Wedding Party

Adult Children Roles in Wedding

We want a small, intimate wedding.  My fiancé has a 24 year old daughter and 19 year old son.  I have a 25 year old daughter.   I would like my daughter to be my maid of honor and he would like to have his son as his best man.  We would feel terrible leaving out his daughter and it’s just not an option.  One idea is that we have his daughter officiate.   She has a religion degree and getting ordained may be something she’d like.   But, I also don’t necessarily think of her as a  “public speaking” person so that may be out.  Any other ideas would be much appreciated!  

Re: Adult Children Roles in Wedding

• MobKaz said:
    We want a small, intimate wedding.  My fiancé has a 24 year old daughter and 19 year old son.  I have a 25 year old daughter.   I would like my daughter to be my maid of honor and he would like to have his son as his best man.  We would feel terrible leaving out his daughter and it’s just not an option.  One idea is that we have his daughter officiate.   She has a religion degree and getting ordained may be something she’d like.   But, I also don’t necessarily think of her as a  “public speaking” person so that may be out.  Any other ideas would be much appreciated!  

There is no reason your FI can't have a best son and best daughter and share the role.  You can collectively just call all the offspring the "wedding party" or "witnesses" and leave it at that. Officiating may be a difficult/emotional role to play for the daughter.  It is important that if you make the request, that she feel comfortable declining if it is a role she would prefer not fulfilling.  You don't want to put anyone "on the spot."
    I love this idea. I don't think "sides" are always necessary for a wedding party, and I think it especially makes sense to do away with that idea here. Everyone's included in an equal way, and his daughter won't feel obligated to accept a role she doesn't feel ready to take on.
  • Love this idea!  Thank you!