Wedding Woes

Finally Friday

2»

Re: Finally Friday

• mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    And I believe he legally can't stay at Mar-a-Lago for more than something like 2 weeks?  So he's going to have to find a new place to have him.  
    Yup and from what I read the town has already sent a letter from their lawyers reminding him of that agreement. 
    To remain a club, it cannot be someone's residence.  Something about ordinances or whatever.  So, he has to go back to NY and they really want his ass as their guest of the state. 
    Considering how many renters GTFO last summer I wonder how many open spaces are in Trump Tower. 

• Something else that is fun about wood-look LVP or tile is you can put them in "wet" rooms, where you would normally NEVER put hardwoods.  Like the kitchen and bathroom.

I literally cannot think of anyone I know who does not have wood floors in their kitchen.  
  • @charlotte989875 ooh I like that! Do you remember what brand you used? That's about the color I am thinking.
  • Jstump2 said:
    Thanks @short+sassy! We actually used the tile-looking wood in our current bathroom (greyed out look). It did turn out great but I'm not sure if I would love it for the whole house, especially since we are the ones that are going to install it. Lol. I will have to take a look at the luxury vinyl that's currently out. Our house now has vinyl wood-look in the kitchen but it is cheap and you can tell so that kind of makes me bias I think. Ideally I would like the same floor to flow between the kitchen and living room so the waterproof aspect is a good point! 
    I didn't realize you all are going to DIY the floors.  Awesome!  Per my H, installation is a breeze for LVP.  What was not a "breeze", was scraping off the old 2-3 layers of linoleum flooring before installing that LVP, lol.

Pro tip.  I looked far and wide for the best value on LVP flooring I could find for the quality I wanted.  Sherwin Williams Flooring was the clear winner.  The same company that is famous for paint.  But the flooring is totally separate stores.  They primarily cater to commercial clients (developers, apartment complexes, real estate investors, GC's), but are also open to the public. There aren't too many of them across the US but, if you have one near you, definitely check them out.  They sell all types of flooring.  They don't do installation themselves, but can arrange that for their customers with third party vendors.

The flooring above is on the thicker side (I think 12mm) and water proof.  It was only $2.07/ square foot vs. similar quality flooring I found at Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators for closer to the $3/square foot range.  We chose to install ourselves, but they definitely tempted me with installation prices they estimated at only $1.05-$1.25/ square foot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy Thank you so much for the tip! I just googled and SW has a floor store in the same city I work! I'm near Cleveland and I know they have a headquarter here so that might be why, I will definitely check them out. My Husband is very handy and an armature wood-worker her has built a few furniture pieces and has a side gig making wedding arches. We joke that the house were in now was the test run for our next house. Since it was our first home and we did everything on the cheap plus we leaned a lot from some mistakes. My husband is the guy that will watch a million youtube videos before he does anything, lol.
  • Jstump2 said:
    @short+sassy Thank you so much for the tip! I just googled and SW has a floor store in the same city I work! I'm near Cleveland and I know they have a headquarter here so that might be why, I will definitely check them out. My Husband is very handy and an armature wood-worker her has built a few furniture pieces and has a side gig making wedding arches. We joke that the house were in now was the test run for our next house. Since it was our first home and we did everything on the cheap plus we leaned a lot from some mistakes. My husband is the guy that will watch a million youtube videos before he does anything, lol.
    Oh good!  It's a relatively new concept for SW.  I think they started their flooring line about 4 years ago.  The last time I looked was about 18 months ago and they only had a few dozen stores, but were expanding.  Fortunately, one of them was in a suburb of NOLA and it had only been open a few months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:

Something else that is fun about wood-look LVP or tile is you can put them in "wet" rooms, where you would normally NEVER put hardwoods.  Like the kitchen and bathroom.

I literally cannot think of anyone I know who does not have wood floors in their kitchen.  
    I only know two people with wood floors in the kitchen.  However, I can’t think of anyone with wood floors in the bathroom. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2021
    I did interlocking LVP in my kitchen.  Wouldn’t say it was a breeze, but nothing in my house turned out to be. It looks GREAT though.  I can show you pictures once compelte.  

• Casadena said:

Something else that is fun about wood-look LVP or tile is you can put them in "wet" rooms, where you would normally NEVER put hardwoods.  Like the kitchen and bathroom.

You all made me curious because I have never seen it and I've looked at hundreds of listings.  Albeit the vast majority of those are in NOLA and, for sure, they would be an awful choice here.  But I've also heard, in general not just for NOLA, that you don't want them in wet rooms.  I looked it up and, while it is not as bad as I was picturing, there are are also good reasons not to.

Spills that are wiped up fairly quickly are fine (what I would have assumed).  But long standing water will usually buckle and ruin them.  Though not sure how "long", long standing is.  Like, if the dishwasher overflowed while someone was at work, would the floors be okay with 8-10 hours of soaking in water?  Not sure.

Kitchens are also one of the most active rooms in the house so, while hardwood is a great durable flooring, it's not the best choice durability-wise and it will scratch up and scuff faster then other areas of the house.  Overall, there is more care involved with wood floors in a kitchen.  

Now that I know more about it, not knocking the choice.  But it wouldn't be my preference, even if I lived elsewhere.  I wouldn't want to worry about a leak or overflowing water and would be too lazy to baby them the way they should be, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Falling down the stairs is a super paranoia for me.  That's impressive 'tuck and roll'!

MIL and FIL did get in touch this week (with the Mr. Not with me.).  I don't feel like going into it, but, suffice to say, they didn't apologize sufficiently.  And, shock of shocks, this week has NOT made me want to spend more time w/ Branch Trumpvidians once they come back to this.

We're 'on vacation' this week and I swear it has made me not want to go on vacation at all.  KNow what happened last 'vacation'?  Well, it was in March....

So we're going to have 2 more days of mostly nothing, then back to the grind.
  • Casadena said:

You all made me curious because I have never seen it and I've looked at hundreds of listings.  Albeit the vast majority of those are in NOLA and, for sure, they would be an awful choice here.  But I've also heard, in general not just for NOLA, that you don't want them in wet rooms.  I looked it up and, while it is not as bad as I was picturing, there are are also good reasons not to.

Spills that are wiped up fairly quickly are fine (what I would have assumed).  But long standing water will usually buckle and ruin them.  Though not sure how "long", long standing is.  Like, if the dishwasher overflowed while someone was at work, would the floors be okay with 8-10 hours of soaking in water?  Not sure.

Kitchens are also one of the most active rooms in the house so, while hardwood is a great durable flooring, it's not the best choice durability-wise and it will scratch up and scuff faster then other areas of the house.  Overall, there is more care involved with wood floors in a kitchen.  

Now that I know more about it, not knocking the choice.  But it wouldn't be my preference, even if I lived elsewhere.  I wouldn't want to worry about a leak or overflowing water and would be too lazy to baby them the way they should be, lol.
    We had neighbors who had their dishwasher leak onto hardwood floors. It was more the amount of water than the duration. Unfortunately their kitchen. living room and hallway were all the same hardwood and open to each other. The wood buckled and everything had to be replaced. At first insurance just wanted to refinish it - which they did but shortly after it warped. I wouldn't put hardwood in a kitchen for that reason. We put LVT in our kitchen a couple of years ago and love it. We chose a tile look and it butts up against our hardwood in the living room/dining room. It looks like porcelain tile - you can't tell unless you tap it. It is grouted with thin grout lines.
  • ei34 said:
    Casadena said:

I only know two people with wood floors in the kitchen.  However, I can’t think of anyone with wood floors in the bathroom. 
    I haven't seen wood floors in a bathroom either (or a kitchen as mentioned above).

My biggest eeeeewwwwwww is when I have occasionally seen carpet in a bathroom (shudder).

I've never seen a kitchen fully carpeted, but I've seen a couple times where part of the kitchen is carpeted.  Both times it was a weird morph where the dining room vs. kitchen had an odd layout and some of the dining room carpet extended into the kitchen.  It still did not make sense either time, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree, carpet in the bathroom ewwww! My mom had kitchen carpet (it was sold as such) back in the 60s/70s. It was ugly. I would never do that. I haven't seen wood in a bathroom either.
  • When we re-did the kitchen, we had wood-look laminate.
    Different wood-look laminate in my rest of the house (except the 2 'real' bedrooms).
    But I don't trust being able to clean them in the bathroom. (we did tile there)

I will say, the kitchen laminate gets a lot of use (small house, you enter the house either through the garage into the kitchen or through the back deck into the kitchen) and has gotten wet more than a little and is fine.  But there's still a bit of paranoia about what happens when we have a major major water crisis
    (The rest of the house is to new to say it holds up)
  • ei34 said:
    Casadena said:

My guest bathrooms both have wood, but the main is tile. I see wood floors in kitchens and powder rooms a lot here. I think hardwood just fits the typical style in the area. 

We had carpet in our bathroom when I was a child. Carpet + bathing little children does not go well together. It was as gross as it sounds. Putting in tile was my parents' first DIY project. 
  • My uncle's house has wood through the kitchen.  That's the only place I can recall seeing it. 

We almost bought a house with carpet in the bathroom and were planning to rip it up if we made the offer.
  • We have LVP in Kitchen, bathrooms, laundry and hallway.  Carpet in Livingroom and bedrooms.