Students

Dental School, FAFSA Issues

So my fiance and I are getting married on July 11th and both attending graduate programs the following fall. He's starting dental school at a private school so he's going to be needing financial aid. Because of this- he brought up that we could elope early (only telling parents/siblings) so that we can both qualify for better financial aid and still have our wedding in July. Wondering if anyone has done this, I just worry about not feeling like it's our wedding day on our scheduled wedding day?

Re: Dental School, FAFSA Issues

• You are correct because your wedding would not be in July..  Unless you're getting sacramentally married somewhere like the Vatican that requires civil ceremonies to take place first in one's home country, the earlier date would become your wedding date.  
  • So my fiance and I are getting married on July 11th and both attending graduate programs the following fall. He's starting dental school at a private school so he's going to be needing financial aid. Because of this- he brought up that we could elope early (only telling parents/siblings) so that we can both qualify for better financial aid and still have our wedding in July. Wondering if anyone has done this, I just worry about not feeling like it's our wedding day on our scheduled wedding day?
    You're right, if you were to get married earlier, July would no longer be your wedding date. The day you get married will be your wedding day. Beyond that, people always find out when you try to keep these things secret. They'll be hurt and upset that you lied to them. 

Outside of that, this is probably pointless. 1) Your wedding is planned before school starts. If he has to file a FAFSA before the wedding, you can amend it right after. 2) The biggest FAFSA benefit to marrying is that you're then considered independent and don't have to consider your parents' income. But that only matters for undergrad. Graduate students are independent by default. 
  • So my fiance and I are getting married on July 11th and both attending graduate programs the following fall. He's starting dental school at a private school so he's going to be needing financial aid. Because of this- he brought up that we could elope early (only telling parents/siblings) so that we can both qualify for better financial aid and still have our wedding in July. Wondering if anyone has done this, I just worry about not feeling like it's our wedding day on our scheduled wedding day?
    You're right, if you were to get married earlier, July would no longer be your wedding date. The day you get married will be your wedding day. Beyond that, people always find out when you try to keep these things secret. They'll be hurt and upset that you lied to them. 

Outside of that, this is probably pointless. 1) Your wedding is planned before school starts. If he has to file a FAFSA before the wedding, you can amend it right after. 2) The biggest FAFSA benefit to marrying is that you're then considered independent and don't have to consider your parents' income. But that only matters for undergrad. Graduate students are independent by default. 
    This is what I was coming to say; getting married early won’t impact your financial aid status because you’ll both be independent while in grad school. 
  • Whether it is two people with an officiant at a courthouse or two people in front of a crowd of 300+, the absolute most important thing about your wedding is...getting married.  That's the day that matters.  That's the day the marriage starts.

It's fine if you want to have a "celebration of marriage" party at another time but, no, of course that isn't your wedding.  And as long as you are honest with your guests that you are already married.  However, it sounds like your all's plan would be lying to almost all your guests, if you all decide to get married before your July event.  Why would you all think that's okay?  It's not.  It's really messed up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's very complicated situation. I think that it's only up to you to decide what to do. If you have doubts about the current plan, maybe, it's not worth to do this way? I'm also planning a wedding, but soon will be applying to the uni, and decided to wait until the best moment
  • geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2022
    Sorry, zombie thread
  • edited July 2023
    I remember those first experiences at the wedding very well. My wife was a nursing student at med school. Here's my advice on how we did to save and save more money for our wedding. When my wife was given a lot of homework, she turned to the service of 1 authors, who helped her write papers for little money, and at that time she herself went to do the work. In this way, in the place of writing homework, she paid the authors, and during the time that she had to write the work, she earned much more than she spent on the author! Here's a life hack for you, use it :) and have a good wedding.