Wedding Woes

Fri-Yay

I'm excited b/c my birthday is officially in one week!!  I have excellent self-indulgent plans.  

Image result for my body is ready gif

Otherwise, SSDD.  Work has been intense lately; I've been bumped up into some responsibilities that I don't mind, but I'm not really sure I want to be doing?  I think I can be good at them and I know I'll be helping my staff, but also...ugh.

Re: Fri-Yay

• My mail return bras have been received so between that & bras I'll be returning this weekend, I feel comfortable to repurchase 2 bras plus potentially get a blazer. Maybe I'll just wait and get a vest from Amazon I've been eyeing .... idk

I really want the results to come in now ...
  • Happy Birthday Week @VarunaTT
    @Casadena I wouldn't be seeing them either.

Not a lot happening here. DS and I went to a local nursery to pick up some plants. We had Indian for dinner. Tomorrow is our playdate at the big park and hopefully we will get to pick up our car. 
    I watched Unorthodox (or something like that), it was really good. It was a limited series so it doesn't take up too much time.

• I enjoyed Unorthodox too @missJeanLouise
  • Happy Birthday Week @VarunaTT
    @Casadena I wouldn't be seeing them either.

Not a lot happening here. DS and I went to a local nursery to pick up some plants. We had Indian for dinner. Tomorrow is our playdate at the big park and hopefully we will get to pick up our car. 
    I watched Unorthodox (or something like that), it was really good. It was a limited series so it doesn't take up too much time.

If you didn't read her books, I highly recommend.  I thought the show was good, but hearing the story directly from the person who experienced it was great.  Deborah Feldman.  
  • Have Fun @charlotte989875 !
    @Casadena I will check them out. I thought it was such a moving story.

Does anyone have a automatic curling iron they would like to recommend? For long, fine hair?
  • I have long fine hair @missJeanLouise. But I don’t do anything with it.  I bought this curler/flat iron combo and watched videos on how to use it, but literally can’t. I’m a flop with hair.

LANDOT 1 Inch Professional Hair Straightener Ceramic Flat Iron for Straightening Hair, Instant Heating, Straightens Curls with Adjustable Temp 140-465℉ Fit All Hair Types, Anti Frizz, Dual Voltage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKNG257/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_53NM8KFW8S2G1K5M88D2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Tonight I have zoom games, tomorrow is date night.  M and I are going to see how theatre going is, they opened  them up a few weeks ago.  @VarunaTT, fellow movie goer, have you gone since this whole thing started?

• edited February 2021
    @CharmedPam I suck at hair. I am team messy bun 99% of the time. I was looking at this though

I have a straighten and can get a couple good curls from it but my arm gets tired and the back looks so bad.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2021
    @missJeanLouise So in my spare time, I watch a lot of beauty bloggers. Milabu is awesome and does a lot of curling iron reviews.

https://youtu.be/JXRfu3qkzj0

you can go down a rabbit hole with her.  Actually she reviewed the barrel one, where it curls in the barrel for you and gave it a good rating. I would have purchased it, but literally just bought the one I mentioned.  

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2021
      @VarunaTT, fellow movie goer, have you gone since this whole thing started?
    They opened here for a month? I think, in early fall.  I nearly went every day, mostly because they were showing classic movies.  So I saw Black Panther, the first Michael Keaton Batman, Labyrinth, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Goonies...maybe a few others that were just fun to see on the big screen again.  They closed back down pretty quickly though.  I think it was just too expensive to operate with the seat distancing requirements.

The small indie theatre is open here still and I keep debating going b/c they do have some movies I want to see (Promising Young Woman being one).  I'm just pissy b/c it's a longer walk and it's smaller with all that entails for comfort, screen, and concessions.  I want my Regal membership back!!!  I'm really scared that the theatre will actually close down, so I'm kind of holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed.  I do believe the AMC here is open, but it's on the other side of town.  I might make an exception on my birthday, b/c I really want to see Nobody when it opens.

ETA:  I just went and checked.  Not only are they open, they have the last 2 LOTR movies in Imax, so I think I know what I'm doing on Saturday.

Also, Judas and the Black Messiah is a fantastic movie.  I have enjoyed the HBO Max crossovers with Warner Brothers.
  • What’s “nobody” about? There’s not much playing but I’m an AMC fan myself.  The one we’re thinking of going to is pretty far actually... but it’s something to do?  Promising young women got good reviews! If we do go, we’ll probably  see fatale or land. 

• MKD - Fingers crossed for your exam.  Did you decide how many bras you will buy?  Or are you sticking with 2?

Pam - My sister bought out a movie theatre and we went with them and my SIL plus all the kids.  It was done nicely, but we had the whole thing to ourselves!  

The kid was a hot mess this morning.  I just hope she got better while at daycare, I felt so bad at drop off.  First, I forgot my mask, which isn't too big a deal as I can keep my distance, since parents can't go inside anyway.  But then, just as we are about to arrive, DD remembered that she forgot her vitamins (ie gummies!) and burst into tears.  As she was walking in, I said "Don't worry, you can have your vitamins after dinner!" and the one tracking the temps says "You are crying over vitamins?" and laughed.  Hoping that started her turnaround.

We will probably be painting the family room ceiling this weekend, H has worked to patch all our drywall issues from the duct tape removal.  But we need more paint and are trying to find a better color match through samples.  Our trials of using actual color match technology have never been successful.  They painted our house, including ceilings an off white color.  I found a similar color that we've used for touch ups and some bigger paint jobs, but the family room gets so much natural light, the color difference is easily noticeable.  If I can find a suitable color, then we can avoid painting the whole ceiling!

If we can complete the painting, then H will hook up the can lights to the power.  I can't wait!
  • I'm so happy that it's Friday! Work has been the suck this week; I'm ready for a break. It will be another low key weekend, and I'm fine with that. Costco, chores, and a doggie play date suits me just fine. Hopefully some sleep too. 

MIL decided she needs to come visit next weekend. I have mixed feelings about that.  
  • @OliveOilsMom Depending on price. Definitely 2 for now. I may just wait and get another later and figure out another colour. Right now I'm getting a nude and black. If I find I wear more lighter tops, I may get another colour that's still pretty nude {ie; light pink or whatever}
  • @VarunaTT, treat yo'self!

@Casadena, I hope your IL's have had their full vaccinations.  I don't trust FL.  I would avoid people who had been there recently also.

@charlotte989875, enjoy skiing!  I've actually never skied before, lol.  Though I've gone snow boarding a few times.  My H and I usually go to Lake Tahoe every 2-3 years.  But, partially thanks to the pandemic, it has now been an even longer time since we were last there.  We drove snowmobiles the last time we were there.  It was the first time for both of us.  I loved it so much!  It was even more fun then I thought it would be.

Funny "when I first moved to NOLA" story.  I grew up in So. CA, in the beach resort town of San Clemente.  Where it was a "chilly" day if it dipped below 55 in the winter, lol.  BUT, it was only a 2-3 hour drive to get up into the mountains and snow.  I assumed it would be something similar in S. Louisiana and asked my first NOLA b/f, "Oh hey!  We should take a long weekend and go snowboarding.  Where are the closest mountains?"  Him (looking at me confused and like I'm a crazy person), "Ummm...Colorado."

Nothing planned for the weekend.  It's still really cold today.  I'm off work soon and can't wait to get back home and snuggle under some blankets.

A couple pieces of great news!

--My horrible "no contact, no pay" tenant very, very briefly spoke to my H a couple weeks ago because we needed to access their attic to fix the HVAC for the unit next door.  She said they are moving out, but didn't know when.  Very long story short that is still continuing on, she contacted a city agency to pay her back rent and it was direct-deposited to me yesterday.  Phew!  It was such a relief!  But it only takes her to March 4th.

I assume she is lying about "moving out soon", but omg I hope she isn't lying and is out before then.  We're going to send her a text message today or tomorrow and dangle her security deposit as a carrot.  Basically, now that her rent is up to date through March 4th, as long as she is out by then with no medium/major damage, we will waive all break lease penalties and return her SD, in full.  The nice way of saying, "GTFO, you worthless POS."  I've unfortunately had tenants before who didn't pay their rent.  That's one thing.  But she is the first one I've ever had who also completely ignored us on the matter.  That's an entirely different thing and totally inexcusable.

--My H thinks his interview went well.  They told him they would be notifying candidates about two weeks from now.  But the other awesome, awesome thing is they are hiring for a few IT positions!  So my H and the other candidates they are interviewing are in the running for all of them.  It's a new business that is opening up in NOLA in the Spring, but with a huge global company. My H doesn't have a driver's license (long story, though nothing bad), but the location is near the Downtown area and less then 3 miles from our house.  So it would be easily accessible for him via bike or bus/streetcar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Casadena, I hope your IL's have had their full vaccinations.  I don't trust FL.  I would avoid people who had been there recently also.

Yeah, MIL just had her first one yesterday bc even though she was in the 2nd tier group (that was able to start making appointments like a month ago in IL) she spent a few weeks complaining that no one reached out to her to set up an appointment (wtf?) and was finally able to get in touch with the county for an appointment last week.  So now she has to stretch out the ideal spacing bc they just couldn't possibly not go to Florida exactly when they want to.  FIL won't be eligible for quite awhile (under 65, no underlying conditions).  I have a lot of feelings about their choices in general, but they can do whatever they want as long as i'm not exposed any more than we have to be.  AKA, we're not seeing you for Easter and you can deal with it. 
  • Casadena said:

@Casadena, I hope your IL's have had their full vaccinations.  I don't trust FL.  I would avoid people who had been there recently also.

Yeah, MIL just had her first one yesterday bc even though she was in the 2nd tier group (that was able to start making appointments like a month ago in IL) she spent a few weeks complaining that no one reached out to her to set up an appointment (wtf?) and was finally able to get in touch with the county for an appointment last week.  So now she has to stretch out the ideal spacing bc they just couldn't possibly not go to Florida exactly when they want to.  FIL won't be eligible for quite awhile (under 65, no underlying conditions).  I have a lot of feelings about their choices in general, but they can do whatever they want as long as i'm not exposed any more than we have to be.  AKA, we're not seeing you for Easter and you can deal with it. 
    Bummer!  At least she had the first one.

I meant to include this in my Fri. post, but today has been two weeks since I got my first Mirena dose, so I now have about 85% immunity protection.  Yeah!  And my second dose is already scheduled for March 8th.

My poor H.  Old enough to need the shingles vaccine, but too young for the COVID one, lol.

This was the first year he got the shingles vaccine and got the first dose late last year.  I think he needed to wait two months for the second dose and no more than 6 months.  He could have had his second shot sometime in January so, note to self, next time we are at Winn Dixie he needs to get his second shingles shot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ordered the cream pillow covers for my couch that I posted the other day and they are supposed to be delivered today! I'm excited to see how they look in person.

Tomorrow my  5-year old "A" has her swim lesson and then we are looking at a house. Then we will probably grocery shop and clean up a bit. Sunday, I want to take A ice skating at a nearby outdoor rink. She very concernedly asked about falling through the ice the other night. I forgot we had watched "Legends of the Guardians" and Jack Frost's origin story was falling through the ice. 
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2021
    What’s “nobody” about? There’s not much playing but I’m an AMC fan myself.  The one we’re thinking of going to is pretty far actually... but it’s something to do?  Promising young women got good reviews! If we do go, we’ll probably  see fatale or land. 
    Nobody is the same production team as John Wick and is pretty basically the same idea and set in the same world as John Wick, only with Bob Odinkirk who is one of my favorite actors.  I love action adventure with good fight choreography and John Wick EXCELS at that, so I'm really excited.

https://youtu.be/wZti8QKBWPo

ETA: Okay, it seems there is a question of if they were set in the same world.  I just made the assumption, but it seems a lot of people are making that same assumption.
  • My birthday is in about a month and a half and I cannot believe I am at the back half of my 30s. I was just looking at pictures of my 30th birthday. I went on a Jamaican cruise and I drank way too much rum 😬

I feel very productive today.

I’ve been kind of in a funk lately. I miss my family and friends, I never leave the house, and as much as I love the baby I miss adult interaction 😂

This pandemic can kick rocks

• Ugh your ILs @Casadena
    Happy bday week kickoff @VarunaTT
    Enjoy skiing @charlotte989875 !

Just returning from the Museum of Natural History with the kids. It was our first time there in a year as well as my first time even in the city (Manhattan) since the pandemic began.  They have a strict mask policy and enforced timed entry in place, so it felt good to be there, for many reasons.  Very uneventful weekend planned.