanging on the side of the crib looking down and waiting for me to pop back up.

I accidentally hit that lever and she went tumbling out of the crib.  I don't remember much from when I was 4, but I remember that day.  My poor mom!  My sister is screaming bloody murder because she is in horrible pain.  I'm crying, because she is crying and its my fault she was hurt.

Thankfully, there was no permanent damage and my sister is too young to remember it.  But her injuries could have been so much worse and she even could have died.  The whole trajectory of her life, my life, and my family's life could have been so very terrible and different (shudder).  All from an innocent mistake a toddler made with a poorly designed crib.
    Right around the time I was pregnant with Chiquita they pulled drop side cribs off the market entirely.   When I registered the one we had did not have any movable sides.   The mattress could only be raised or lowered manually in it's placement like a bookshelf.  
  • levioosa said:
    So I've seen both sides happen - like seatbelts.

I know safety rakingeasons, but also a friend of mine had her stroller knocked into by a cyclist, and unfortunately because the child was locked in, the carseat hit him when it fell over.

Sorry but it’s not a “double edged sword.” The best way to keep a child safe is in a well buckled seat without bulky clothing, full stop. That also goes for adults and seatbelts and air bags. 
    I thought she was talking about in a stroller, and you can put kids in coats while in carseats in a stroller. I also don't think they need to be as tightly buckled in a stroller.
  • levioosa said:
    So I've seen both sides happen - like seatbelts.

I know safety rakingeasons, but also a friend of mine had her stroller knocked into by a cyclist, and unfortunately because the child was locked in, the carseat hit him when it fell over.

Sorry but it’s not a “double edged sword.” The best way to keep a child safe is in a well buckled seat without bulky clothing, full stop. That also goes for adults and seatbelts and air bags. 
    I thought she was talking about in a stroller, and you can put kids in coats while in carseats in a stroller. I also don't think they need to be as tightly buckled in a stroller.
    I was reading it as whether to buckle at all in a stroller.