Wedding Woes

Tuesday

It’s forecasted to be 75 degrees and sunny today. In November. Thankfully in just 2.5 months we’ll have a President that recognizes climate change is real. 

Work just got super busy. The baby has decided he’s starving every 1.5 to 2 hours and is getting up an extra time at night. Yay. 

Re: Tuesday

• Me: weather is so nice! I love it
    Matt: climate change
    Me: we can be outside without freezing
    Matt: the earth is dying
    Me: Look no sweater! Just a tshirt
    Matt: ....
    Me: ....
    Matt: ....
    Me: Let me be ignorant and enjoy this for a bit!
    Matt: as long as you know ...

Literally us constantly!

BK had piece 2 - no reaction.
    Anxiety is high right now. We're expecting her to react and it's just .... idk. It's scary.

Last night I just hugged BK for awhile and I think she felt I needed it because she stayed and played with my hair and rubbing her little cheek on mine.
    Maybe she needed it a bit too? Idk. Felt comforting at the time.
  • I caught a cold yesterday, but am not feeling too bad yet.  I came to work, especially because I had a report I needed to get out today.  But in this new era of Corona, I'm not sure what to do.  We aren't supposed to come to work if we're sick, but then the caveat to that is "if you're sick and there isn't another explanation for it" or something like that.  It's definitely a cold...scratchy throat and stuffed up nose...none of the COVID symptoms.  

I'm thinking about leaving at lunch time and taking a sick day tomorrow.  And ask my boss in my e-mail how he wants me to handle it.  Like, come into the office as long as I'm feeling well enough?  WFH or take sick time until I have no symptoms?  Which, for me and colds, could be days.

My H and I got some bad news from one of our tenants this morning, though not unexpected.  This is the couple where one of them got arrested and was sent to another state for an outstanding warrant.  He will be getting out of jail on Thurs., but will have an ankle monitor and needs to stay in that state, so they need to end their lease.  She said she moved their stuff out?  So I guess she returned to NOLA at some point to do that.  My H and I are going to go over there today or tomorrow and see how the place looks (crossing fingers).  They usually kept it in great condition, but we're assuming they left a bunch of stuff behind despite her words.

She told us we could keep the security deposit (sd) for December's rent.  But, assuming there isn't much to do to get it ready for showings, I'm hopeful we can have it rented out fairly quickly.  I know she isn't expecting to get any of her deposit back but, as long as I'm not out any money, I'd love to be able to return all/most of the SD.  They're good people who had something bad happen and, while they are breaking their lease two months early, I appreciate they are being as responsible about it as they can.

She contacted my H, but I'm also going to reach out to her later today to wish them well.  Let her know we understand and she can use me as a landlord reference in the future.

They had become friends also, so we are bummed all around that they are gone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So my exam is Feb 4th, but I've been making a list of things I wanna treat myself to afterwards

This is one. AND IT'S ON SALE NOW!!!
    https://www.dynamiteclothing.com/ca/p/dani-sleeveless-vest/10005822106V.html

I've donated 2 blazers and a vest recently so I need to replace. Vest was because fit was weird and blazers were because they were cheaply made and just not working {kept 1 because it's my only plain black vest}

I also like this top in the grey but also the rose? {you can see what it looks like better in the rose colour}
    https://www.dynamiteclothing.com/ca/p/brushed-crew-neck-sweatshirt/10006261707X.html

I've also got Lush order I wanna do.
    Haircut.
    And I wanna buy some overtone colour because I'm just itching to colour my hair something fun.
    May just get my stylist to do the purple again just in large area and hold off on overtone stuff ....
  • Yesterday we had a bonus in person book club because of the weather. We had figured that October was our last out door gathering but the weather was so great we met yesterday! It was glorious. I so crave human contact. I mean I love H but.......LOL! We each brought our own lunch and the host provided a dessert and beverage. Today is our last day of great weather. I'm trying to get H to put up outdoor Christmas lights so we aren't doing it in the freezing cold. We wouldn't turn them on until after Thanksgiving. However, he isn't moving too fast on that. He actually doesn't move fast on anything. 

I'm waiting for Thanksgiving plans to come crashing down on us. All my kids plus the grandboys are suppose to be here. Chicago has the travel ban so unless that is lifted today DD and family won't be here. I'm waiting for DS1 and DIL to cancel on us - I wouldn't be at all surprised. I'm also thinking I need to gather Christmas presents to start wrapping to potentially mail to all of them. We were all planning to gather after Christmas since they all are going to their respective ILs for Christmas this year. DS2 will come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas no matter what. He is only a 2 hour drive away so doesn't even stop on the way back. This virus just gets suckier and suckier!

I'm tired of all the Republicans who are supporting Trump and his craziness. H just read an article about him (Trump) fundraising to pay for the recounts. The small print says that part of the money goes directly to him. Why do people not realize what a loser he is - in so many ways!
  • Update:  Weeellll, that escalated quickly!  My H and our friend went by that recently vacated house for the tenants I just mentioned.  They get there and the door wasn't even locked.  Aaannnnddd the f**king refrigerator is missing!  I doubt she took it, but when you leave the place unsecured like that...no sign of a break-in, just the door unlocked...things get stolen.  I guess at this point, I should just be glad the thief didn't take the oven and washer/dryer also, smh.

And, just like we suspected, they left a huge mess and all kinds of crap behind.  Though, at least from first glace, it doesn't look like there are damages.

But the missing fridge is huge, especially with the appliance shortage going on.  Even basic new ones are $720.  A used one is $300-$400, which I guess would be a more accurate accounting of it.  But so much for her security deposit ($850) covering December's rent if we don't get a tenant right away, smh.  Between the missing fridge, the mess, and the break lease fee, that SD is more than gone.

Whatever.  Onward and upward.  When we had vacancies just a few months ago, rental demand was pretty hot.  I'm really hoping we can get a new tenant in by Dec. 1st or close to it.  We wouldn't be out too much money if we get December's rent covered.  I'm also going to raise the rent by $50/month.  $900/month is still a little below market and we JUST had brand new, double paned windows installed last weekend.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  oh shit that went real crazy real quick! :O 
  • Our Thanksgiving I think is looking like the 4 of us, MIL & FIL and my uncle.  I can't see how it can work with more than those people at the table.    My mom and dad can't make it and I can't see mingling so far outside our zone. 

• It's been warm here too, but mid 70's isn't outside the norm for us this time of year. More often than not we hang out outside during the day on thanksgiving. The part that's surprising me is the number of storms this year. My ILs in Miami are getting drenched by Eta right now. 

I'm also kind of dumbfounded by the continued BS from the republicans. There are two senate runoff races happening here. In one, the R is a trump kiss ass who campaigned in the general on being a trump kiss ass. The other R is probably not any more moderate, but he's more of a traditional politician and ran on a more moderate platform. Now both of them have aligned to demand the resignation of the R Sec of State, based on mythical fraud. So basically the trump section of the party is attacking the sane section of the party. I don't understand how this strategy is supposed to help them in the runoff, but I'm kind of hoping for some fireworks. 

Nothing else interesting going on. My BIL will be in town for a few days later this week. His mother (my SMIL) is not doing well, so he's driving down to see her and will stop on his way back. He thinks it's probably time to either get her some fulltime care or look at other options. H doesn't have a great relationship with FIL or SMIL, so it's a little bit of a challenge to figure out his place in this. 
  • I'm glad good weather a little longer has been working out for those of you in colder climates.  Especially considering COVID puts a wrench in indoor activities.

We haven't had spikes in a long time down here in NOLA.  Such a blessing and I continually cross my fingers it stays that way.  In fact, our mayor opened things up a little more, starting tomorrow.  Some of that is being attributed to the fact that this is our "good weather" time, ie people want to be outdoors anyway.  Highs are in the low 70s and lows are in the high 50s, roughly speaking, and this is continuing for at least the next 10 days.  Lots of sunshine. 

We are tentatively planning an outdoor Thanksgiving feast with a couple of our neighbors.  The temperatures should be fine, but rain could put a kibosh on it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34 said:
    @short+sassy I’m sorry for all the craziness!

It’s in the 70s for the second day in a row.  Mid-60s over the weekend was nice for a backyard gathering, but this is too hot for November.

Thanksgiving is going to be different for us too.  It’s usually 30-35 people at my parents’ house, but they decided no extended family this year, just our pod (my parents and siblings).  We’re between either dinner outside in the yard if the weather is warm, or my mom just proposed separate tables for each household, six feet apart, but together.  Just so masks can come off indoors to eat.  We’ll see..
    This is interesting- will you guys do masks inside (just off to eat?)
  • Thanksgiving is usually with my extended family, but we are just having dinner the 3 of us.  ILs said they want to do dessert, so we said that can be done here too.  I was kinda hoping to avoid all family for the holiday, but no dice.  

Today is the last of our warm temps too.  It was a nice little bonus, but I was at urgent care this morning to make sure my soar throat is nothing serious.  It's just post nasal drip from my allergies acting up again due to the warm temps.  Hoping it goes away very quick.  My rapid strep test was negative, but they are sending the other one out, just in case.  I also slept like 2 and 1/2 hours last night - so I'm more tired than anything else today.

My email mailbox for the office is about to max out.  I was doing so well on saving my emails, but I got out of habit and its grown too big!  That will be my afternoon! 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2020
    ei34 said:
    @short+sassy I’m sorry for all the craziness!

It’s in the 70s for the second day in a row.  Mid-60s over the weekend was nice for a backyard gathering, but this is too hot for November.

Thanksgiving is going to be different for us too.  It’s usually 30-35 people at my parents’ house, but they decided no extended family this year, just our pod (my parents and siblings).  We’re between either dinner outside in the yard if the weather is warm, or my mom just proposed separate tables for each household, six feet apart, but together.  Just so masks can come off indoors to eat.  We’ll see..
    This is interesting- will you guys do masks inside (just off to eat?)
    We’ve been masking indoors so far.  It hasn’t been a big deal because over the summer at my parents’ pool, and even the last couple months, the visit has been in someone’s yard, including meal time. So if one of my kids or I has to pop into whoever’s house to use the bathroom, for example, we throw a mask on.  Which was perfect for warmer weather.  Our winters are cold so we are trying to figure out how our weekly gatherings will look in the coming months.  We don’t want to not see each other so it may be visits inside, with masks.  We’re still figuring out the details. But yes, right now Thanksgiving will probably be masks until meal time, which we’ll eat at separate tables.

eta spelling 
  • That's interesting @ei34. Outside of my bubble, I mask both indoors and out. Within our bubble we don't mask indoors (or out obviously). Maybe if I suggest that to DS1, he and DIL would be more comfortable being around us. The grandsons are use to masking outdoors (or away from their house), but I'm not sure how they would react to masking indoors at our house - they are only 2 1/2. 
  • So...Pence is on a vacation, Pompeo just said there will be a 'smooth transition to a second Trump term', but the ACA might be saved?!   71 more damn days of this circus.  It seems there are more members of congress starting to accept reality.  The world at large has been acknowledging the results.  Turkey just sent their congrats today. 

They're not bringing anyone back to the office before the end of the year.  I knew this was coming.  I'm glad they've decided and are done with it for now.  Not that it affects me, but I know it was driving people on my team batty with all the back and forth.  I bet we won't see a back to office plan until at least February since 1st quarter is our busy season. 

My allergies have kicked back up because of the warmer weather.  Plus we've had tons of bees around.  I'm wearing a tank top.  This is very dumb in November. 

DefConn's school has had 4 cases in the last week.  Two were teachers. An entire class is quarantined. I wonder what the threshold is for closing the whole thing down.  My nephew's school is closed today and they're going to hybrid through Thanksgiving break.  My sister hates hybrid because my nephew dicks around too much instead of doing his work. 

SSDD otherwise.  
  • @short+sassy I would get tested for COVID. My managers daughter just tested positive. Her only symptom was congestion. I tested my manager today because she has body aches and some congestion as well. Of course she’s the one employee I spend the most time with. I always wear a mask but I’ll test myself on Thursday to be sure. I’m tempted to test myself today and on Thursday. Per protocol we don’t have to test if we have contact, only if we develop symptoms. I was supposed to go to a family pre-Thanksgiving on Saturday but now I don’t know. It depends on my manager’s test and then my own test. I hate how non-specific COVID symptoms are (other than loss of taste/smell which is pretty much a huge tell). 

So today is the worst. Staff is bitching at me so much and I’m ready to snap. The lack of critical thinking is making my eye twitch. We’re beyond busy, my manager won’t be here for the next few days, and now I’m unsure about my weekend plans. I’m so annoyed. 

• This is me basically.

Sarah Andersen on Twitter
  • @levioosa and @STARMOON44, thanks for the input.  I'll take a sick day tomorrow and go get a test.  I'll talk to my boss if I should stay home from work and/or WFH until I get the results back or what they want me to do.  I just feel like I'm making a huge deal about a common cold.  But I hear ya, it's better safe than sorry.

FWIW, I don't have a loss of smell or taste.  I also don't have a fever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A coworker's son has it and only has the loss of smell.   The symptom range is pretty huge. 
  • So @charlotte989875 what have your political science friends said regarding the current status and issues like Pompeo as SoS refusing to accept the election results?  Is the feeling that this is to hold out until the electors convene and ratify the results and thereby reducing Biden's official funding and transition process or is there something that they can try to pull here?
  • banana468 said:
    So @charlotte989875 what have your political science friends said regarding the current status and issues like Pompeo as SoS refusing to accept the election results?  Is the feeling that this is to hold out until the electors convene and ratify the results and thereby reducing Biden's official funding and transition process or is there something that they can try to pull here?
    Bad but not panicking (yet). A lot of what I’ve seen is that this is an effort for trump to fundraise so that he can use it toward reducing campaign debt. Once the electors meet there really is no question that a transition will happen. My guess is all the lawsuits will be thrown out over the next few weeks & they won’t fight that. But then again nothing about this administration is normal. 

However the Pompeo thing does unnerve me a bit; it’s one thing for Mitch McConnell & Marco Rubio to say there’s election fraud- quite another when it’s our Secretary of State.