Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday Full of Woe

Re: Thursday Full of Woe

• Options
    @VarunaTT People are awful. Thinking of you and your friends right now. Nobody deserves that kinda stuff :(

@mrsconn23 good grief .... 
    Do you guys have early vote days? Like when we have any type of election, there's like a few days a week before you can vote. {non-pandemic times I mean}

Most states allow early in person voting, and I believe those votes have generally been counted and reported and aren’t the hold up. But most places didn’t push early in person voting (NY is a big exception to that). 
  • Options
    MO doesn't usually allow any early voting.  We have "absentee" in-person voting where you can go to the courthouse, tell your reason for not being able to vote in person and vote early that way.  So, it's a workaround and one that was used heavily this year. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2020
    mrsconn23 said:
    Guys wtf is happening? Google is showing up to date but no movement

WHERE IS THE STALL!? Is it still Nevada?
    There's a LOT of things in play right now.

GA is still processing votes and apparently there was an 'upload' issue with one county. 
    PA is also still processing and had to set aside ~30k votes because of some clerical issue.  The election commission needs to convene and discuss. 
    NV, AZ, and NC are still counting. 
    USPS swept and found thousands of votes.  If they have a 11/03 postmark, they will be counted. 
    Remember, several states were slowed by legislatures and were unable to start counting until Tuesday.  
    It's working the way it's supposed to.  It's an arduous, manual process.  

It's also fucking maddening and I'm about to jump out of my skin. 
    Good friggen lord .... I thought AZ had gone blue already?

So USPS lost votes? *face palm*

I mean at least it's going the way it's "suppose to" but still .... Canada doesn't do mailers unless you don't live in the country {and if Parliament hadn't agreed on stuff, we would have done an election this year}
    I think that's mostly true in the US, usually.  But I'm pretty sure it's more of a state issue than a Federal one, so it can also vary widely.  I know many states expanded the requirements for mail-in voting this year because of the pandemic.

Which despite all of Trump's bitching and unsubstantiated claims it will cause massive voter fraud, it was the right thing to do.  It would be horrible for people to not vote because they are too worried about exposure for their health.

Plus Trump obviously doesn't give two s**ts about voter fraud.  If mail-in voting was expected to favor him, he would have been sending 20 tweets/day to mail-in your vote.  "Fraud" was just the thread he was hanging on to, to block as many people who more than likely wouldn't vote for him as possible.

As an aside, Louisiana was one of only about 5ish states that didn't do jack about changing mail-in voting requirements.  It's difficult to mail-in vote here.  Even having multiple medical problems that puts a person at high risk for COVID was not an acceptable reason.  Though being in a hospital, nursing home, or have a disability that makes it difficult to vote are acceptable reasons.

But any of those medical reasons need to be supported by documentation and/or physician letters, way ahead of time.  I'd guess at least two months before the election.  Because new potential mail-in voters need to apply for it.  Wait for the decision to be made.  Get their ballot in the mail.  Then mail it back out, on time.

Edited to add:  I just saw your question about early voting.  I'm pretty sure most states had that this year.  The days varied.  We did in Louisiana, but we usually do.  That wasn't special for this election.  Ours was about a 10-day period between Oct. 16th-Oct 27th, ie the last day was one week before the election.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @VarunaTT
    i'm so sorry about your friend and about all the work and COVID bullshit.  
  • Options
    @STARMOON44, I'm sorry to hear that. She's being BSC.
    @charlotte989875, good luck to your H.

As for me, I'm not feeling much better than BSC myself right now. Still feeling like I'm on a wave machine that won't stop between the election and my job search. 
  • Options
    Varuna - Take your PTO and they can fuck off.  And I'm so sorry that happened to your friend and that they can find who did it and prosecute them.

Jen - Hugs for you.

Starmoon - Everyone has levels of comfort in this and your friend should be more understanding.  No one has seen my oldest brother since last Thanksgiving, since he was sick and didn't come down for Christmas (he live 2-3s hours away from the rest of us).  I invited him to join us at a museum while on vacation and a bit north of him, he declined. I also suggested we stop somewhere for an outdoor lunch of his choosing near his place.  He again declined and said he was "covid paranoid", so we just met up at a mall parking lot, he gave me the Christmas presents the kids didn't get and a few other things.  And that was that, I didn't pressure him or give him any push back.

S+S - PA is actually pretty red.  What can push it blue are the Philly and Pittsburgh cities and surrounding suburbs.  And there is a lot of land in between those cities!  They also almost rotate back and forth from R to D governors, but the legislature is typically red.

Put me in the boat that wants more results and soon!  Even my local elections don't have formalized winners yet!

I'm in the office today and will pop over to the chiropractor shortly.  Her office is next to my building, so its always a quick visit.  I'm picking up Fish and Chips from my favorite place too and will take that home for dinner.
  • Options
    Me and H potentially have Covid. H works at a hospital but we have otherwise been pretty cautious. I am trying not to freak out, but we are waiting on test results. I came down with a sore throat Tuesday and stayed home from work. H started feeling bad yesterday. and left work early. He is worse off then me feeling chest pressure and super weak. I am attempting to work from home today while still not feeling 100% while also tending to my two kids under 5, wish me luck! I have a rare moment of quiet as H and my youngest are napping and I handed my 5yo her tablet.
  • Options
    @Jstump2 healthy vibes for you and H! 

• Options
    @OliveOilsMom, thanks for the political info on PA.  I've always thought of it as a swing state, so I assumed it wasn't necessarily "Republican land".

As for cities, I noticed that with some of the states I drilled down on!  Even in solid Republican states, the bigger cities usually voted Democrat.  It's like it's city vs. small town/country.

In my perfect world, we'd totally get rid of the archaic and unnecessary (in our present times) electoral college and go with the popular vote.  In my second perfect...and more achievable world...all the states (for the future) should AT LEAST break up their electoral votes to more accurately reflect what their voters want.  Instead of this "all or nothing" total bs.

It's unfair to everyone, including both parties.  It's part of the problem that we don't have better voter turnout usually.  Because, unless your in a potential swing state, your vote really doesn't count for the presidency. 

The two states with the most amount of electoral votes are CA and TX.  They conveniently went D and R for my example.  The Republicans won some of the counties in northern CA.  In my vision, they would have been given a portion of CA's electoral votes.  For TX, Biden won almost all the big cities, so he would have been given some of the TX electoral votes.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that should happen now.  You can't change the rules once the ball is in play.  But splitting up the electoral votes...only two states do...should have been done years ago.  I'm sick of seeing this same scenario play out every four years. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FX for negative results @Jstump2
  • Options
    @short+sassy funny you should mention the ridiculous electoral college as well as TX...the History teachers were all saying today that there’s a chance Texas will eventually go blue, as the cities are growing and voting solidly blue.  In that case Republicans would definitely want to throw out the electoral college!

Sending all the healthiest vibes @Jstump2
  • Options
    @Jstump2, that sounds scary, though it is getting to that time of year when there is a lot of "normal" illness going around so I hope it's something minor like that.  Sending out healthy vibes to both you and your H.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh no @Jstump2!  Fingers crossed for both of you.  Regardless, I hope you both start feeling better soon.  
  • Options
    Here’s an afternoon update from my friend if anyone is interested!

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    BOTH GA SENATE RACES ARE GOING TO A RUNOFF!  

This means the senate IS NOT lost yet.  
    I'm confused
  • Options
    Jstump2 - Crossing everything for a negative.

MrsConn - Time to send more money to GA! 

I do wonder, that if there is a 50/50 split in the Senate, does that mean the Dems will be considered the Majority, since Madam Vice President Harris would be the tie breaker vote?  Charlotte - do you know that answer? 
  • Options

I do wonder, that if there is a 50/50 split in the Senate, does that mean the Dems will be considered the Majority, since Madam Vice President Harris would be the tie breaker vote?  Charlotte - do you know that answer? 
    My google says yes. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

My google says yes. 
    MrsConn & Google are correct! Dems would be the majority because of the tie breaker. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    mrsconn23 said:

My google says yes. 
    MrsConn & Google are correct! Dems would be the majority because of the tie breaker. 
    If I'm remembering my long ago Civics class right, breaking Senate ties is about the only "official" duty the VP has, lol.

Edited to add:  Louisiana has a similar policy.  Various government positions need to be won by X amount or it goes to a run-off between the top two who got the most votes.  That usually happens in our governor races (we didn't have one this year).  It did happen with the District Attorney for NOLA, so our run-off election is (I think) the first Sat. in Dec.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen with the one Senate seat we had up for vote.  That Republican guy (Bill Cassidy) has been up Trumps ass all four years,  and won by such a large margin, there is no run-off.  The Dem party did NOT help themselves with that.  I know they can't necessarily stop people from running, but there were two main Dem candidates in that race who ended up splitting the Dem vote.  But even if you combined all the Dem candidates votes, it was still 40% to 59%.  Kind of glad the "split" didn't matter, lol.  Because that would have drive me nuts!  So now I'm just my normal annoyed that 59% of Louisiana voters suck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Has anyone called the second Georgia runoff? 
  • Options
    Has anyone called the second Georgia runoff? 
    It was looking that way this afternoon.  But I think all these close races are being held back because of the presidential election.  They can't call anything until the votes for president are made official. 
  • Options
    Fair enough. Purdue is sitting on 49.978% right now. (Yes, I'm sitting here with a calculator.)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    On a whimsical tangent, I want an amendment on the ballot next year to change Louisiana's state abbreviation from LA to LO LS.

I always feel the need to fully spell my state's name out, lest people confuse it with the very large city in CA.  I mean, I live here.  And when I see "LA", I think of the CA city first, lol.

I just did a Google search to see who was bigger, population-wise.  Because I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Los Angeles vs. the whole state of LA.  Yeah!  We're bigger!  Barely, lol.  3.99M (Los Angeles) vs. 4.66M (Louisiana).

Edited to add:  I discussed this with my coworkers after my post.  They agreed with my premise, but didn't like LO.  We debated on the best abbreviation and unanimously decided it should be LS instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Nevermind. Don't want to jinx anything. 
  • Options
    @short+sassy thank you for saying you live in LA and still mix up Los Angeles and Louisisanna.  Same!  Who thought of that abbreviation anyway? It’s totallty LO

• Options
    @short+sassy thank you for saying you live in LA and still mix up Los Angeles and Louisisanna.  Same!  Who thought of that abbreviation anyway? It’s totallty LO
    I think Maine's abbreviation (ME) looks weird.  There's just something not right about it, lol.  But there are a lot of states that start with an "M" and I'm pretty sure all of Maine's other letters are taken.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker