Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

We are having 2 weddings because of COVID.. how do you celebrate both dates?

Hello! Our state shut down 10 days before our wedding on March 28, 2020. We postponed everything we had booked and decided to have a small ceremony with just our families on March 28. Our postponed wedding is this Saturday, November 7, 2020. We are having another ceremony and are writing our own vows this time.

Did any other COVID brides have two weddings like this? Are you planning to celebrate both dates? We're not sure how to deal with the November 7 date since we're already legally married, but we're having another ceremony anyways. I'd love to hear how other couples are dealing with that! 

Re: We are having 2 weddings because of COVID.. how do you celebrate both dates?

• snesmith6 said:
    Hello! Our state shut down 10 days before our wedding on March 28, 2020. We postponed everything we had booked and decided to have a small ceremony with just our families on March 28. Our postponed wedding is this Saturday, November 7, 2020. We are having another ceremony and are writing our own vows this time.

Did any other COVID brides have two weddings like this? Are you planning to celebrate both dates? We're not sure how to deal with the November 7 date since we're already legally married, but we're having another ceremony anyways. I'd love to hear how other couples are dealing with that! 
    If you're talking about which date you'd celebrate, it's the date you were married on. So, March 28th. 

Are you having a scaled back wedding? I hope you have some protocols in place, because I can't imagine it'd be much fun having Covid through the holidays...
  • Own up to being married and treat this as a vow renewal.

And while you exchange vows I do hope you have serious protocols in place.   This is a scary time and I know three people who contracted covid from attending a wedding. 
  • Agree with PPs, your wedding date was March 28th. November is a celebration with a vow renewal. I also want to echo the need to have plenty of precautions in place to mitigate the spread of Covid. My son's 42 year old former high school english teacher died of covid this week. It isn't going away anytime soon.
  • I am so sorry that happened to you all!  It's terrible for all the couples who were supposed to get married this year, but I'm sure it was an extra sting to have it so close.

I suppose it is up to you and your H as to which date you want to use as your anniversary.  

But, to be honest, I'm not sure why this is even a question.  You all were married on March 28th.  That's when the marriage started.  That's what matters and is the most important part, even if it wasn't what you all planned or how you all envisioned it.

And just to repeat the other PP's, please use all and every precaution to keep yourselves and your guests as safe as possible.  And be understanding if guests decline because they are concerned about their health, even if they are VIPs.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Adding to what others said, it may be helpful to think of your anniversary as the date of your vows (March 28) and not the date of your party (Nov 7), even if you renew your vows on that date. Also, you do need to tell your guests you're already married. You can even work that into your renewal vows, since you're writing them. 
  • I’d celebrate your anniversary on March 28th, since it's the day you were married.  I hope your party this past Saturday was nice!
  • I would also celebrate your anniversary on March 28 because that was your actual wedding date.