Students
Options

choosing to get married in grad school or not + covid!

Hi, it's my first time posting here! My fiance and I got engaged last week after 6 years together. We are both 22 and have talked about the wedding and life we want together for several years now. I would appreciate some outside perspectives.

The main issue is we are both about to graduate undergrad. We both want to enter graduate school the next immediate year. However, neither of us want to go if the program will be held online due to covid - we would defer for a year. I feel very stressed and unsure trying to decide when to get married. It's important to me to do within the next few years, but I also don't want to be foolish and put ourselves into debt, or stress ourselves out way too much while in school. However, I am not very excited by the idea of waiting until after we graduate, especially if we defer another year. I am realistically worried about money, as we both have worked and supported ourselves entirely through undergrad and will continue to do so in grad school.

My partner is sort of leaning towards waiting until after we graduate, but I am worried that we'll be just as busy then with doing internships and things like that that we need to do for the careers we want. Almost like 'will there ever be a time when we aren't busy'? I feel like we always will be, so we might as well just plan it..that was the debate before covid. And now, with covid, I don't even want to begin planning because I want to be sure that this is over before setting anything. To be fair, I think after we graduate we would be making more money, so that could be one problem reduced. It feels so hard to talk about a budget when we don't know what job I will be working in grad school (I'm currently in an undergrad-only student position), if we'll even be in school at all next year...there's so much to think about.

There is another reason towards waiting that I might post elsewhere about. I have spent most of my undergrad either very sick or very busy with work, and as a result have a pretty small social group. I have very dear friends, but they don't live in the same state. I really hope for the opportunity to meet some good, close friends during grad school, to have more support in my own life and to have people that live here to celebrate with. It's felt very isolating trying to celebrate our engagement during covid with...not a ton of people to tell.

I'm aware that there's not any real rush, etc, but this is something that I want very much. I feel ok about our ability to plan a wedding and have it during school, but I don't have a lot of people to talk to about this, so again, I would appreciate some opinions. I feel like my life is going to change drastically next year, and it feels absolutely impossible to even talk about a budget or planning a wedding when I'm not sure if I'll be in school, what job I'll be working, if we are in school if we'll be able to tell if the stress will be manageable, etc. 

I'm sorry for the long post! I hope this is alright. Thank you in advance 

Re: choosing to get married in grad school or not + covid!

• Options
    Hi, it's my first time posting here! My fiance and I got engaged last week after 6 years together. We are both 22 and have talked about the wedding and life we want together for several years now. I would appreciate some outside perspectives.

The main issue is we are both about to graduate undergrad. We both want to enter graduate school the next immediate year. However, neither of us want to go if the program will be held online due to covid - we would defer for a year. I feel very stressed and unsure trying to decide when to get married. It's important to me to do within the next few years, but I also don't want to be foolish and put ourselves into debt, or stress ourselves out way too much while in school. However, I am not very excited by the idea of waiting until after we graduate, especially if we defer another year. I am realistically worried about money, as we both have worked and supported ourselves entirely through undergrad and will continue to do so in grad school.

My partner is sort of leaning towards waiting until after we graduate, but I am worried that we'll be just as busy then with doing internships and things like that that we need to do for the careers we want. Almost like 'will there ever be a time when we aren't busy'? I feel like we always will be, so we might as well just plan it..that was the debate before covid. And now, with covid, I don't even want to begin planning because I want to be sure that this is over before setting anything. To be fair, I think after we graduate we would be making more money, so that could be one problem reduced. It feels so hard to talk about a budget when we don't know what job I will be working in grad school (I'm currently in an undergrad-only student position), if we'll even be in school at all next year...there's so much to think about.

There is another reason towards waiting that I might post elsewhere about. I have spent most of my undergrad either very sick or very busy with work, and as a result have a pretty small social group. I have very dear friends, but they don't live in the same state. I really hope for the opportunity to meet some good, close friends during grad school, to have more support in my own life and to have people that live here to celebrate with. It's felt very isolating trying to celebrate our engagement during covid with...not a ton of people to tell.

I'm aware that there's not any real rush, etc, but this is something that I want very much. I feel ok about our ability to plan a wedding and have it during school, but I don't have a lot of people to talk to about this, so again, I would appreciate some opinions. I feel like my life is going to change drastically next year, and it feels absolutely impossible to even talk about a budget or planning a wedding when I'm not sure if I'll be in school, what job I'll be working, if we are in school if we'll be able to tell if the stress will be manageable, etc. 

I'm sorry for the long post! I hope this is alright. Thank you in advance 
    Congratulations on your engagement. I don't have a lot of helpful advice but I would say, don't plan for a wedding that you can't afford now. My DH and I had an 18month engagement and we booked things in order of priority, evaluating our budget at each step, booking/buying what we could afford at the time.The Knot's budget tracker was actually very useful at getting an appropriate idea of how much we should budget for each area.

As for waiting because you might have more friends in the future, I would try not to think about this. It puts too much pressure on future friendships to be "wedding worthy". The number one way to keep costs down is to keep the guest list small. You can always plan to include 10- 15 extra people in your budget if you want to add some last minute. 
  • Options
    What kind of wedding are you planning on? How much can you comfortably afford to spend on a wedding right now? What if one of you loses your job tomorrow, can you still afford to spend that? How are you going to fund grad school? Can you afford a big blow to your savings now and still pay for grad school? 

If you're planning to do something small with just a handful of people, I'd say go ahead and plan now. But if you're planning on anything that's larger than 25 or so people, I would wait. Covid is still really unpredictable right now, and having to cancel or postpone may add extra expense. It sounds like funds are already tight. 

One other thing that I'll add, depending on how you plan to finance grad school, you should talk to your financial aid office. Sometimes grants and federal funding look at financial resources, which can change if you're married. 
  • Options
    I think your instinct of “will there ever not be a busy time” is right. There’s always going to be something that you’ll need to do or budget for. After grad s hook may be internships/ new jobs, saving for houses/ cars/ whatever. If you want to get married before grad school plan the wedding you can afford with the people you care about. 

Also I’d be careful about thinking you’re going to make life long friends in grad school. It may happen (hell I met my husband in our PhD program) but you may not come out with super close friends. I wouldn’t put off your wedding in the hopes that you might make closer friends. If that happens, great! Build space into your budget to include extra folks, but I wouldn’t delay a wedding for it; it puts way too much pressure on those potential friendships. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    thank you so much, everyone, for your input. I guess part of my struggle is that I don't know when I will be able to afford the wedding I want - maybe I get a really good well-paying job in grad school, scholarships, etc, and we can save a lot - maybe not, so I don't want to assume I can't afford it and then I can :/. That is a huge aspect of my frustration, as I want to know now, haha!! I appreciate hearing your experiences and like the idea of budgeting and looking at things more step-by step. I will absolutely check out the budget tracker. 

That is a really good idea about budgeting for extra people, and I value the input about the pressure on future friendships, I see that now. thank you. I know that above all I want a special day with my best friend.

Thank you for validating my worries that I will always be busy, haha! We have always wanted a smaller wedding, but I think even if we can't plan right now we should decide on a relatively firm guest count, and other things, so we can use that information to help decide. even though I will still have to think about this for a while, these tips will help me either way! 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Remember, you can always have a party for no reason later on if you suddenly find yourself able to afford a big one in the future. There doesn't have to be a wedding for you to have an ice sculpture. ;)

Edited to fix sentence structure.
  • Options
    My recommendation - start grad school anyway!!!  Get some of the core coursework done even if it means online, and most of all you'll be a year closer to other things you're going to want to do in life too.  Just because you're in grad school doesn't mean you have to put off getting married, it just means budgeting your time and choosing a date that works best for your programs.  

The best advice whether you're in grad school or not is do not plan an event you can't afford!  I've been to amazing weddings held at the county fairgrounds and I've been to dreadful weddings at super spendy expensive "wedding" venues, it's the energy you bring to the day that matters, and it's a lot easier to enjoy yourselves when you aren't worried about how much you spent while still providing a great experience for your guests.  

The challenge right now with planning though is all the events for 2020 that were cancelled and rescheduled for 2021 and 2022, by the time things fully open up without restrictions again is going to be 2023, by then, you both could be completely done with Grad School and into well paying professions!
  • Options
    I definitely feel you with the "we will always be busy" thing; I've had a similar discussion with my own fiancé (who does really want to get married, but constantly worries about money - not just the wedding, but supporting ourselves after; there is always a reason to delay, always a "what if" to postpone for - and we didn't have a pandemic on our hands when we got engaged in 2019!).

I would go ahead and plan a small wedding (tiny, TINY wedding, like immediate-family-only small). If you want to have a big celebration for your first or second or fifth or whatever anniversary, you can even break out the dress and renew your vows in a big wedding do-over (and if you point to CoViD as the reason for your small original wedding, ain't nobody gonna fault you for playing it safe today and then living it up when things are safe and you've got more stable finances).

Also, I wish you luck in the job hunt after grad school; part of the reason our finances are tight is that I haven't been able to get a decent job, even after graduating college with two separate degree fields (huzzah for parents that will pay for you to go back! Everyone should be so lucky). Parents are also willing to help with paying for the wedding and perhaps with a house, but after that, day-to-day living will be on us, and given my unemployability, it seems to fall on future husband's shoulders; make sure you've got a backup plan for if one or both of you can't get a job that pays diddlysquat. I don't know what the plan should be (given you're putting yourselves through college, I'm guessing your families aren't well-off enough to offer a big safety net), but "for richer or poorer" could end up being put to the test much sooner than you'd like.
  • Options
    if he was older and had his own money or job to support you for a small period of time i'd say go for it.Also covid is a great excuse to invite less guests and spend less in your wedding.So put everything down and make the best decision for you and your future