Wedding Woes

Monday Mood

I am in a purging/cleaning mood lately and I really wish I was home cleaning out my fridge/closets instead of at the office today. I doubt my motivation will last through this evening. Lol. I am getting my second vaccine tomorrow and I'm toying with the idea of taking a sick day on Wednesday if I feel even just a little bit bad.

Re: Monday Mood

• I’ve been in a spring cleaning mood too. I’ve gotten rid of three bags so far and I would really like to do more. I’m even cleaning the office at work. 

Weekend was good. We did a lot of hiking and some walks. I helped FSIL make her invitations to the best of my etiquette convincing ability. Lol. I also got a facial which was okay. I don’t feel like the place I go to is all that, but I have a bunch of credits to use before I can cancel the membership so I’m stuck with it. 

Otherwise SSDD. Already looking forward to Friday and the three day weekend we’re taking. 

• Yay for 2nd vaccine - I would definitely take a sick day if you have the time!

My allergies are HORRIBLE the last couple days and I don't know if I can take anything for it.  My OB hasn't responded yet.  H has his 2nd vax Saturday morning, just felt kind groggy and achy for part of yesterday, but overall pretty good!  I'm at the office today and my eyes are itchy and swollen and the lights are too bright, lol.  I may have maintenance take out a couple bulbs above my desk since no one else sits on my other side.  
  • The week always feels so LONG on Monday, lol.

We were mostly free of rain yesterday and my H power-washed our awning.  Both the top and bottom.  Plus power-washed the front of our house.  It's such a big difference!

My H also discovered the power washer will take the old paint off our porch.  Some of our neighbors have tiled porches and we've always been tempted to do that.  That is officially going to be our next home project.  Now we are just having a really hard time choosing the tile/pattern we want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Casadena Yeah, we get 40hours sick time on top of our vacation time. It's take it or loose it too (doesn't roll over) so I usually have days left and I haven't used any yet this year. Hopefully I don't feel too bad and then I can do some cleaning Wednesday if I take off!

Yay for powerwashing @s@"short+sassy" ! Tile sounds like a neat project for the porch. I really want a front porch on our next house!
  • We had a pretty good weekend, even snuck in a little day-date while my parents watched the girls. We have a season pass for the zoo and did a quick visit in hopes to see the new tiger cubs but they weren't in their exhibit when we passed by, hopefully next time!
  • Also spring cleaning here!
    M finally went through some of his shirts. He has more, but at least he started :)
    We've basically taken like 95% of BK's 18m pants out of rotation. Yeh it's still cold but I'll just grab 2T pants out of the dresser.

I'm buying a tote for under her bed this week with curbside grocery pick up. It'll be for bedding because right now we have a dresser for her, but after her fall stuff come out it'll be basically empty. Plus when we take the side rail off, even though the dresser should be secured - I really don't trust it.

It's the ikea MALM dresser that got recalled for tipping over. We did pick up the security portion for it, but haven't added on because I've never been sold about keeping it in her room.
    We have time. We're not removing side rail until probably around xmas - unless thanksgiving gets cancelled again, then we may do it then. I just want a long time frame in case she's impossible to get down. Extra time to sleep.

ANYWAYS
    I order 3T stuff from H&M. Free delivery to Ontario, plus extra 20% off {which meant overall roughly $75 off my order}
    It's really cute stuff. I'll share when I get it in :)

I picked up a little halloween costume for her, and a couple plain tshirts for myself
    Butterfly Costume - Light purple/butterfly - Kids | H&M CA

I finally measured our yard and trying to figure out how much stone dust we need is impossible. I'm gonna have my mum ask her bf how much lol
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2021
    speaking of spring purging, I think I need someone out to do a once over on my house.  Always feel good about that.

i had my a/c tune up apt moved from Friday to Saturday, then on Saturday to next saturday, so I hope it works out.  Other than that, had dinner with some friends, got them hooked on “Pig Royalty” from discovery +, and then caught up on all my guilty pleasure shows on D+ on Sunday. 

• Weekend is a blur. Not sure I even remember what we did Saturday and then Sunday went to see my family to celebrate my niece's birthday. While I like going there bc it makes the day go fast, B is always a nightmare when we get back since he misses naptime aside from falling asleep in the car on the way home. He fights bedtime, takes forever to fall asleep, and it's just miserable. 

I saw my niece in February and I swear she grew 2 inches between then and yesterday. She's 12 and I was surprised she's almost as tall as me now
  • Oh, H and I are finally starting some shows.  We watched The Morning Show on appletv and i HIGHLY recommend for those who have access and haven't watched.  Now we're in the middle of SAFE on Netflix by Harlan Coben.  I always liked his books.  Any other recommendations (we have pretty much every streaming service)??  H is not really into reality TV or romcom type shows and I dont' love anything too fantasy.  
  • speaking of spring purging, I think I need someone out to do a once over on my house.  Always feel good about that.
    I'm convinced someone else can purge your stuff better than you lol
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2021
    speaking of spring purging, I think I need someone out to do a once over on my house.  Always feel good about that.
    I'm convinced someone else can purge your stuff better than you lol
    I'm in SUCH a purging mood lately too.  It's so hard atm though because i've either been pregnant or WFH (aka sweats) for 2 whole years now and I have lots of clothes I really like but no idea if they fit or not or if they will post baby.  I really miss the gym and feeling like a real person and not a puffy balloon animal. 

ETA: Is selling clothes/accessories on Poshmark or FB worth the trouble?  I don't have any "good" brands - mostly LOFT and target type stuff  but lots of it is in great condition.  Just curious. 
  • @Casadena I sell on FB, I had good luck selling maternity stuff but regular clothes notsomuch. Now if you're just trying to sell for a small amount of $ vs taking to goodwill it might be ok but I wouldn't expect to get much. 

I know some people do well on sites like Poshmark, I've just never understood it bc when I look all I see is overpriced stuff that you then have to pay shipping on and I'd never buy it. But clearly people are buying 
  • Casadena said:
    Yay for 2nd vaccine - I would definitely take a sick day if you have the time!

My allergies are HORRIBLE the last couple days and I don't know if I can take anything for it.  My OB hasn't responded yet.  H has his 2nd vax Saturday morning, just felt kind groggy and achy for part of yesterday, but overall pretty good!  I'm at the office today and my eyes are itchy and swollen and the lights are too bright, lol.  I may have maintenance take out a couple bulbs above my desk since no one else sits on my other side.  
    Hopefully they get back to you soon, but mine told me to take over the counter Claritin and Benadryl at night- I have terrible allergies and took both daily during my pregnancy. Hope you get some relief soon! 
  • Not much here- weekend was good but went by way too quickly! Saturday I got out to a farmers market with my friend. Everyone was masked, people stayed far away from each other, and it was so good to see a friend in person! 

Yesterday the weather was beautiful and I got a long run in! I’m not quite in marathon shape yet but getting there!!
  • Has anyone ever had phantom baby kicks? H had a vasectomy a year ago and I have been having regular periods so I really don't think I am pregnant, but I am sitting here feeling what feel like baby kicks and it is really freaking me out.
  • @Casadena I'm in a BST group on FB for Loft, J Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic clothes and similar brands. People on there seem to do really well and I've bought a ton of stuff in great condition.
  • Joining the group feeling like purging/ I got rid of all of my mismatched Tupperware this weekend and now have room in that cupboard which is great. My kitchen storage isn’t good so next up tackling the “pantry” now that I’m no longer in Covid-hoarding mode. 
  • We cleaned and purged last weekend and it was glorious.  I always feel the urge in the spring and fall to purge.  In the spring it's to freshen up and get rid of the winter blahs and in the fall, I want my house cleaned and organized since we'll be inside a lot more.  

Weekend was pretty good.  We had a low-key Friday night.  I've restarted Happy Endings (it's on HBOMax and Hulu).  I love that show so much.  It should have gotten more seasons. 

Saturday, we met our friends to play some laser tag with the kids.  After that we came back to the house for dinner and had a bonfire.  My friend L and I planned out our MI trip highlights.  

Sunday, we watched the F1 race early and then did some running around.  I then worked on some stitching and we had an extremely relaxing evening.  

It could possibly snow tomorrow...WTF?  

• I have been *thinking* about purging things... Does that count, lol.

We had the most chill weekend. I don't think I left the house or got out of my pajamas for 2 days. It was glorious.
    This week is a week. At least it is ramadan so DH is working less hours but it doesn't make it any less of a week. This weekend, I heard about a 99dh breakfast buffet/ pool pass deal that I am going to investigate. If it is real then I will try to do that on Friday. Saturday, DH and I have massages scheduled. It is a new to us company so FX they do a good job. 
  • banana468 said:
    I just pulled the trigger on a sideboard for our kitchen.

We have tons of stuff and not enough storage.  After back and forth and DH's resistance to doing a major upgrade to the kitchen this year (which I get because it does mean upheaval and contractors in the house during covid) I at least convinced him that we need more storage. We will get rid of a kitchen cart and square butcher block with a sideboard that has 3 drawers and cabinet space.  I hope to get nearly everything currently on my floor into it so my fingers are crossed!  

We started measuring and talking about doing a cosmetic update to the downstairs bathroom.  We think it's original construction so late '60s and the sconces are old, have wood in them but also have outlets.  DH is going to do some rewiring and now I need to do some searching for some decent bathroom sconces.  

My big gripe last week is that we've been in the house for over 10 years and not a lot to visually show for it.  I think he's getting that picture and that I'm not looking to spend crazy money but I would like it to look less out of date. 

I put the kids practice schedules in my calendar today and I see a lot of take out in my future.  
    I feel this all so much except we’ve been in the house only 3 years. We’re probably going to hire contractors to renovate the living room. We have these ugly pillars holding up the second floor and want to put in a beam to get rid of them. And add a fireplace and bookshelves and storage. I hate the idea of people coming in during covid too. 
  • banana468 said:

We have tons of stuff and not enough storage.  After back and forth and DH's resistance to doing a major upgrade to the kitchen this year (which I get because it does mean upheaval and contractors in the house during covid) I at least convinced him that we need more storage. We will get rid of a kitchen cart and square butcher block with a sideboard that has 3 drawers and cabinet space.  I hope to get nearly everything currently on my floor into it so my fingers are crossed!  

We started measuring and talking about doing a cosmetic update to the downstairs bathroom.  We think it's original construction so late '60s and the sconces are old, have wood in them but also have outlets.  DH is going to do some rewiring and now I need to do some searching for some decent bathroom sconces.  

My big gripe last week is that we've been in the house for over 10 years and not a lot to visually show for it.  I think he's getting that picture and that I'm not looking to spend crazy money but I would like it to look less out of date. 

I put the kids practice schedules in my calendar today and I see a lot of take out in my future.  
    I feel this all so much except we’ve been in the house only 3 years. We’re probably going to hire contractors to renovate the living room. We have these ugly pillars holding up the second floor and want to put in a beam to get rid of them. And add a fireplace and bookshelves and storage. I hate the idea of people coming in during covid too. 
    If it make you guys feel better, my mom feels like this too and she has been in her house 30+ years. She said, when she bought the house, the neighborhood was full of young, working people buying older fixer uppers. Somewhere along the line, they all finished theirs and she is still working on hers. 🤷
  • banana468 said:

My advice - don't buy furniture until your kids are older - I am in NO RUSH to replace my dining room table which is disgusting.  But I do want to make my living space look like an area that isn't decorated by Carol Brady. There is SO MUCH wood paneling too. 

My short term goals:
    -get kitchen sideboard built and store items
    -shelves in my office or basement for the balance of the bulk groceries
    -Possibly update a shelf and China cabinet.  I'm fine with Ikea quality - need storage
    -Update living room/mantle.  I want built in shelves near my fireplace and want the wood laminate paneling gone.

Oh, and the kids need new beds.  At least Chiquito needs a new bed.  He's in a toddler pirate ship bed and he'll be 7 in August.  We're going to look for a loft bed/desk combo. 
  • I have been *thinking* about purging things... Does that count, lol.

We had the most chill weekend. I don't think I left the house or got out of my pajamas for 2 days. It was glorious.
    This week is a week. At least it is ramadan so DH is working less hours but it doesn't make it any less of a week. This weekend, I heard about a 99dh breakfast buffet/ pool pass deal that I am going to investigate. If it is real then I will try to do that on Friday. Saturday, DH and I have massages scheduled. It is a new to us company so FX they do a good job. 
    lol yes
  • I just got a little bad news.  One of our tenants gave their notice that they will be leaving at the end of their lease (July 31st).

They were fairly high maintenance and seemed like they weren't that happy.  So I'm not that surprised they are leaving.  Just disappointed because they have always paid their rent like clockwork which forgives a lot of sins, lol.

For example, one of them didn't realize the house doesn't have central heat and a/c until their move-in day and she was livid about that.  Not at me, but at her roommate.  The roommate was the only one of them who came to view the property.

Some of their requests made sense to me also and I would take care of them.  But some of them were ridiculous and I wouldn't.  For example, they weren't happy with amount of cabinet storage in the kitchen.  That's because they had both moved in from each living in their own one-bedroom apartment with kitchens that I assume were only a little smaller than mine.  So then they were trying to fit all the stuff for two kitchens, into one.  They wanted me to put in more kitchen cabinets.  Except there was nowhere to add cabinets that wouldn't have looked stupid or blocked other cabinet doors.  The kitchen is what it is.  I didn't sneakily add in extra cabinets for showings and then take them out again.

They are the same ones who think there is something wrong with the electricity because they keep overloading the circuits.

This is one of the units at the two next-door duplexes we renovated.  The other duplex building, we have both units rented out to a main tenant that runs them like mini-nursing and transitional homes.  We'll talk to her and see if she is interested in taking this third unit, come August. 1st.  That would be sweet to just roll right from one tenant to another without any vacancy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

My advice - don't buy furniture until your kids are older - I am in NO RUSH to replace my dining room table which is disgusting.  But I do want to make my living space look like an area that isn't decorated by Carol Brady. There is SO MUCH wood paneling too. 

My short term goals:
    -get kitchen sideboard built and store items
    -shelves in my office or basement for the balance of the bulk groceries
    -Possibly update a shelf and China cabinet.  I'm fine with Ikea quality - need storage
    -Update living room/mantle.  I want built in shelves near my fireplace and want the wood laminate paneling gone.

Oh, and the kids need new beds.  At least Chiquito needs a new bed.  He's in a toddler pirate ship bed and he'll be 7 in August.  We're going to look for a loft bed/desk combo. 
    Oh yah, we even though I hate our couch we’re stuck with it for a while because this kids is gross. We need to do the living room though because three pillars in the middle of two rooms is ugly and super inefficient use of space. And this baby and his stuff just keeps getting bigger. 

My nephew just got a loft bed/desk combo ands it really cool. I totally would have wanted one as a kid!